“Good. With real ale, could be excellent!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cromwell Lodge

Cromwell Lodge
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good. With real ale, could be excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for just one night in this old inn, situated in the middle of Banbury. The location is good, convenient for the town centre and local attractions. Main road outside is noisy if you have a room overlooking the front. Room (18) was fine, a bit old fashioned but full of character, just the way I like it. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Excellent breakfast with good sausages(Gloucester Old Spot!). We had a meal deal (£10 for two mains) for dinner and that was very good.

The only drawback for me was that this is a Greene King Hotel so only their ale on offer in draft form. I had a fairly tasteless pint of IPA (too warm !) and was forced to then go for a Stella which at least has some flavour. G K pubs should definitely start to offer at least one local cask ale to pull in the weirdy beardy real ale..ers !

All in all very pleasant and t be recommended. Hint-take a couple of bottles of real beer to drink in the room!!

Room Tip: See review.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aaandykov
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at the Cromwell Lodge. We believe that all feedback is invaluable to help us to continue to improve, we apologise for any inconvenience caused by us not providing more than one draft Ale, we hope you will return in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Oxford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

For the second week in a row we've sat on a group table and eaten separately, due to slack service. The manager is a wet lettuce with zero decision making capability and operates with a passive aggressive stance, neither backing his staff or the customer. Definitely wouldn't go back as I like eating with my family, not on my own whilst they watch drooling! However, if you'd like a masterclass in excuses, then this is the one for you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
We apologise for the delay in service you experienced and we will be taking on your feedback and measures have already been put into place to stop this from occurring, we hope you will return to the Cromwell Lodge in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Banbury hotels

Cambridgeshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here for one night prior to business. This is not a hotel it is a pub and not a very claen one with rooms. My room had no window!! With temperatures in 30 degrees this was unbearable and surely contravines health and safety. I waityed an hour for a plate of fish and chips and I must have stayed under ther room where a pack of wilder beast were roaming the whole night.

It needs a good claen and upgrading of rooms.

Room Tip: Ask if it has a window before booking
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the to leave feedback on your recent stay, we believe that all feedback is an invaluable tool to be able to continually improve, we hope that you will return to the Cromwell Lodge and we can restore your faith in us.
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This Hotel is tatty! Nothing like the pictures you will see online. We booked in here as we couldn't get rooms in the Whateley Hall Hotel which is about 100yrds up the road, and our preferred choice.
Sadly, this place does not live up to its marketing literature, which is a shame as it is ideally placed to pick up the overflow from the Whateley and has the potential to provide a very satisfactory alternative on occasions when the above is booked out.
We experienced ...
An outdated and very badly lit bedroom
A Bathroom with no shaving light and a low power bulb to light the rest of the room (no window).
A shower over the bath that swivelled 90o on its mount when you turned it on. (fine if you want to wash the walls, not so good if you want to wash yourself!)
A bar/restaurant with tables that were “Sticky” to the touch.
A chief that didn’t know how to cook (pork belly served with the crackling that was still white and floppy).
Breakfast choices (some kind of take on Eggs Benedict... Eggs Kiev or Eggs Vladivostok or something, I can’t remember the precise name) that had to be sent back as there was so much mustard in the mix it was inedible.
Tea at breakfast was made with water that had been stored in a coffee thermos made so making tea undrinkable (unless you like Cofftea that is). The table next to ours were given a teapot that had no lid, when they asked why, they were told it was because the lid could not be found. No thought of getting these people a replacement, just ‘I can’t find the lid’. Wow!
I could go on.
To be fair, if you think of the Cromwell Lodge as an Inn rather than an Hotel, I think you will be quite happy with what you get for the money. It’s all down to perception and expectations I suppose.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent visit to the Cromwell Lodge, we apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay we use feedback as a way of being able to continually improve our standards.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Both myself and my father have enjoyed staying at this hotel on numerous occasions since 2002. We appreciate the hotels cleanliness, tidiness, very comfortable rooms and excellent food. Every member of staff is friendly, polite and keen to offer help. A big thank you to Old English Inns, for providing a truly outstanding hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We really do appreciate all feedback, but we especially appreciate your kind words, the Team were thrilled to hear your comments! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel was in ideal location for an overnight stay prior to a business meeting in the Midlands the next day.

The staff were welcoming and very helpful and my room was cited as "the bridal suite", which sounded very grand but proved to be a little less so.

Although the room was large, with interesting period features and the bed comfortable it all felt a bit tired. It was also a very hot night, the room was in the roof, there was no fan and so I had the windows open. There was a lot of traffic noise from the road outside in the morning and so I didn't get the best nights sleep.

The bathroom was huge but lacking in basic facilities like a shower curtain (everything got very wet), tables, shelves or hooks. The toilet flush also broke whilst I was staying there.

With a little more attention to detail in the facilities, this hotel could be very good rather than just average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rosssully
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Cromwell Lodge. All feedback is invaluable to us to be able to continually improve, which we are continuing to carry out gradually throughout the whole hotel. I will ensure your kind comments regarding the staff are passed on to the Team. We hope to welcome you back to the Cromwell Lodge in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed overnight at this hotel on our way to somewhere else. Unfortunately, there was a wedding party on that night, and the noise was awful. We had no warning of this, but because our room was only about 6 feet away from the marquee, we had no choice but to endure the noise until it stopped at 11.30 pm! Our room had no window. The only light came from the glass patio doors, which was also the only source of ventilation - but leaving the door open was unsafe of course. The bed was comfortable though. Dinner was a mistake - we waited over an hour for our main course, although it was nice when it did arrive. Because we had an early start in the morning, we requested to be served quickly at breakfast after our dinner experience, and I asked for a hard boiled egg - but I was told that it wasn't appropriate as it would 15 minutes to cook! I told the waiter I wanted an egg, not a bullet! In the end I had a fried egg instead. I then asked for decaf coffee, and the waiter brought it in a cup - just that - a cup, no saucer! I wonder why I didn't have a pot? Is that so difficult? We won't be going back there again. It belongs to the Old English chain, but there was only one English person on the whole staff that we met, and I would hope that an English hotel would have known how to serve coffee and eggs in the correct way!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. We take all comments seriously and strive to improve in areas that we may have fallen short. We are very proud of our Team here at the Cromwell Lodge and it is not our Brand to serve coffee in a pot, only tea. We appreciate the comments that you have made and hope that we can welcome you back to the Cromwell Hotel in the future.