“Last minute help”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Last minute help”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had a disaster on the first day of our holiday as the canal cottage in Lower Heyford we had booked for one night smelt of sewage or gas anyway bad enough to leave. We got a last minute deal with the Mercure Banbury and although we booked a twin room when we turned up they did not have any!!! Going from bad to worse? No fortunately the lady on reception was very helpful and we paid an extra £20 for an upgrade which turned out to be a very comfortable suite. Being in the Centre of Banbury was very useful as there is a good choice of restaurants. The holiday went on to be a great success. Short time in the hotel but we were well looked after.

Room Tip: Ignore the swimming pool rating there wasn't one I fat fingered it by mistake but could not dele...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your lovely review following your recent stay here with us at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I am sorry to read about the mistake with the twin room but very happy to read that the situation was quickly rectified and that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the terrible start to your break.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you again to the hotel in the future.

Michael Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is an old coaching inn. It's packed with beautiful features but equally it's a bit of a rabbit warren. The rooms are spacious and the decor is great. It's a bit close to the road though so if you are in the front of the hotel you will get some noise, especially on a weekend. There was no ac in our room so we had to have the window open, so the noise was annoying. One of my friends was in an executive room overlooking the garden at the back - he only paid an extra £15 per night and that was worth it. The bar was average, but the late service was greatly appreciated! The carpark was good but don't forget to collect a pass from reception before you try to leave. The staff were really brilliant, very good indeed

• Stayed August 2013
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Guest

I am really pleased to read that you found your stay here excellent and enjoyed the traditional coaching inn feel of the hotel. I will certainly pass on your kind words to the team. I am sorry for any noise you encountered from the outside it is true it can get rather busy in town of an evening, should you choose to stay with again please do hestiate to ask for a room at the rear of the hotel we have different room types overlooking the gardens so it does not necessitate an upgrade.

Once again thank you for you comments and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Kadoma, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Friendly and professional staff at reception. The rooms were average but clean and well maintained. I was offered the breakfast but declined as i felt it was absurdly overpriced. The beds were comfortable and the showers were in good condition. Although i didn't spend much time at the hotel, it seemed to have a friendly but professional atmosphere, except around the haunted room of-course.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your commets following your recent stay here with us, I am very pleased to read your kidn words about our team and the professional atmosphere, and that you found your room comfortable and clean, naturally I am sorry you felt breakfast was overpriced but is does offer a large varie ty of food on an all you can eat basis.

I do hope this would not deter you from staying with us again and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

uk
Reviewed 3 September 2013

we had a baby push chair and luggages, the hotel did not have ramp for entering the building, nor lift for going upstairs. We had to carry our baby, push chair plus the luggages up and down the building.

they were not able to change us to an easier access room, and the condition of the room is very poor. there were no air con, we had to sleep with our window open. our room was by the main road, we could not sleep at all!

plus the entrance to car park is very very narrow, if you have big car, be careful!

it is the worst hotel i have ever stayed! and for a brand like Mercure, it is very very poor

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay with us and I am, of course, very sorry read of your disappointment. Unfortunatly due to the age of the building there are quite a number of steps and stairs in the hotel, although we do have a lift it does still involve the use of steps if you are staying in the origonal part of the hotel. I am sure if we had another suitable room on a lower florr then of course we would have offered it to you, again I am sorry this was not possible due to very high occupancy. As you say we do not have air conditioning and I understand your comments about the noise from having to have the bedroom windows open. It is true the car park entrance is narrow but we haven't had a car yet that can't get through so long as it is taken slowely.

Once again my apologies for any inconvienience caused and should you choose to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact myself or Front Office Manager and we will do our best to allocate you a room which does not overlook the front of the hotel.

Michael Williams

Travellers are raving about these Banbury hotels

holmfirth
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stopped one night for the MotoGP and it was a great destination as we could go out for a choice of restaurants & bars but be within 30 minutes of the track. The hotel has loads of character but it's a bit tatty & rooms could do with a revamp (shower was rubbish)
Our main issue was the noise, there was a wedding on and we had been given a room right above the disco. We arrive about 7pm and by this time all the other rooms were occupied and so they could not move us, when we complained they said it was our fault for only booking a week before but this was a poor excuse. The guest would have arrived on the Saturday and so rooms should have been allocated to the wedding guests close to the function room and other guests should have been given rooms as far away as possible. Needless to say we got very little sleep.

The breakfast was good and the bed was comfortable and we would not have had an issue if we had been further from the wedding party.

Room Tip: Check if there is a wedding and make sure you are in a room away from the function rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for posting your thoughts after staying with us last weekend, I would like to sincerely apologise for the disturbance caused by the wedding noise and the for Receptionists response which is totally unacceptable and will take this up with who was on shift when you checked in. I am however pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and found you bed comfortable.

Should you choose to stay with again please do not hesitate to contact myself or Front Office Manager and we will do our best to offer you a room away from any events taking place.

Once gain many thanks and I am sorry for any inconvienience.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel for my partners birthday. Paid extra for a deluxe room. The room was nice and well equipped and had lots of character. Also had a separate mini living room which was unnecessary but a nice addition.

I also paid an extra £40 or so online for a "VIP arrival with champagne" to surprise my partner. They completely forgot. In fact I suspect they didn't even know. When I complained someone arrived with a bottle of prosecco. I complained a 2nd time that I had paid for champagne not prosecco. We waited perhaps 30-40 minutes but then someone arrived with champagne, wine, grapes, strawberries and we also got to keep the Prosecco. They clearly made a strong effort to fix their mistake and this made up for it. Hotels which try hard to fix their mistakes are few and far between. Well done Mercure Banbury.

• Stayed July 2013
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on a stay you had here. Naturally I am very dissapointed to read about the issue that you had with the Champagne and apologise for any inconvinience caused. I am however pleased to read that you enjoyed your accommodation and that the team did their best to rectify the Champagne situation.

I do hope this would not deter you from staying with us again and I hope that we will be able to welcome you again to Mercure Whately Hotel.