The Lismore Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Red Lion Hotel(Adderbury)
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat selection of drinksironing boardpowerful showercooked to perfectionquiet roomtea coffeebooked this hoteljamiecharacter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Shower broke and came away from the wall. Impossible to balance hot & cold water. Only 2 milk sachets but a million coffee, tea, hot chocolate sachets. Television not working or just an extremely bad signal that needs looking into. Those utterly annoying disposable bath mats that stick to your feet and end up thrown in the corner instantly!!

• Stayed: March 2014
10  Thank MartinMillgf
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We booked over the phone and arrived late afternoon to be shown the "chalet" lol....a converted shed ! Car park was hard to find as was reception .
We could not not stay in the chalet .....double bed shoved against radiator and hardly any room the other side ...just enough for the door to open.
We asked for another room which Paul agreed to do. WELL the so called four poster was mmmmmm what can I say , words cant describe the awful , dirty bed ,linen , towels....frayed carpets ,cobwebs ,filthy dirty light switches and cold radiators.
We decided we could not stay and Paul said he would not charge us.....but he did that very night.
WHY....because I told him his room was dirty. He thought that was rude .
He took our money as punishment for the TRUTH.
The hotel which apparently dates back to whenever ! Would probably have been really.
Not now though, greasy smelly and a very rude unpleasant proprietor.
READ THE REVIEWS ....DONT STAY HERE

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here !!
13  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My Husband and two friends stayed at The Lismore from Dec 30th to Jan 2nd. When we arrived we had difficulty finding the car park at the back (no signs) we rang Paul who gave us directions how to get there (easy when you know how) On check in I stood in what I thought was reception, Paul was sat at his computer and didn't look up, after about a minute I realised you had to go through a door to get the the desk, he carried on looking at his computer screen for a while before looking up and saying 'sorry about that' I feel he should have instantly stopped what he was doing and acknowledged me. Anyway he gave us the key to our room which was number 34, this looked onto the car park and so was very quiet. The room was large with a four poster bed and lovely original fire place but struck cold as we entered.This I think was due to the fact that the room was to large for the radiator on the wall. The bathroom was basic with full size bath, on the wall was a dispenser with shampoo shower gel and conditioner. After going out for the evening we came back to our room, I have to say that the matress was possibly one of the most uncomfortable I have ever sleapt on, it was completely flat and offered no support what so ever, hence I suffered with a bad back for the 3 nights we were there. Breakfast was fine but at £6.95 I thought was a bit steep although the fruit juice was very nice and you could have as many cereals, yogurts and fresh fruit you could east along with the cooked breakfast. The lady who served it was very nice, we thought we were to late on the first morning arriving at 10.10 when breakfast stopped at 10, I asked if we were to late and she said no that wasn't a problem. We didn't have breakfast on New Years day as when I booked direct with the hotel Paul told me they were not doing breakfasts that day. So went to The Exchange a Wetherspoon pub which was good.
We decided to go into Oxford on New Years Day on the bus, Paul suggested that we use the train as it was much quicker and trains more frequent, this was a good tip.
The lounge and bar was very nice with a big open fire and there seemed to be a good selection of beers, however no one ever used it so apart from having one drink on our way out we never used it.
On checking out we had been charged for 2 breakfasts when we only had 1, this was put right by the lady on reception, when I told her that we had been told no breakfast was available on the 1st Jan she rolled her eyes and said there was as she was cooking it!
All in all we had a nice time and on the whole Paul was polite enough, although he was a typical Yorkshire man, blunt and to the point and so I can see why some people thought him rude, we did not find this. The worst thing about the hotel was the bed and for this reason we would not stay there again.
Banbury itself is a lovely place to stay and the first pub on the way into town The Swan was very welcoming although didn't serve food. The Lismore itself is a lovely house and could be magnificent if it was renovated, it had a beautiful staircase and stain glass windows. Some people have said it was filthy, the only thing I would say on leaving the room to go home I spotted a very large cobweb hanging from the window!
Don't dread it if you have booked a stay here it's not that bad!

Room Tip: Ask for a room which overlooks the car park as the rooms at the front look onto the main road and I would imagine they could be noisy from traffic.
3  Thank pattishebamarley
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My heart sank as soon as I got to the entrance, this was meant to be a special night for my partner and I, but the hotel was drab and dreary and the owner seemed to have no customer service skills at all. When we asked to see the room first he was not very accommodating and had a look of surprise on his face, and I now understand why!
We went into the room, we booked the Four Poster, but there were two other beds in the room as well, making it very cramped. There were wires everywhere, the bath had a load of orange shampoo/shower gel all over it, and the furniture was depressing. The room was freezing cold and we had to go down to the bar area to get warm in front of the fire until the room had warmed up (which it never did due to the radiators not being on for long). We had to leave an oil filled radiator on to keep the chill off!
The bed was terrible, the mattress was so uncomfortable, every spring stuck into you, I would have had a better nights sleep on a bed of nails. I thought having a four poster would be romantic, but how wrong can one be!
If I had read the reviews on here first we would not have stayed in this place.
Woke up in the morning to have a shower and guess what, the radiators were not on, so the bathroom was freezing!
On our departure a young lady took the payment, and I mentioned the mattress and the cold etc, but she was not even interested and said that they had not had any complaints before, which I assume is a pack of lies judging from the other reviews on this website!
All in all, it sort of ruined the lovely night we had at a local country pub, and we wished we had not had to go back there that night! I will be surprised if this hotel stays in business if they carry on like this. If you like pain, and want to know how an Eskimo feels then stay here, otherwise avoid it like the plague. My apologies to my girlfriend!

6  Thank Rob B
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Booked into the hotel without having read the reviews, as it looked interest on Booking.com website. Wondered why there was a 48 hours notice for cancellation & you had to give your credit card number!-found out why when we stayed & didn't stay there!

Booked for a Friday & Saturday night. Arrived about 21:15 and got the key to the room from grumpy man behind the counter, Opened the door to a vestibule - dumped the bags & went out for a meal - got back about 23:30 and went to the room.

What a shock - the bed appeared to have already been slept in by someone else - complete with stain, The furniture was from the finest jumble sale - circa 1958, ( I've compared it with the pictures on booking. com - and they must have been taken a long time ago! as different now) There was an extra bed in the room - great for putting luggage - but took up most of spare space in what was meant to be a double room.
The mattress was all of 3 inches thick & what there was of it was totaly knackered & very twangy.

The bathroom floor was inground with dirt & the paper bath mats (we know that's what they were because it was printed on them - checked on internet & they cost 7.5p a go- shear luxury) stuck to your feet. The bathroom was grubby & very unpleasant & the towels were very small & thin.

However, it was late & we were tired - but I was even more tired in the morning as the bed was so uncomfertable and the room so grubby - all I could think was, I wouldn't stay in a room like this if you paid me.

The next morning my wife & went to the reception with our bags to complain (as I packed I noticed on the floor next to the bed a basket ball boot that wasn't ours - a well cleaned room indeed!!)

The girl behind the counter said the owner/manager (the grumpy old man from the previous night) was not around, but showed us to another room, up the thread bare stairs, passed a load of new mattresses (reading the reviews - these could be a permanent feature & never actualy put in the rooms) to a 4 poster bed room - well a Woolworths idea of a 4 poster. A lighter & possibly cleaner room - still not a great matress on the bed, possibly 4 inches thick, and the same well appointed - not - bathroom.

We declined this room and was advised the manager wouldn't be in till later, so we checked out & went to the Best Western down the road - what bliss, (clean, friendly & the same price for the night once breakfast was taken into account) .

Because we had to be somewhere during the day we couldn't go back to the Lismore and spoke to the owner on the phone. He just basically lied to us and denied everything and said we weren't getting our money back for the night we stayed there (we hadn't asked for that) and that as we had booked through Booking.com there was nothing he could do about the 2nd night, which was not true & he took that off my credit card too. He went on about the matresses being a an orthopedic mattress & even made out to Booking.com that the 2nd room had a £4000 matress !!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my wife tried to talk to him, he was so rude, her comment was "what a vile person."

The good reviews on here and elsewhere I can only assume he has bought & paid for, or he keeps booking rooms in assumed names and giving himself good reviews.
(Where he has responded to bad reviews he gives the excuse its an old building, but it's Victorian - the Best Western is Georgian - so shows what rubish that is.) The fact is as someone else has said he just wants the money without having to provide the service.

The scam he runs is to take bookings for two days, shove them in the worst room in the place knowing that they will leave the next day, and because he has the credit card number & a 48 hour cancellation policy he gets to keep the money. A total crook!

Dreadfull. £135 with no breakfast. A lot of money to be made to feel grubby .

Room Tip: A room in a different hotel is the best option.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple