“Excellent Office Christmas Party - Youssef was Top Class”

Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Being responsible for the office Christmas bash for 55 staff was a bit of a task but from the start of the organising right up until the end Youssef was available for any questions I had and was on hand during our event to ensure that everything went without a hitch. The tables were decorated beatifically and the food was hot and lots of it. The service we received was excellent. Below are comments from some of the bosses received afterwards -

"Other than one member of staff, who was off hand and did not bring any more drinks when asked, I thought all the other staff were very efficient and polite – especially those in the food serving area.

The food was of a good quality and the portions were generous.

I’m not usually the biggest fan of “The Whately” but this was (surprisingly) good. 9/10!

Another one "The Christmas Party was very good and the food and service at Whately was equally good. I did not hear any complaints on my table"

And finally "I also thought that the venue, service and food was very good on Friday. I think the venue worked well in that we were all in one room and on circular tables. I would say repeat it for next year."

Looks like we will be booking for 2014 - thank you Youssef and his staff, keep up the good work.

Sally Williams

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Sally,

Let me take the opportunity to wish you a Happy and Prosperous New Year on behalf of our hotel. Thank you ever so much for your honest and detailed review. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am really pleased to read that you were satisfied with service provided by Youssef and his team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you for perfect overall scores and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We selected this hotel for its location and based on having had very good stays in Mercure hotels in France. This hotel is nowhere near the standard of its French cousins.

We booked an executive room which was an OK three star room in the new (1960s) wing of the hotel. The room was adequate and the bed was comfortable. Being at the back of the hotel, it was very quiet so we got a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was a very tired buffet with the basics but it was mostly all crisp and dry. The coffee was dire.

Overall it was not great value and will be off our list for the future,

Room Tip: Ask for the New Wing for a quiet night

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here with us, also thank you for pointing out our good location. It is good to read that you liked our quite rooms in the new wing of our hotel. I am sorry that your breakfast was not so enjoyable. The necessary actions are already in place to avoid similar complaints.
I hope you will give us another chance at your next visit to Banbury.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Reviewed 17 December 2013

First impressions are good, as the building looks beauiful from the outside. The reception is also full of character and oozes charm.

I'm a platinum Accor member but when I was checking in, I was told that because I booked through a 3rd party, I would not get my points. Even though I argued that other Mercure properties honour the loyalty points, the reception staff wouldn't listen..."company policy". I find this pathetic - because of their unwillingness to move on this point, I will never use this hotel again.

Although the main building was nice, my room was in an 'extension' at the back. A horrible 1970's style building. My room was in desperate need of renovation... so much so that I couldn't relax.

I popped down to the reception area and started to browse the food menu. 10 minutes went by....20 minutes went by.... several staff members walked past, yet none asked if I wanted any food or a drink. Pathetic service. I therefore walked outside and went to a local Thai restaurant.

The third and final episode of amateurish customer service came at check out. The female receptionist was too busy chatting to another (off duty) member of staff (who was not in uniform but had been working the night before). Not once did she ask if I had a good stay....

The only bright spot was breakfast. The Eggs Benedict was beautiful and my breakfast waiter was very pleasant - just a pity that none of his colleagues are up to the same standard.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback after your stay at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury. I appreciate your compliments on our nice and characteristic hotel building and breakfast, although even the extension part you found horrible.
Please accept my apologies for the way of communication by one our receptionist however following Terms and Conditions is also top priority aspect. Should you give us the chance to serving you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us directly in order grant you with points accordingly. Also apologise for not taking your order at the reception area. The necessary actions are already in place to avoid similar complaints. You may rest assured that we have taken a good note of your comments as they offer us a valuable opportunity to monitor and continually improve our facilities and services.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel to spend some time in Banbury Christmas shopping.
We found the rooms a little dissapointing but overall the hotel had many redeeming featrures and a lot of charatcter.
Regretfully all the restaurant facilities were unavailable due to Christmas parties but the receptionist was very helpfull and booked us for dinner in a local Italian Reastaurant 3 minutes walk away.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you did not have the chance use our Food and Beverage services nevertheless I am happy that overall you liked the hotel and look forward to serving you or you friends at your next visit in Banbury.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We ended up in Banbury after trying to find accommodation unsuccessfully in Oxford, as we were unaware of the half term school holidays. We were really pleased to find the Mercure Whately Hall and were greeted warmly by Liam in reception. He really went out of his way to make us welcome and couldn't do enough for us. The hotel is in a great location, very close to shopping, pubs and restaurant. However I feel the hotel has let itself down in several areas. We had to drag our suitcases up 2 very steep staircases and the along a maze of rooms only to find another couple of stairs before we got to our room. Why no lift? The floor boards in the hallways creaked badly and loudly. The carpets were very old and need replacing the rooms need a good coat of paint. We had a really good hot shower and the bathroom was nice and big, especially by English standards, but again in need of a good refurbishment. The hotel does have a lovely charm about it and if it was renovated could really be a great hotel. Breakfast was nice, there was a good selection of food and it was well cooked. The parking was also good, right out the front and that is a definite bonus. Definitely ok for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice words about the location and the professional and helpful staff. I am happy to read that you were satisfied about the breakfast and free parking facilities. In regards the hotel layout the lift is at the far end of hotel and whilst it is possible to access the older part of the hotel without going outside it does involve a number of steps and stairs in the original 17th Century part of the hotel. Should have the need to stay in the area again please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to offer the most convenient room according to your preferences. I apologise for creakiness however it is part of an old characterful building although we do try to minimise the creakiness where possible.
Once again many thanks for your detailed and comments and look forward to welcoming you again at Mercure Whately Hall in Banbury.