“on behalf of one of my people”

Holiday Inn Basildon
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
South Shields, United Kingdom
“on behalf of one of my people”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I sent one of my people to stay in this hotel and the hotel treated her with rude disdain and a very nasty attitude.
The reception refused to quiet noisy revellers running around corridors during the night.
The external area around the hotel was also extremely noisy.
Reception staff chastised my staff member for putting items on account and did not even apologise when she produced the receipt paid in cash.
The hotel attempted to charge her extra for checking out a day early!!!!!!
They even questioned her as to whether she was a resident when she re-entered the hotel after accessing her car!!!

Room Tip: Do n o t stay here if you want a good service and good sleep.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Michael S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We would like to apologize for the experience your staff had during her stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make the stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Dunstable
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed here on 15th February 2014 as I was attending a friend's 40th Birthday party in Billericay. Booking was easy and quick. Room lovely and clean. I had asked for a room at the back of the hotel as I had read previous reviews about noise at the front of the hotel. I had a great view of the lake which was great and the room was quiet.
I have to say that I had one of the best nights' sleep I have had in years - the bed was fantastic, the bedlinen superb (and I only use "The White Company" bedlinen at home so am very particular.
The only downside to my stay was that somebody had been ill in the corridor and housekeeping were cleaning this up at 8.45 am on Sunday morning. I had phoned reception to ask why they were cleaning at such an early hour and they advised me of the problem. Their hoover was loud but the offending area was quickly cleaned and reception phoned to let me know that all was sorted and they wouldn't be cleaning until later. As there was a 12pm checkout, I was quickly able to resume my lay in! Later I had a problem getting the shower working but that was more my fault but a very helpful lad from housekeeping helped me with this.
Some other reviews mentioned the temperature of the room. I must have been lucky as I turned the termostat down and the room was perfect for me.
My stay overall was good - but my sleep was best ever.

Room Tip: I had room 305 which was at the rear of the hotel - a nice view of the lake to the right hand side...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
KevinCoombes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Yannaben

Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Basildon. I am so pleased that you had a great nights sleep here at the hotel or as you have described it "Your best sleep ever ". You will be pleased to know that we are upgrading some of our rooms soon so that should you choose to return - your experience with us will be even better.

ipswich
Reviewed 18 February 2014

stay here for 1 night and it was very good and staff was good to the rooms was very clean and pleanty of tea and coffee. The only down side was the room was very hot at night even with the heating of and it was noisy if you have a room at the front

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear paulIpswich

I am pleased that your overall experience with us was good one and that you found the staff to be friendly and the rooms to cleaned to a good standard. Your comments help us make improvements for the future and are very welcome indeed.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our 2 nights short break in that hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast really good we enjoyed making our own pancakes a lot! Pitty the restaurant is not used in the evening but considering location it is understandable. Would be better if showers were not old american style permanantly mounted to wall:). I am sure we will be back!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Joasiaw

Thank you for your recent comments regrading your stay at the Holiday Inn Basildon. I am pleased to read that your overall experience with us was good one and that you enjoyed your breakfast - the Pancakes are one of my favourites too. All of you feedback is vital to us and enables us to make the right choices for all of our guests in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

UK
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Covenient and comfortable stay with a good breakfast to start the day and friendly staff who were very helpful. We stayed here when visiting family close by but this could easily be used as a base for exploring the south Essex area. Good facilities close by with several eating places.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
KevinCoombes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Traveller1035

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel to offer all that you expected. Your feedback is vital to us and enables us to make the right choices for all of our guests.

England
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Really don't know where to start with this place, I stayed here not too long ago for a work function, so here goes
1. room .... was okay, clean very, small the temperature regardless of what you set it at stayed the same basically damn hot!!! so the only option was to open the window and then all I heard was the noise from the festival leisure site, needless to say I did not get a good nights sleep.
The light on the table when switched on sounded like it was going to explode so that never got used also my colleague who was staying in another room nearby kept having to go to reception as her card kept locking her out and also the lights in her room weren't working properly either.
2. Food, oh dear oh dear oh dear!!! this was a work function which included a sit down meal , the food was beyond bad I have yet to come across such poorly presented bad tasting food in my life , it was over cooked the potatoes were by far the worst I have ever come across, the sprouts were pretty god damn nasty overall the food was just awful, i'm sure the kitchen must have been pretty shocked by the amount of waste that went back as a lot of people did not eat it.
Don't even get me started on the wine, cheap and nasty!! To be given two bottles of wine for a table of twelve is pretty bad but as the wine was so bad no one drank it anyway.
Staff were okay , that's all I can say bit grumpy at times and a few us got the impression that they didn't want to be there as did the DJ
sadly I would not go back and that is the impression from others that went there also that night.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank maisie1969
Dear maisie1969

It is very alarming to read your review of our hotel and how dissatisfied you were from start to finish. Please be assured that your comments have been taken very serious and have been discussed with the relevant Head of departments, including the Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager.

Guest feedback is vital to us so that we can make the right choices for our guests and we value the comments made in your review as a consequence.

Once again - thank you for your time

Kevin Coombes

Travellers are raving about these Basildon hotels

Essex, UK
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Basildon last week while attending a function followed by an overnight stay. The rooms are great and we have used the hotel many times over the past few years.

However the bar staff give possibly the worst service I have ever experienced. Huffing and puffing as they clearly dont want to be there. The service was utterly terrible.

The rooms are great but I suggest you go out for food and drinks or be ready for a huff-fest!

Sadly we won't be coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alfiemoon999
KevinCoombes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Alfiemoon999

Thank you for the review of our hotel in connection to your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Basildon.

We pride ourselves on great service at all times and as you can see from our previous reviews it is generally something we are recognised by our guests for doing well. It is therefore alarming to read your comments concerning our team members, comments rest assured, that will be shared with my Food and Beverage Manager to investigate.

I do hope that having used us many times before you will know that your experience with us on this occasion does not reflect the standard that you would usually expect from our team here at the hotel.

Once again - thank you for your review

Kevin Coombes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Basildon
Premier Inn Basildon (Festival Park) Hotel
Premier Inn Basildon (Rayleigh) Hotel
Premier Inn Basildon (East Mayne) Hotel
Premier Inn Basildon South Hotel
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
The Oysterfleet Hotel
The Oysterfleet Hotel
#1 of 2 in Canvey Island

Been to Holiday Inn Basildon? Share your experiences!