“dining with family” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 110 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$38 - US$43
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Buxton offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“dining with family”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I booked a table the day before, emphasizing that the four of us would like a table near the window facing the street, but when we arrived the following day the table had not been reserved,and it was only by good luck that we found one available. The young lady who took the booking could not wait to get away from the phone, and I did wonder at the time of booking if we would actually get what we wanted. There was only one young man waiting on a vast number of tables and I thought that he coped really well, considering. Nevertheless, when we ordered a meal it took three quarters of an hour before it actually arrived at our table. The drinks came to us within ten minutes of ordering. . I ordered a pasta meal containing cheeses and chicken which when it arrived at the table was rather dry. The portion was small and we were all still hungry when we left the restaurant. I wished that I had gone elsewhere to eat. The wines are very expensive at £6.50 for a 250ml glass of chardonay. I think that a small meal of pasta with a bit of chicken and cheese, which cost me £9 plus is daylight robbery ,and I shall definitely not be eating at this establishment again.
The service was indifferent and the waiting times for meals too long. Nevertheless, there was only one young man coping with numerous tables so I have to commend him. I do not think this restaurant is good value for money bearing in mind that we all felt hungry when we left. There are definitely other restaurants in the town that are better value for money, and more generous in their proportions.

4 Thank novadra f

Brighton
“The worse pizza express EVER”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived and it looked quiet to be greater with a "food will be 40 minutes". We weren't in a hurry so no problem we thought.

Ordered starters. To be fair these were up to scratch but then all downhill.

Main course arrived. Risotto like stodgy. Pasta crunchy it had been under the hot lights for too long.

I think the staff just could not be bothered. Every customer that walked in after was told there was nothing available. Funny thing was we got our food pretty promptly and drinks too once we got the staff attention.

Come on you can do so much better

Only giving two stars for starters.

1 Thank Paul W
Peterborough
“Not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I am a Pizza Express regular so know what to expect. Staff were friendly but it was all very chaotic with slow service and parts of our order missed. Then had to wait for 15 mins by the till to persuade someone to take my money. My pizza base was also under-cooked and doughy.....after a long day walking i was starving so ate it but not up to the standard i expect

1 Thank gusPeterborough
Dereham, United Kingdom
“Really disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We travelled approx 20 miles to go to this pe as previous experiences at other restaurants have been very good, unfortunately this was not the case at this branch!! We arrived at 7.30 to a fairly empty restaurant. First we were told to 'hang on I'll find out if there is a table'. The waitress asked a young man behind her who replied no they would have to clear tables but to come back at 8.30. If it wasn't for the fact we were hungry we would have bothered returning but we did at our alloted time. The restaurant had a party of 22 people, another table with two people and us. We waited approximately 10 minutes for our drinks, which isn't too bad, about the norm and when it came to ordering the food we waited and waited and waited!! Staff seemed too busy talking between themselves to be concerned about customers! Nearly 20 minutes later we finally were able to order our food, with a young gentleman, who i must say was very apologetic about the wait but by this time we were almost over our hunger! We nevertheless ordered then finally received our food at about 9.30pm! My daughter ordered a margarita pizza but unfortunately one could see more of the base than the topping! It was overlooked and very dry! My four seasons pizza was also very dry with hardly any topping, the mushrooms looked as if they had curled up in the sun they were so dry! When we finished we were asked if we wanted dessert, another 20 minutes later, the menu finally came, we decided to order, after much deliberation, as some of us were so fed up with waiting and had decided they just wanted to leave. We finally ordered but when the order came my order, which should have been a latte with a small dessert but the latte came without the dessert!! The waiter knew I was fed up at this stage, apologised and went to get my dessert. If it wasn't for my young daughter we would have left a lot earlier as the service was appalling. There was a definite lack of staff and total lack of customer care. One young lady kept passing our table and didn't even acknowledge us, it was as if we weren't there! If waiters/waitresses are allocated certain tables then at least they could have the decency to acknowledge us! When it came to paying the bill we weren't asked whether we were happy with the meal, it was a rushed transaction and straight out of the door for us. If it hadn't have been so late I would have said something but I really could not be bothered, we just wanted to get home! Not a good experience at all which has unfortunately made us think twice about visiting pe in the future! I agree with previous comments, total lack of staff which is a shame. Come on pe take note of these comments and act upon them, it's not rocket science!!

1 Thank GillianC2
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“A restaurant in disarray”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 youngish kids). This is the third time in the last few months we have visited this branch of PE and the third time the service has been lacking. As we NEVER use vouchers in a PE we generally feel we are being ripped off as the service is always under-par making the whole eating out experience a bit of a let down. Coming from a service background (I have worked large PE's in Manchester and London, my husband is a chef and we have owned our own catering business) I notice this branch is probably lacking in good management and leadership and the service staff are not up to the job or perhaps just not bothered. Last night the restaurant was fairly busy thought not completely full. Considering the quality of the service staff, they could have done with at least 2 more bodies on the floor. When we left the restaurant at around 8pm all the tables in the lower restaurant that had been used (most of them) were un-cleared from the guests who had been there previously (only one table had been cleared and reset in the 2.5 hours we were sat there). A member of staff, who I thought was a manager as she was dressed in normal clothes, who took our order and was taking food out at times, spent a lot of the time looking at her mobile and just wandering around aimlessly. I noticed she disappeared for about 20 mins, returned, ate a strawberry in the doorway to the back kitchen area whilst looking out and the restaurant, then proceeded to walk around not really helping in any significant way. I thought this very odd behaviour for a staff member who looked like she was working but when I asked a waitress she told me she wasn't actually working. I did notice the manager (a man) say something to her which she obviously didn't take kindly to (possibly about helping out more if she was actually hanging around the restaurant looking like she was working!) and then she did run some more food. On leaving I went over and tried to explain to her that it didn't look very good when she was walking around, looking like she was supposed to be there working, but spending a lot of time looking at her phone or disappearing off somewhere. She didn't like what I said as was not very forthcoming with an apology for giving the wrong impression to all the customers who were sitting at tables waiting for food, drinks, service in general. Apparently she had actually just left a position in that Buxton branch and was going to work in a Birmingham branch - good luck Birmingham! Other things I noticed were:
the chef had to come out of the kitchen to run food. Although commendable on her part, her uniform was filthy (our guess was not just a days dirt either) and she wasn't wearing an apron; the toilets were untidy; the staff took a long time to produce bills (I'm guessing was due to the use of vouchers); no one picked up empty glassware or bottles from our table as they passed empty handed even though we put them near the edge of the table where they were passing; no one checked back once our food had been delivered and we were never asked if we wanted another drink; we had to ask for the desert menu. All in all as shambles of a meal where the service is considered. We were given 4 30%!!! off vouchers to be used in August, by our waitress as way of placating us. Perhaps PE should spend more money on staff and staff training and less on cheapening the experience for the rest of us full paying customers by giving out too many money off vouchers? Had we used a 30% voucher last night, our £72 bill would have been greatly reduced and I probably wouldn't be here now rubbishing what could have been a great restaurant experience. C'est la vie.

• 4 of 5 bubbles