“Old world charm but close to everything” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel

Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Old world charm but close to everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This is a great base for exploring England's countryside. Within forty-five minutes you can drive to the Cadbury factory in Birmingham, to Oxford or to the Cotswolds. The hotel has an old wing that is a rambling stone inn, with everything you would expect from a 16th century house -- creaking floorboards and all. There's a modern wing in the back that has the biggest hotel bathrooms I've seen in England and all the modern conveniences. The hotel has a beautiful croquet lawn that's perfect for a quiet afternoon reading or just looking at the tulips and the ancient yew trees. The staff is helpful and gave excellent dining advice. If you don't like this place, what are you coming to England for?

Stayed April 2014
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review following you stay here with us at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed not only your accommodation but also our beautiful grounds and that the staff were so helpful.

Once again many thanks and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again to our hotel in the future.

Michael Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Hotel is easy to find right next to Banbury Cross. The car park entrance is through a very narrow archway so watch your wing mirrors!. The Hotel is a C17th Coaching Inn but has a 1970s bolt on box at the back. If you like wobbly floors, stone window mullions and an old English feel, stay in the main building. Our room was large and had all the usual amenities, with the added bonus of a separate lounge! Apparently it is the only one! It was clean and the bed soft and comfortable.
We had a 3 course meal in the restaurant as part of our package which was well cooked and beautifully presented given the price (£20.00). Our waitress (Sara) was attentive, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was typical Mercure with everything you would expect, well laid out and presented. Again the staff were polite, cheerful and very helpful.
On check out, the receptionist discovered I love history and old buildings and launched into an interesting, descriptive and informative narrative about the Inn and its colourful history! A very enthusiastic presentation and far more than I would have expected a receptionist to know!! She even gave us a written version for us to take away. I wont spoil it, but this is a fabulous place to stay if you like your history and the odd ghostly tale!!!

We would have no hesitation in staying here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5/5 rating following your recent stay here at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the charachter of the hotel and your bedroom was comfortable.

Thank you for your comments regarding Sara I will make sure she gets to see them. I will also pas son your comments to the reception team for giving you an enthusiastic history of the hotel, it is someting we are very proud of and I am very proud of the team that I have working here.

Once again many thanks for your lovely review and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed just one night and really enjoyed it. The Hotel is 400 years old and has all the wonderful old creaking floorboards and beamed ceilings that you expect in these fabulous old historic buildings. We could have stayed in the newer part but chose an older room (59) which was really nice and cosy, and right opposite the haunted room 52. The bed was lovely clean and really comfortable and the bathroom was perfectly adequate. Our room faced onto the road but obviously this hotel was built before cars, so who cares about traffic noise with all that history! the church bells ringing in the morning completed the whole experience. We had no time for breakfast and ate out in Banbury the night before, but heard other guests saying how good the food was, so next time we will definitely eat there. Hopefully any refurbishment wont change the hotel too much as it is a gem. God forbid they ever put a lift in.The reception staff are really friendly and showed us around and knew a lot about the hotel and showed us the priest holes and secret doorways. Brilliant!! Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you ever so much for your glowing review following your recent stay here with us at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall. I am pleased to read that you found your accommodation so nice. I am also very happy to read how helpful the team were and you saw some of the history of our hotel. We do actually have a lift which services mainly the newer part of the hotel, although the older side can be reached via it through the corridors.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We used our avios vouchers for a two night stay here We were given a telephone number in case the receptionist did not know about avios so we were a bit worried in case they did not have our reservation no problem the receptionist was friendly and efficient and the booking in was painless
when we saw our room we was very pleasantly surprised to find we had a suite with lounge area it was spacious and clean and looked over the beautiful garden
Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice and very well cooked hot food staff was pleasant and helpful
The bar staff was quirky in a pleasant way and just made us smile so eager to please us the right people in the right job
Would have liked to have an evening meal but could not get booked in but again staff was very good over the phone
This hotel is in a great position with bars and restaurants in walking distance a great little market town and a short drive to other attractions
Will defiantly stay here again and recommend to others

Room Tip: pay and upgrade to a suite well worth it
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for your very kind review followoing your stay with us here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite and the breakfast taken the following morning. I will be certain to pass on your compliments to the team. I am very sorry we were uanle to accommodate you for dinner in the evening, but pleased to read that despite this you will still choose to stay with us again in the future and also recommend us.

Once again many thanks for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Hessle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

This was really a chance encounter. I rarely need to be in Banbury and found this on our approved corporate hotel list - being an Accor Platinum it's ideal for points etc.
Check in was really quick and the receptionist was efficient.
My room was large and the wifi worked flawlessly with some excellent speeds being presented.
The hotel is a mix of old and new and to be fair to the hotel chap when I checked in he gave me the choice of either type of room - I went for the new but may try old next time.
The following morning I ate in the restaurant for breakfast and the choice was very good - as was the standard of food.
The only minor point was that I had to stand around for a while until a receptionist return to the desk to check out.
So, very good, and a place I will definitely return to if I am ever in Banbury again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive review following your visit to Banbury. It is always great to receive such positive comments, I will be sure to share them with the team. I would like to apologise for any inconvience caused due to the delay in checking out.

Once again, many thanks and I look foward to welcoming you back should you have the need to stay in Banbury in the future.

Hinckley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

All round, not a bad experience had at this hotel. Check in was very efficient and we were pleased with the size, facilities and cleanliness of the room. However, we soon realised that the boiler was playing up when we tried to use the bathroom. So had to contact hotel staff who quickly rectified the problem. Hotel has a lot of character, and location was great for a quick walk round Banbury, but car parking not great. Feel sorry for those with large vehicles!! Food for both evening and breakfast meals was lovely. Agree that a lick of paint in some places would not hurt, but I liked the character of this hotel and love the old feel to the place. Be a shame if Mercure were to think of updating it - would ruin it I think!! Still perhaps a new boiler system that can cope with the size and occupation of the property would be a good idea. Would certainly return.

Room Tip: No fitness facilities here. However, not sure it needed them with the location. Plenty to see and do...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting your thoughts folowoing your stay here with us at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel, I am very pleased to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry about any problems with the boile,r we are due to have these replaced this year and I apologise for any inconvienience caused, but happy that the team were able to rectify this. It is good to read that you enjoyed your meals with us and will choose to return in the future, when as we have an onhoing refurbishment plan you would be able to see an improvement in the decoration of the hotel, but as you say this would be inkeeping with the charahcter of the building.

Once again many thanks for your review and I look forward to welcoming you again to Mercure Whately Hall