“Proper English style hotel”

Best Western Plus Banbury Wroxton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed 6 July 2013

BEST WESTERN PLUS Wroxton House Hotel is a proper English style hotel in beautiful countryside with very friendly staff. it is a bit far from the town but the outside is so nice to walk around. the design of the rooms are very nice and there is enough space to be conformable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Checked this out before booking and experience was as advertised. NIce hotel. Best 3 star I have ever stayed in. Immaculate hotel. Quirky layout but really nice attic room and also good breakfast the next day. All in all - very good indeed.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed in this hotel earlier this year and it was fabulous, so much so I scored it a 5.

This was our first return visit and it was lovely to find that, once again, we were absolutely delighted with our stay. We stayed in Room 16 again which is a room with lots of character but still has all modern amenities (such as plenty of plug points, lovely bathroom and plenty of storage) too.

Once again the food was excellent, the service was outstanding with a special mention to a young man by the name of Chris who was at the breakfast service on our second morning. He was so polite and helpful. Top marks to the Chef as well who, despite it not being on the menu, was happy to provide my husband with a cheese omlette both mornings. It is really nice to find a hotel with staff so accommodating. Marc, whom I remember from our previous visit was also excellent again.

Will definitely be visiting here again, sadly not for a couple of months but, when we do, I am sure I will be writing yet another positive review.

Room Tip: Room 16 is lovely but I suspect that due to the high standards of this hotel, you will not be disapp...
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed for 3 nights while on business. I ate in the lounge every night and the food was excellent. Staff very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I had an early breakfast on my last morning and the night staff made sure I had all I wanted.
The rooms were comfortable, well equipped and very clean.
If I am ever in the area again I will stay here.
Many Thanks.

1  Thank Yokel220
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This really does deserve its Tripadvisor award. The service is outstanding – nothing is too much trouble, and everyone without exception was helpful and friendly.
A great location for sightseeing – and much more peaceful than staying in Banbury. Attractive building with a lot of charm - inside and out. Nice food, and the most wonderfully comfortable bed!

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We have just returned from a three day break at the hotel.Included within the rate was complimentary glass of champagne each on the first night and a cream tea which we took on our second day.These were both appreciated.
On arrival we were shown Room 2.This has slightly sloping roof and low beams in one place.These features my wife does not like plus as it was a walk up a few stairs including some into the room and as I am recovering from a foot problem we requested another room.This was provided in the newer part of the hotel.Although the room was smaller it suited us better.The bed in our new room seemed bigger.
The room had a bath with a fixed shower over the bath( Room 2 Has a seperate shower cubicle).
The two minor problems with the room ,which we have encountered elsewhere and would not rate the hotel down for were:-
Firstly one is asked to reuse towels where possible but the Towel rail did not come on due to the warm weather.Consequently the towels were still wet from the night before.Either they need a towel rail which is on a separate circuit from the heating or an electric towel rail.
Secondly the fixed overhead shower.My wife finds this arrangement difficult to wash her hair.A flexible shower head where it can be attached to the wall or used as a hand shower would be preferable.
The food was excellent except for the Rosti on the first night which was burnt and inedible.We asked the waitress to let the chef know but we received no feedback.
The choice of food was very good with 6 choices for each course.The only slight disappointment was that during our three night stay a few dishes were repeated.We did though manage to find something different each night.
On another review the Malbec is praised and we agree with that opinion.An excellent wine to have by the glass.
The service was excellent.All the staff were friendly,attentive and seemed pleased to help.
The room was cleaned very well.
There is so much to see in the surrounding area we plan to return to the hotel in future.
Despite the little problems mentioned compared to other hotels we have stayed in it warrants an excellent rating

Room Tip: We had room 29 and it was quiet although backing onto the car park. Room 2 is on the corner of the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Gill S, Owner at Best Western Plus Banbury Wroxton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for the 5* review and for taking the time to write such an indepth and thorough report.
I am pleased that we were able to find you a room you liked which is the advantage of having lots of different types to choose from. Had you stayed in the original room the slipper bath did have a hand held shower attached to the bath. I do take on board your comment regarding the towels and we are more than happy to replace them on a daily basis if requested by the guest.
Look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

On the last night of our holiday Mark and I stopped off at the Wroxton House Hotel for dinner. We have been coming here for many years and as always the service and food were of the usual excellent high standard.

Mark, my husband had the poached pears in red wine and salad starter followed by loin of pork served with crackling, apple sauce, wonderful roast potatoes and a very fine selection of vegetables. I had the chicken liver pate for my starter followed by fillet of salmon with a lemon creme sauce, crushed new potatoes and vegetables.

Mark for his dessert had the bread and butter pudding with creme anglaise and I had the decadent dark chocolate tart with chantilly creame.

We had coffee and fudge in the lounge, until it was time for us to leave at 9.00pm

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

It was a pleasure to read your wonderful review and I will pass on your comments to both the kitchen brigade and restaurant team who will be thrilled. Thank you....it really does mean such a lot to us all.