“Friends and Family get together”
Review of Purple Mango

Purple Mango
Ranked #5 of 193 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Contemporary Indian cuisine At purple mango you will find truly unique menu with original ideas and a refreshing change from your regular curry house. Our selection of freshly prepared food includes fresh vegetables, chicken breast and tender lamb dishes. All our dishes have a distinctive taste,aroma,texture and individual flavour, guaranteed to satisfy any plate. Why not let our chef add a twist to popular dishes from around the continent using only the finest ingredients and traditional cooking experience methods and exclusive to purple mango.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Friends and Family get together”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was new to Indian food and was guided by our friend, the food was good plentiful and was as descibed, the restaurant was clean and attrative, a very efficient service but what spoilt it was we felt we were being rushed, as the waiters kept asking if we had finished, so I felt that if you wanted a slow leisurely meal it was not possible, if you want to eat as fast as you can and get out the door this is the place for you

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Lilliebet218

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistently High Quality.”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I use this restaurant regularly for Take Away purposes mainly. I have always received excellent high quality food and find the service to be excellent. Very surprised to read negative views.

1 Thank Cattlepomp
Banbury, United Kingdom
“What has changed!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We had not tried the Purple mango for some months due to christmas and the weather has not been brilliant of late, but was looking forward to our curry when we ordered it, as it was possibly the best around locally. However I have just returned from collecting it (they don't deliver) and can say that it was probably one of the worst curries we have ever had. They said collect in 20 mins, which I did, but the rice and sag aloo was virtually stone cold, my wife's chicken tikka masala had a funny taste like it was tescos ready cooked chicken that was almost off and had sauce poured on it, and my chicken pathia tasted nothing like a pathia, it had a coconut taste to it and the sauce which is usually redish in colour was green. To be honest the taste and colour of the sauce was very similar to the packet curry sauce a Chinese take away would use in their curries.
I didn't bother taking it back as 1) it was a 10 minute drive 2) I really didn't want another from their 3) I couldn't be bothered arguing about a refund 4) I went to Jaypur in town and got another curry (which was delicious if I am honest, and with Jaypur, we ordered 2 popadoms and they gave us 4. Little things make a difference.
Such a shame but it was nothing like it used to be, wonder if the chef has changed?
Really gutted about this and don't think I will be returning soon as we will now be using Jaypur, and they deliver.

Bicester, England, United Kingdom
“A funky name, doesn't mean its a better restaurant”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We went to the Purple Mango last night for a family members birthday. The last time I went was for a takeaway, and by some way was the worst I've ever had. Ever. Overcooked old mutton in a lamb dish that was literally like the curried soles of a shoe. It was inedible.
I did roll my eyes when we were asked to go for a sit down meal, so decided to give the benefit of the doubt. The restaurant is clean, and decor is modern, with attentive staff, but odd choice in background music.
We didn't opt for starter, although my sons wanted a kebab each.The quality was poor, and mushy. Even at their ages they were disappointed.

On to the main courses, the portions are small, and lack any depth of flavour. The meat, and not just my opinion, appeared from the cheapest cuts the chef can scrape off the bone; overcooked again and seem to not grasp marinating shouldn't dry the dish out. I went for a garlic lamb madras, which was just served as a curry gravy, with tough meat and extra garlic and chillies.

My sons shared a tandoori chicken, and I nearly sent it back. Two of the most stringiest chicken legs I've ever seen. They were left quite hungry afterwards. General thoughts around the table was similar.

The bill, was unexpectedly high too. This restaurant is in a drive-to backwater of Banbury, not the town centre (where TBH it would struggle). There were 18 of us, but were charged £32 just for 4 plates (30)of popodoms! Estimating one course and and two drinks, you are still looking at £20-25 a head. Much higher than equivalent establishments.

This restaurant as someone else has pointed out, seems to be all about charging way over the odds for food with the cheapest possible ingredients. It's a competitive world out there, and more customers are quite rightly being frugal with their money. A night out in a restaurant is a treat, and want to have the best experience possible. I can't say the Purple Mango grasps this.

I won't be returning, and wouldn't recommend to anyone with at least half a taste bud to either.

1 Thank Dan H
Cropredy
“Letting money rule quality”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We opted for a takeaway and I chose to surprise my wife who was expecting Chinese. Last time we went here it was questionable, but I decided to give it another try.
My Balti looked grey as opposed to the usual bright colour of the dish. It was watery and the content was made up of cabbage stalks more so than lamb. It was also just luke warm and priced way over the top for Banbury prices. I also asked for a single naan bread, only to discover two were included and charged for. The whole meal was way over priced.
My wifes' Byriani was also full of cabbage as the main ingredient after rice, plus it was also barely warm. We live some distance away so I did not return it, but will never, ever go back.
I stand by a previous review, if it's a curry you want, go to Voujon.

• Visited December 2013