“Good but not fast”

Pizza Express
Ranked #120 of 196 Restaurants in Banbury
Price range: US$1 - US$43
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Banbury offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed 2 February 2014

First visit, welcomed in and offered a couple of tables.
It was Sunday afternoon and we choose this restaurant as a quickish meal before the cinema. Having chosen our Pizza and drinks the drinks came quickly and we sat back and waited. Obviously I'm aware everything is cooked fresh and so 35 minutes later isn't too bad but I did feel that one chef on doing everything was a bit light. However the Pizza was excellent and we would have enjoyed the experience more if we were not under a time pressure.
Overall I would go again as the food was good but I'd leave sufficient time to enjoy it.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have not been to a Pizza Express before ( as far as I remember) but on 28th of this month our daughter insisted on making her contribution to the Christmas festivities, and this was our choice.
I assume the menu is similar to all other P.E's so it is obviously the ambience,and above all the staff that can make or mar such an experience,and this place does not fail to please,
Very personable young waiters do all they can to make you feel at home,and to explain anything unfamiliar;a boy of about 8 was also chatted to at the table next to ours (what did you get for Christmas,etc) and I was given an excellent impression that these folk were not just there to do a job.
Oh yes, the food! All good;my wife's lasagne looked rather plain but was pronounced very flavoursome;our daughter's calzone looked like a splendid Cornish pasty and apparently tasted great:my polpette Romana pizza was massive and delightful, though I shall be prepared for roquete peppers next time!!
Another splendid habit they have is to serve "dolcetti"-small desserts with a coffee on the side if you don't quite want the whole works- a great idea and another example of the thought that somebody has put into the operation.
Competition is stiff in Banbury-there are several other Italian places including at least 2 non chain family run eateries,but PE more than holds its own.
All in all a very pleasant experience-we shall return!!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

A repeat visit to Pizza Express in Banbury was better than usual, due to the service mainly.
Food is nearly always good, but on this occasion, despite being quite busy, the service was very efficient, friendly and fast. Lots of staff and chefs helped.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Party of 22 accommodated with excellent service on a busy Saturday evening this enabled us all to drink, order and eat in good time to get to the theatre for Calendar Girls. The staff looked after us so well, the pizzas all came at the same time and everyone was very pleased with the whole experience..............well done Pizza Express. The hotel where we were all staying would do well to aspire to your levels of efficiency and customer service..

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Post cinema pizza seemed a good idea. I have never been to a P EX before, but we have three other 'Italians' in Banbury (that we have been to) so have comparisons.
Mary had a flat pizza, the name escapes me, but it was overdone with almost roasted olives on top.
My Calzone was different to other experiences, sort of a semi crisp, biscuity type outer texture, and although the filling was reasonable, the passata base mixture was a little on the watery side, and a slightly over riding sharpness to the finish. A side salad came with my Calzone, but rendered inedible by the overly sharp dressing it was drenched in, so no choice there.
Mary had an apple juice, fine, but my 'fruity etc' Syrah was anything but. Not very good in truth.

Pound for pound, much better value is to be found in my other Italian Banbury review, as is food quality.