1,019 results
All reviews narrow entrance murder mystery newer part old building reception staff creaky floorboards central location executive room hotel is lovely eggs benedict an upgrade wedding reception lots of character pubs and restaurants large room enjoyable stay one night stay
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great place to stay, although could improve with the food. Another that that i was not happy about was the fact we had a dirty towel. I didn't realise until i finished drying my hair with it. i put the towel down it i saw it was very dirty. I believe it was folded in such a way that i would not have seen the dirt until after i finished with it. I usually have trust with cleaners and hope that all towels are clean and that i never usually have to check. Now i will check every towel. Just that incident on our last morning there made me feel very dirty, i had no time to wash my hair again. so had to wait till i got home :-$

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've not stayed or eaten at the Whately Hall for many years but attended a course there recently. The sign in the reception pointed me to the Graden Suite and when I couldn't find it I realised that what they meant was the Garden Suite. After pointing it out the sign was still there 4 hours later. To me this shows that a) the Manager doesn't keep his eyes open for the small details and b) no-one else cares.

This might seem trivial but it means that it will be many years before I consider staying or eating there.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that felt unable to give me your feedback in person. I am also sorry that you felt a spelling error on a sign provided by a 3rd party warranted such a negative anonymous review of an establishment that you didn't eat in, sleep in or engage with any of the staff.

We were on the day in question also catering for a celebration of a local society in our Restaurant and for a wake in another function room. I am pleased to say that both events went very well and we have received positive feedback from the organisers of both.

To say that the staff at this hotel do not care is, I feel, an unfair comment and does not reflect the hardwork that goes into ensuring our guests leave happy.

If you want to discuss the spelling error on the sign further you are more than welcome to contact me on ben.sanders@accor.com.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Sanders

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed just the night when visiting Banbury, my wife and I. Nice brief stay, very clean, nice room and some rooms dog friendly. The car park entrance is a bit tight. We went in ok but would not like to take a large car through. Saying that there were some large cars and a couple of vans in the car probably just a matter of confidence. Will stay there again

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2018

We stayed here on a travelzoo deal which was great value for money. The hotel has lots of character and great history. We were in a room in the original building which although quite dated with old wardrobes, very creaky floorboards, draughty crittel windows and only a couple of cobwebs, was spacious and nice. Bed was comfortable with tea and coffee making facilties and television. The location was good, right in the centre of Banbury, with a nice shopping area. The food was only okay and waiting staff seemed nervous and unaware of what cutlery to be supplied. At breakfast I had eggs benedict but left most of it as the poached eggs were near enough raw. Overall though a good time was had. We visited Bicester Shopping Outlet prior to booking in which was half an hour away.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2018 via mobile

Our opinion is that the Customer Service award for the most unhelpful and disinterested bookings staff must go to Whately Hall at Banbury. Congratulations to you all! Sorry for troubling you with a large room bookings request for next year. Well done.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Dear Mark,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the response to your recent telephone enquiry. As explained politely by our Reservations Manager, we are hosting weddings at the hotel itself on the weekend in question and we wish to ensure that we have enough rooms to meet the needs of our Brides and Grooms.

I understand that this may not have been the answer you were looking for and I can only reiterate my apologies that we are unable to accommodate your request.

If you would like to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact me via email - ben.sanders@accor.com .

Ben Sanders