“All good except room temperature”

Premier Inn Basildon South Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
Reviewed 21 July 2014

All good, nice and clean with friendly staff. There is a small playground which can be useful when you have children with you. The only downside is room temperature. The is no air conditioning (at last our room didn't have one) and in hot weather condition temperature inside can be very uncomfortable.
Apart from that, I can recommend it as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel was nice, staff was nice, road outside was noisy as was a hot day and needed window open due to no air con. I stayed for 2 nights and it was ok. The week previous I stayed in Travelodge on Festival leisure park and this was a lot better value for money but the Premier inn was closer to where I needed to be this weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Lovely room..Nice an cool for when we arrived which was a bonus as it was a really hot day !! Was near everywhere for us and excellent for eating as had THE BEEFEATER right next door serving TOP food ..BURGERS THERE OF COURSE WERE DELICIOUS ! And the staff could not do enough to make us feel welcome an help in any way they could : ))

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cheryl M
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Mum and I had a disabled room in this hotel. the staff at both reception and cleaning are excellent.
Sharon, Sara, Leanne all lovely helpful girls. Matt also helped me a great deal afterwards when it was discovered I had the key in my handbag (when I got home!) and when I questioned my bill. They made a difficult time as pleasurable as it could be.

Room Tip: If you are going to visit the hospital, there is a taxi company which both the hotel and hospital re...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CasHollandonsea
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I plus 2 grandchildren booked a family room. Found the hotel easily and check in went smoothly. The Lady on reception was very friendly and explained everything. Including the fact that the room did not have A/C. They had opened the window to Max opening and set a fan up in the room. She also said if we wanted to exchange the duvets for sheets to let her know.
The room was fine . Everything worked and the bathroom was clean. We then went for dinner in the adjoing Beefeater restruant. The meal was dissapointing. The childrens burgers were burnt slightly and they did not like them at all. My wifes smoothed chicken was also burnt and she did not like that either. My buffelo wings with a garlic dip was a let down because the garlic dip had the consistancy of milk - too runny.
In Contrast the following days we ate cooked breakfast and on both days it was excellant.
The Hotel room on the first night was very very warm and we all slept on top of the duvets. The room was not noisy and we slept ok.
Plenty of hot water and the tea and coffee making supplies were adequete. The choice of TV channels were good.
Outside the children had a small play area that was good to let them stretch their legs after a long car journey.
Car parking facilities were excellant.
Negative points : The room key fob had the number of the room on it. So if we lost it anyone could enter our room if they wanted to. The FREE WiFi was 30 minutes straight use. No separate sessions adding up to 30 mins. So once you logged on that was all you got. After that you had to pay. We think that in this day and age WI Fi should free.
We could not find any shops nearby that were within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ground floor far from reception. To reduce outside noise of people comming and going.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2014

First of all let me point out the reception staff were very polite, courteous and friendly.

I booked four evenings at the P.I. Basildon South. I arrived late and was greeted by a gentleman on reception. check-in was smooth and fast.

For a Sunday evening arriving at 22.35 hrs, I was informed that the attached Beefeater Pub was now closed for the evening, so I would be unable to get any food or drink which disappointed me, as I had been on the road for nearly five hours travelling without any refreshments.

My room was very big but the overall decor and styling of the premises felt old.

There was a present left for me in the toilet, in the way of faeces, which left an odour within the toilet and room.

I was unable to change the TV channels as the remote control batteries were dead.

I reported this to reception and they offered to clean the toilet and move me to an alternative room, but I declined the offer as I had unpacked. I was given a refund for that evenings stay. I was also given a remote control that worked.

The Inn is a two story building with bedrooms above and it was very noisy with the residents who occupied the rooms upstairs. Every footstep and heavy footed step was heard, along with the romantic lovemaking of this very active couple staying in the room above me.

I was very disappointed to discover that there were no AC Sockets by the bed side!!! Mobile phone/alarm had to be left on the other side of the room.

Bath, shower, hair dryer, tea/coffee available in your room and Wi-Fi at a cost of £3.00 per day or £10.00 per week. Sore subject, re Wi-Fi, should be free...

Note that during my stay, there is no 4G telephone signal/coverage.

The following day (Mon) I ate at the attached Beefeater restaurant to the Inn. I had not eaten for more than 24 hrs and was so famished.

I'm not saying I got poorly at the Beefeater Restaurant, but on the following day (Tuesday) I came down with food poisoning and was very poorly after having to seek medical advice.

I had severe V&D, temperature and was shaking uncontrollably. The staff knew I was not well, but no attempt to check on me was made and I was left to get on with it.

Bad noise was experienced during my stay. I had motorbike cyclists revving their engines in the evening outside my window in the on-sight car park. Other evenings I had motor cars with their radios and deep bass music playing, again booming in into my room... From observation, nothing appeared to be done by the staff to stop this from happening.

The Premier Inn, Basildon South certainly needs a lick of paint as it is looking worn and tired internally.

Would I go back and stay. My answer would be "maybe". Week 2 was spent at a different Premier Inn which I enjoyed immensely. A bad start to my stay and a bad experience during my stay at the a premier Inn - Basildon South, sadly could not increase my mark to make it higher.

You could stay and probably have a totally different experience. This review is from my four day experience.

Once again the reception staff are excellent, service not quite so...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Excellent hotel - Staff very friendly - extremely helpful and caring - nothing too much trouble. Hotel very clean and tidy. Excellent breakfast - again staff in restaurant very helping, everything very clean and tidy.
Did request a quiet room at back (as seen on Trip Advisor) and staff more than happy to accommodate this request.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basildon
Holiday Inn Basildon
#1 of 2 in Canvey Island
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Premier Inn Basildon South Hotel? Share your experiences!