“Closed down!!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Closed down!!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Heard lots about this pub but when we got there it was closed and had been for a while apparently! Lovely setting in a quaint village.

• Visited November 2013

Eastbourne
“Great food”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My wife and I ate here once whilst staying at the Wroxton House Hotel and both had very good food. The Camembert starter was absolutely delicious. The staff were friendly and the owner / chef was very welcoming.

Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will not eat there again”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Have been to this pub before with mixed feelings, sometimes it's great sometimes not. Went there with my family for lunch and was let down by poor food and very poor service

1 Thank Odyssey111
Warwickshire
“Beautiful Garden, Good Food, Great Country Pub”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I must say I was slightly put off when I read the reviews from recent visitors, but on recommendations from friends we were visiting in the area, we visited on a Sunday and I was pleasantly impressed.
After taking a walk around the beautiful grounds of the American College across the road from this pub we arrived in the busy garden and were able to select one of the last tables available to enjoy the sunshine. The staff were obviously working very hard, I think there was only 2 or 3, one of which was also being trained on the till at the time. There was, admittedly, a little bit of a wait for food, but we were told this when we ordered our drinks at the bar, and it was understandable bearing in mind how many other people they were in the middle of serving!
We were able to have a go at the aunt sally game in the garden while we were waiting for our food and when it arrived, it was definitely worth the wait! My husband and I ordered Sunday Roasts, my lamb was absolutely delicious, and his chicken was lovely and moist with the most beautiful gravy. Our friends ordered the poached salmon from the board and a House Burger which they said were also lovely. We ordered a (few) bottles of wine between us and were persuaded to have some of the chefs homemade cheesecake which I must say I wish we had ordered one each instead of sharing!
We ended up spending most of the afternoon in the garden, chatting with some of the locals from the village who obviously frequent the pub with their children and had an absolutely lovely time. The only disappointment our husbands had were when the bar ran out of the ale they were drinking, and the only other slight gripe was that they had also run out of paper towels in the ladies.
Overall, There are very few places that still offer this type of atmosphere and warmth, and I cannot wait to return throughout the summer with a selection of our own friends. Very well worth a visit.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank 60sSista
Banbury
“Terrible service, average overpriced food!”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just came back from a Sunday roast at the north arms.had to wait an eternity just to get a menu! When food eventually turned up it was ok, but nothing special. We ordered desserts and waited and waited until in the end we canceled them! Totally rubbish. Also the pub was grubby and unclean and still had some Christmas decorations on the shelf next to us - in July!!! I certainly wouldn't recommend.

1 Thank Darren7Banbury