“Good hotel for business stay”

Holiday Inn Basildon
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
Wales
“Good hotel for business stay”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Well located hotel within a retail park so plenty of choice for food/drink. The room was a good size and clean, the staff were helpfull. The breakfast was ok.

Stayed one night for business but would use again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
KevinCoombes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Chris R

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Basildon.

Perhaps when you next visit you will see that our breakfast standards have been even more enhanced and now include daily specials and pancakes from our Chef and his team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Kevin Coombes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Good points first.
Friendly staff who speak good English which makes a change. Excellent breakfast, very nice room.

Bad Points
Whatever the room temperature was set to didn't seem to make a difference, it was just very hot the whole time which meant you had to open the window, BIG MISTAKE, the noise at 3am was deafening and woke us up. The bar area is nice, shame the people didn't match. At one point I had to step over a person who was passed out drunk on the floor. The bar was full of overly loud drunken trash !

A nice hotel spoilt by the area it is in and the type of people it attracts.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Chris G

Thank you for your recent feedback with regards to your stay at the Holiday Inn Basildon.

Please accepy my apologies if you found our air conditioning not fully operational and for the subsequent noise you experienced from the neighbouring business and leisure park.

It is not the case that we attract such behaviour on a regular basis and am sorry to learn that a minority of guests quite clearly spoilt your stay with us.

Thank you for your great coments regading the quality of our rooms and our friendly team who will be delighted to hear that you have recognised their performance.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

In summary: Do not visit at the weekend if you want a good night's sleep as the walls are paper thin and you will hear everything. It is probably fine during the week.

First impressions were good: friendly staff; modern reception/bar area; nice room.

Before heading out for food we could hear a voice...it was actually the man in the room next door talking. Immediately I was worried whether it would be noisy at night.

I asked at reception if they had any earplugs but unfortunately they didn't. The receptionist did say though that if there were any noise problems we should call down and ask for security. This partly put my mind at rest but also indicated to me that that noise was a common issue.

It got to the early hours when the man in the room next door returned with a 'ladyfriend' and for the next few hours we heard everything that was going on in the next room and I mean everything!

I have noticed many comments from the manager responding to noise complaints saying that they have good security. However, to me this is treating the symptom and not the cause. The cause are the paper thin walls. A couple should be able to do what they want in their own room without security telling them to stop and myself in the neighbouring room should be able to get a good night's sleep without having to call security and ruining another couple's fun.

The trouble is that I doubt it is viable for the hotel to soundproof the rooms further as they'll still get plenty of business from party goers at the weekend and business people in the week. I am just glad that as a last minute booking I had not paid the standard £130 for the room as I would have been fuming then.

I won't be staying in Holiday Inn again if all the rooms are so poorly soundproofed.

Room Tip: At the weekend avoid rooms facing the front (south) and the leisure park (east) to minimise your cha...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ExplorerLauraH
Dear queenofmaps

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Basildon.

I am sorry to learn that you do not intend to return to our hotel due to the noise disturbances during your previous stay.

I will contact you separatley to discuss these issues in more detail. In the meantime I will pass on your kind comments concerning the team here, who will pleased to know that you found them to be good and friendly.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This hotel is pretty much what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn. However, as it is located in a retail park there is plenty of choice of what to eat and drink. There is a pub in walking distance, and I believe the hotel has a deal with a large gym at the retail park (I didn't try it out though)
I stayed at this hotel as it is the nearest decent hotel to Tilbury power station.
The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly. Breakfast is average (a buffet) but fine.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Luke M

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I hope that when you next stay with us you have time to use the free Gym next door and sample our new breakfast buffet which includes a selection of Chef Specials and fresh pancakes.

Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We have just returned from a great overnight stay. We were at the hotel for a formal dinner function and were pleasantly surprised with everything from the super welcome at check-in, great service at the dinner, the bars and the fantastic breakfast - a better buffet selection than some much more expensive hotels. The cleanliness is exemplary, the facilities, decor and furnishings are very good. The hotel's best asset is its staff - plentiful, helpful and pleasant. Pay the little extra for an Executive Room - well worth it. Really, really good Holiday Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Julieand Terry

I love the title of your posting.

It really is the team that makes a hotel and i am so happy to see that once again my team have delivered great customer service throughout the hotel to our guests.

I have passed your comments onto the team.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Operations Manager
uk
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed with 11 U16 netballers for a night before the National Schools Netball Finals. The staff were incredibly helpful, brought breakfast and dinner forward to suit our needs and even provided bin bags to store our kit whilst on court in the rain. Rooms were comfy, warm and well appointed. Didn't use spa or pool but both looked great.
Dinner was excellent and breakfast very good.
We went on to win the finals and become National Champions - great preparation - thanks!

Room Tip: suprisingly quiet considering how close to motorway
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear stellasanders

I am very pleased to read that the hotel was able to accomodate your specific requirements and you enjoyed your stay with us.

Congratulations on the victory, hopefully next year you can return to us and go onto to win again.

Operations Manager
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I've stayed in other Holiday Inns, however while the location of it is not my first choice, everyone who works here is very friendly, greeting me as if Ive been here often. Helpful as well, responding to any questions readily.
I always find the internet costs of Holiday Inn Hotels high and Im not sure why that should be the case with the competitive edge of broadband services. That aside, rooms on the smallish side, but everything works and bed comfortable. Thanks for a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I was on second floor looking over the green yard and toward the Lake. No complaints and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear SusanK1951

Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent stay with us, i am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have taken your notes on board regarding the internet and relayed this message to the relevent people.

I hope to see you again soon.

Daniel Sharpe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basildon
Travelodge Basildon
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
#3 of 12 in Chelmsford
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Basildon? Share your experiences!