“Loved it...”

London, United Kingdom
“Loved it...”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

9/08-11/08 13...
We stayed to meet up for friends birthday.... Only supposed to stay for one nite, but chose to stay another night, hotel was full, but the receptionist, managed to find a room for us, and it was the same room we were in the previous night.... Rooms were ideal, non evasive, facing the forest, very comfortable, we also met up with many people staying there... Staff were brilliant, n really friendly, breakfast was lovely and fresh..... brilliant weekend, definitely stay here again.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Indonesian first
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was a nice stay. Very quiet considering how close we were to a major roadway. There was nothing that stood out about this hotel. It was an average hotel. It was nice not to have to pay for wifi in the room and to be able to run a tab on our room.

• Stayed June 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We booked this hotel at fairly short notice as a place to stay while we visited family, it was a good price and we could take our dog...was a tad perturbed as I'd read some of the pretty awful reviews, but we needn't have worried.
Arrived at 3pm on hottest day of the year , hot & tired after being stuck on M25 in various holdups. Had a really lovely welcome from reception, we'd been allocated a ground floor room with a shady grassed area as we had the dog ( a Great Dane ) , picnic tables were outside , plenty of trees for shade , and discreetly placed rubbish and dog litter bins. The room was spotless , water was hot ALL the time, more than ample for our needs , there was no pressure to use hotel restaurant as we were told that literally across the road were supermarkets and other places to eat and ALL the staff we met were friendly and very welcoming. AND the windows in our room opened fully, not just an inch or so like many other places. Only downside was noise of traffic from main A127 but this was an exceptionally hot weekend so we were keeping the door and windows open most of the time. It's an AA budget hotel , no luxury items and yes, some of the buildings outside looked as though they'd seen better days BUT , it was almost half the price of travel lodge , ample free parking , tables outside the dining area to eat or just have coffee and read the papers provided. Whats not to like , ? We will be staying at this hotel EVERY time we come to Essex, and a huge thankyou to each and everyone of the staff for making our stay so comfortable and pleasant .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Was ok, I know that the rooms can be minging, ive stayed here a couple of times, but I was fortunate to get a clean one. Was pretty quiet, I don't really have any complains. It is over priced for what you get.

• Stayed August 2012
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had 2 rooms for a one night stay . 22nd June 2013 . No bath mats both rooms , one room smelt every bad of cigerett smoke ( not good if you have chest problems ).
Path ways are dangerous and we noticed that the boom gate was left open ..... so that anyone could get in . breakfast was OK but the chief cooking was not wearing apron and her hair was uncovered. Lots of noise from room next door ( lack of sleep is not good when you have drive the next morning)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank marsat2

Travellers are raving about these Basildon hotels

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

I needed an overnight stopover for a last minute business trip and booked through late rooms without checking Tripadvisor first. That was my first mistake. My second mistake was staying. I should have got back in my car and found something, ANYTHING, instead.

£65 they took from me, well, my company, to stay there. I feel mugged. Robbed. The place is shocking value for that price. I'm assuming the various blokes in various work vans in the car park were getting a better rate but even then why stay there? Dingy room with shabby fixings although the beer bottle opener on the headboard was a nice touch.

All credit to the harrassed looking lady on reception. She was friendly and when I phoned from my room to ask for a towel (the only one in the room was a stained crusty one in the bottom of the wardrobe) she came over with another. But £65?? If you must stay here (I mean its 9pm at night and everywhere else is full) then don't pay any more than £30. If they want more then sleep in your car. I mean it.

Oh and a special mention to the guy clearing his throat very loudly at 4.30am - cheers for that, really topped off my experience.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Kevin B
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We knew this would be basic, hence the price £69 for 2 adults and a child with breakfast so we were not expecting much. We were visiting family so just wanted somewhere to sleep as all houses were full due to large family party. BUT what we were not expected was the lack of customer service and I mean none, none and all, you literally had to help yourself if you wanted anything, no towels, no cutlery, half your breakfast missing not even anyone to check you out. No where to move in your room, grubby, bed that sank in the middle, musty, outdated. Just about the worst place I have stayed in my life.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!