Our stay at the Chateau in 2010 was wonderful, so when we were looking for a comfortable place to spend a lazy week this place immediately sprung to mind. Knowing that the check-in procedure is rather weird (there is no reception; you have to phone) we got our apartment number in advance. Apartment Wye 15 was huge, but a little smelly. There was mould in the shower. The kitchen floor was rather grubby, the sofa sagged and the curtain was just a piece of cloth. We could not get the tv to work properly, many Sky channels were not available and we could not get the wifi to work. It turned out they were "switching providers". After a lot of complaints we got another apartment (13) which was better. It turned out that service is no longer on a daily basis, which is OK with us, as long as we have sufficient towels, toilet paper and bin liners. But we could not help worrying over towels and stuff, since everything was rather of less quality than promised and expected.
In this apartment the DVD-player had a very persistent feedback noise, making it unusable. No proper TV, wifi with a dongle (So I could not use my iPad) and with credit running out before the end of our stay, and no proper DVDplayer. This was not what we had expected, and certainly much less than we paid for! This is a premium-priced property, which in our last visit was worth every penny, but not this time.
This is a pity, because Buxton is a great place to stay, also in winter, and this place was high on our list of great experiences.
Nonetheless, compliments for Dale who, despite our complaints, remained helpful and friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chateau is a Bespoke & Truly Unique Peak District Hotel.The Peak Districts leading accommodation, based in Buxton. 1,2 & 3 Bedroom serviced apartments which are chic and stylish, innovative and obliging with 5 star facilities. The ultimate in luxurious accommodation which you will find almost impossible to rival. Available for Individual and group bookings for the ultimate party, wedding or special celebration. Stunning Private Country Estates Location in 5.5 acres of private woodland.Free ParkingFree Wifi ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Chateau & Wye House Hotel Buxton
- The Chateau And Wye House Suites
- The Chateau Wye Hotel
- Chateau Wye Buxton
- The Chateau & Wye House Suites Buxton, Derbyshire