“Smart pub, very cost effective and fabulous staff”
Review of The Barley Mow

The Barley Mow
Ranked #145 of 209 Restaurants in Banbury
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Although I tend to frequent more country style pubs this is, nevertheless a lovely pub especially with the new refurb! I tend to pop in occasionally for brunch and the food is always good and very well priced. The staff are lovely (especially Sue!!). I am always made to feel welcome and to be honest I wouldn't change a thing about this pub!

1  Thank lana_holman
General Manager A, Manager at The Barley Mow, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the feedback Iana we look forward to seeing you again soon

Stefan and team Barley Mow

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Myself and my partner had the pleasure today of visiting the newly refurbished Barley Mow at 12 today. My first impression was of the new decor, was how bright and airy it was. We were shown to our table by a very pleasant young man and were offered a choice of seating and chose to sit beside the window. We looked at the extensive menu and made our choices, we had no idea if it was waiter service or you made your order at the bar, just a point it could of been mentioned, it’s an observation only. Having placed by order, we upgraded, no issues at all and we were told to settle up for the upgrade at the end of the meal. The food was excellent, good quality, chips and onion rings a little dry, saying that it was an enjoyable meal and I would be happy to take people with us for a meal. I was aware that after we arrived the restaurant was filling up and I overheard people being told there was a 50 minute wait. As we were one of the first for lunch, we waited about 20 minutes which was fine. At the end of the meal the extra charge was wavered, which was a lovely gesture, thank you. Would I go back, of course I would for quality of food, value for money and the gesture of wavering the additional charge, what I like to see improving, an explanation of how the ordering system worked and more staff to reduce waiting times as the old Barley Mow was renowned for slow service and the new Barley Mow needs to break free of the shackles of the past, you are nearly there, well done, we will be back and that’s more than can be said about the old Barley Mow.

1  Thank Eddie S

Thanks Eddie, the wait time after your visit was due to a fryer malfunction that is being looked at by our contractors, i have spoken to the team and relayed your feedback on our service cycle making sure we let all guests know how to order n the future, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Their are also signs around the pub letting guests know the order process too.

Thanks for the lovely feedback on how much better we are doing and I hope now we have ironed out these couple of small issues you can come back and give us 5*s next time :)

Stefan and Team Barley Mow

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We went to the “new look” Barley Mow for lunch today and booked a table for an early sitting at 12.00 noon.
The reason for the early booking was we were concerned that as the venue had only just reopened they would maybe not be entirely on top of their game.
We arrived 5 mins before the booked time and was shown to the table by a smartly dressed young man. Unfortunately we were not told that we needed to order our meals or drinks at the bar. So after sitting at the table for 10 mins, we went and asked what we needed to do.

We ordered our meals and sat at our table. After a short time we realised we had ordered the wrong meals. My partner went to the bar and explained that we needed to change our order and pay the difference.
The gentleman behind the bar told us he would change the order and we could settle up later. After approx 20 mins wait our food arrived. Two very large mixed grills. The food provided was of good value and all well cooked. However the chips and onion rings were rather soggy and not crisp at all.

The restaurant had started to fill up by this point and we over heard a table next to ours being told it would be 45-60 mins wait for their food order.! This proved to be a good decision on our part to arrive early, as that sort of waiting time is not acceptable nor expected in any restaurant.
We finished our meals and went to pay the difference in price with the bar man. We were pleasantly surprised to hear that there was to be no further charge as they had wavered this on our bill.
This was a nice touch and was greatly received.

The Barley Mows new look , is clean and tidy. The food , good. I would say give it a try but book an early table and expect to wait for your food.

1  Thank David S

Sorry to hear our service wasnt up to standard today I have relayed your feedback to the team who have taken what you have said on board, thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can put it right asap

Look forward to seeing you again soon

Stefan and the team!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited on Saturday after the refurbishment and wow what a transformation, its bright airy and CLEAN no sticky tables and the staff were polite and friendly. The food was great too. Only living a few minutes walk away we have avoided this place for a few years now as it had been so neglected, so happy to have our local back.

1  Thank Saswa
General Manager A, Manager at The Barley Mow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for your feedback we look forward to Welcoming you to the Barley Mow :)

Stefan and the Team

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The pub has been completely transformed!! Made to feel very welcome!! Friendly staff, great atmosphere

Food was lovely, great new menu, very little waiting time!!

Free complementary gin and tonic after the meal which was a really lovely touch

Sue in particular was very welcoming and friendly!!
Thanks so much

1  Thank zaraemily2018

Thanks Zara and thankyou for the mention of Sue our new FOH recruit she is great!

Please spread the work Barley Mow great place to work great place to socialise