“Enjoyable overnight stay”

Best Western Plus Banbury Wroxton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Banbury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here on business and was very pleasantly surprised by the standard. It appears to have been recently redecorated throughout but doesn't have the impersonal blandness of so many larger hotels.

The overall ambience is relaxed and welcoming. My room was small but had everything I needed, including biscuits and hot chocolate, which were replenished daily. There is a radiator thermostat and a window which means you can control the temperature to suit.

The bed was very comfortable and the room had one thing which you seem not to find much: a central light! So many times I've struggled seeing what I'm doing to pack, but not here.

The food in the restaurant was excellent. In the week the breakfast was cooked freshly to order, but at the weekend it was a buffet, which was slightly disappointing but I suppose they are busier then.

Everyone on the staff was very friendly and helpful.

It is rather out of the way: there is a pub across the road but no shops in the really lovely village, but £7 in a taxi takes you into Banbury where there are lots of nice places to eat.

The water pressure in the large, step free shower area was a little low but that's really the only niggle.

If you get the chance, take the short walk into the village proper and the grounds of Wroxton abbey, which is very picturesque indeed.

Room Tip: Room 17 is a little small but very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank L0V4DUCK
Gill S, Owner at Best Western Plus Banbury Wroxton House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your '5' star review, it is always useful to know what our guests actually think about us and the village. We feel very fortunate to live in such a stunning location but sometimes need a little nudge to remind us!
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business for a few days early December, very impressed, great rooms - nice and simple no frills and fancies, excellent food and the staff were top notch, if I'm ever in the area I'll stay here again for sure.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Delighted you enjoyed your stay and we exceeded your expectations. Happy guests - thats all we strive for!
Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and we were amazed by the quality of the Hotel.The rooms are super,we had room 19 for my wife and I and my mother in law had room 20.We have experienced some very poor 3 star establishments and wonder how they get their accreditation.There is no doubting Wroxton House 3 star plus rating,it really is a beautiful place to stay and the village is nice to boot.
We had an interesting food experience,we had the bar menu on the Friday night which was very good and the restaurant menu on Saturday night,which was a bit over priced in our opinion(£28 for 2 courses) but very nice service and restaurant area.
If I have one criticism,it's that there is not enough of a veggie options on the main menu,I suppose that's our fault for being veggies!There was one Risotto dish which we considered a bit lacking in invention.But credit due to the chef he turned out a lovely tasty alternative.
There are some lovely quiet areas to sit and relax in the hotel.
We had a very relaxing time at the hotel,all the staff were very,very good and were knowledgeable about the local area.
We will hopefully return to this hotel in the near future.
Thanks again for a great week-end.

Room Tip: Room 19 a very good standard room with bath and shower
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
What a lovely review, thank you. I'm delighted you enjoyed your recent stay and that the chef was able to offer you some alternative vegetarian dishes to those on the menu. Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Catterick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Room was fairly well equipped and the bed comfortable. However, the room was too hot and with no thermostat I had to sleep with the window open. Unfortunately the village Churck clock was 4 hours fast and I was woken by it chiming on the hour every hour... 5 chimes at 1am.. 6 chimes at 2am etc etc!! There was also a serious problem with the plumbing. I had to run the hot tap in the basin at the same time to get hot water in the shower!! The plumbing was also very noisy and it sounded as though the person in the room next to me was regularly flushing the toilet but it was possibly some header tank filling up because this would then be followed by the sound of water coming from an overflow pipe outside my window!! Overall a very poor nights sleep and I was exhausted the next day and had to travel to Manchester and then on to Brussels. I am only giving the hotel an average rating instead of poor because the food was excellent and the restaurant and communal areas very good. The staff were also very friendly and attentive

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank abbouk
First let me apologise, personally, for your disturbed nights sleep. It's always difficult sleeping in a strange bed so it's important that we try and make every effort to ensure a tranquil environment. If you could give me a call on 01295 730777 and let me know which room you stayed in I can look in depth at the comments you made and take any remedial action necessary.
You will also be pleased to know that I have spoken with the Vicar and the village clock is now striking correctly!
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed at Wroxton House Hotel for one night en route south to see family and couldn't have found anywhere better; everything about the place was first rate. On arrival there was a warm welcome from Emily on reception who remembered taking our booking, and who showed us through to the very comfortable bedroom. We had booked the package of bed , breakfast and evening meal and it was worth the extra cost. When we went into the bar in the evening there were appetizers with our aperitifs, then through to the restaurant where we enjoyed bread and oils, followed by an 'amuse bouche' , before starters of scallops or smoked salmon and crayfish tails ,each with their garnishes. They were as beautiful to eat as they were to look at - a delight! Our choice for main courses were pheasant breast wrapped in bacon, and slow roasted blade of beef, both with fresh vegetables. Amazingly we still had room for sweets- I can highly recommend the fresh fruit platter with panacotta. All evening we were waited on by courteous , helpful staff who could not have been bettered. We could have gone to a pub for a cheaper meal but we were so glad that we stayed to eat in the hotel; it really was a 5* experience.
The breakfast next morning had a super array of hot and cold choices ( if only we had had the room!) ,which we followed with a walk around the charming village with it's thatched cottages and the parkland of the Fairleigh Dickinson University.
We hope to return for a longer stay at the Wroxton House; it was superb.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple