“Absolutely perfect, calm and serene. Perfect for spa weekend!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashford International Hotel

Ashford International Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Ashford
Witham, United Kingdom
“Absolutely perfect, calm and serene. Perfect for spa weekend!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed here for a spa weekend, me and my mum took my nan there for a 70th birthday treat. It exceeded my expectations completely.
Fantastic hotl, beautiful rooms, polite staff, delicious food and cocktails.
The Reflections Spa is gorgeous, from the robes and slippers, treatments to the relaxation rooms!!! Perfect for a complete chill out.
A special mention to beauty therapist Alison, fantastic massage and facial! WAlot of the ladies that were there on our weekend think she should get a pay rise as she was so good at her massages and facials!!!
We were all so relaxed and refreshed when we left. Looking to go with partner 'his n hers' soon in the next few months!! Reflection Spa is not be missed!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
Dear Samb0709

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. It’s wonderful to hear that your nan enjoyed her birthday treat. I shared your feedback with the Senior Therapist Allison and she was delighted to be acknowledged personally. I’m pleased that you are planning your next visit with your partner, keep a lookout on our website for the best offers and we look forward to welcoming you both in the near future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

Hotel clean and well kept. Rooms spacious and newly decorated, good standard of bathroom etc. Spa was ok, everything working and in good condition.
Went for a dinner dance so had an evening meal which again was fine. Price of drinks isnt too bad, what you would expect from a hotel of this size.
Only faults are that booking in can be slow if you hit the wrong times and they definelty need more bar staff and ones who have been properly trained as service was very slow and there were a fair few complaints about the standard of the pints being poured.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear Russ38
Thank you for your review and I’m pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at Ashford International Hotel. I have taken on board your comments about the bar service and will address them with my team. Thanks again and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you again. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

Myself and my partner stayed at the Ashford International for our anniversary last weekend for one night.
We found both good and bad points of this hotel and having stayed at 3 other Q Hotels we have something to compare this one too.
We stayed in a superior room (215), spent the afternoon in the leisure area and ate dinner and breakfast in the restaurant.

The hotel was easy to find but not as easy on the eye as other Q Hotels. It looks from the road slightly outdated and I expected to hear a lot of traffic. However once inside, my view changed, as we walked into a very modern hotel which was very open plan with bright décor and could be mistaken for a top London hotel. It is definitely a business hotel and you can sense that vibe from the minute you walk in. The staff from check- in to check- out were all helpful, friendly and polite. A real asset to the hotel - particularly the spa staff.
We found our room easily, which was on a nice quiet corridor- and we could hear no traffic. The room was quite cold however the air con/ heating system in the room was very effective. The decor in the in the rooms is fantastic- very chic and modern- a statement hotel. However we did notice, in our rooms, there were some cleaning issues/ shabby furnishings. The couch had ominous white spills on it, the bed side table had large chips in it, there was a brown spill on the wall near the door and a cobweb on the ceiling. This was disappointing but as we weren’t spending much time in the room it didn’t bother us too much but should be something the hotel sorts out.
The bathroom in our room was very tastefully decorated, well set out and clean- very luxurious. It was very useful to have a fridge in the room as other Q Hotels do not have a fridge unless you stay in a Q Star room.
We are not sure that the advertised “king size bed” was actually king size, it was more a queen size. It certainly was not the same size as the king size beds at Q Hotel Park Royal or Crewe Hall.
The advertised satellite channels consisted of 11 channels including the 5 usual channels and sports/ news channels. If we had wanted to watch a pay movie we had to contact reception first.

The food at dinner was impeccable and it is definitely well worth a visit to the restaurant. The portion sizes are typical restaurant portions however if you have 3 courses then you will be full. Slightly disappointed as with £25 allowance you could only just afford a steak which was £25. There were other choices on the menu however it was not as extensive or comparable in terms of prices to other hotels. At the Park Royal you can easily have steak and another course in your allotted amount.
At the Ashford it cost £3.50 for one solitary scoop of ice cream on a plate- which other guests not just ourselves thought was a bit pricey! There was a large wait time in the restaurant as well which led the people on the table next to us to walk out without dessert. We ate our entire starter whilst they waited for someone to clear their plates.
Breakfast was also yummy with a large choice. The food seemed not to be replenished as often as it could be- there was a plate of mushy fried egg which no one was taking as they had exploded- that same plate was there 10 minutes later. Some of the hot items were also quite tepid.
The seating area outside of the restaurant where you could sit for drinks was a pleasant area but lacked atmosphere- there needed to be music as voices are carried in that area and it was quite embarrassing as we walked down the stairs chatting and giggling to a couple sat in the area who froze and stopped their conversation as it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

The Pool area has all the mod cons and is nicely decorated however the changing facilities were not cleaned/tidied as often as I would have liked- we spent 2 hours in the pool and the changing room was in the same state (rubbish around) as when I originally changed. The sunbeds face the pool which is slightly off putting if you are shy/ have body issues as people do seem to watch you however once you overcome this it is a fantastic pool area with Jacuzzi, sauna etc.
There people eating around the edge of the pool and in places it was a bit shabby (paint off walls, toe nails in the steam room) and having returned from our stay I have developed tonsillitis which I hope is not from our weekend away.

All the things that we found wrong with the hotel were overlooked by us at the time as the positives far outweigh the small niggles and we did have a fantastic time. However, in our opinion, for the hotel to continue to improve there are some issues which require sorting out.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Dear Tilly1622
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I’m delighted that overall you had a relaxing stay and that my team particularly the spa staff were friendly and polite. I also appreciate you highlighting the niggles that you encountered during your stay. Please be assured I have shared your comments with my team and addressed them with each of the relevant departments. If you would like to email me at dbilling@QHotels.co.uk I would be happy to discuss these actions with you in greater detail. That’s great that you have also stayed at the Park Royal and Crew Hall; you may wish to consider joining the QHotels Breakaway Club which offers exclusive benefits to members. Please do get in touch if you would like more information on becoming a member. Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

This was just what the doctor ordered, a lovely hotel, very clean, very helpful and friendly staff, with good food. Throw in a spa, breakfast served to our room, well we had just an amazing time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Dear Mikenuttall

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I’m so pleased to hear you had an amazing time on your spa break. The team will be delighted when I share your comments with them and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager
kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

on arrival the hotel seemed very nice. once we checked in i told the reception that our room was freeezing , and couldnt seem to get the heating on, so they sent someone up to put it on and told us it would take at least 20 minutes before it will start to get warm. Surely, if they knew we were coming shouldn't the room have already been warm?.. , so we decided to go out for an hour and a half. when we came back the room temperature had hardly changed, but thought we wait and see if it improved in time. it did not . after sitting on the bed then discovered that every time you moved or sat on it the coils were all popping in the bed, very uncomfortable. , the noise of the fan was so noisy had to turn it off ,it wasnt letting much warmth out anyway. so the room was freezing and the coils in the bed could be felt and heard with every time you moved. didn't get any sleep so it defeated the obeject of booking a room for a rest over...

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rosie041Kent
GuestRelations11, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2011
Dear Rosie041kent

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I’m sorry to hear that you experienced difficulties with the heating in your room and that the coils in the mattress could be felt. All our beds have sealy mattresses so I would be very grateful if you could email me at dbilling@QHotels.co.uk with your room number so I can rectify the mattress and investigate the temperature controls. My apologies once again and I hope we will get the opportunity to restore your confidence in the future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Had an excellent offer - DBB and an upgrade to Junior Suite. Q Hotels are always plugging their Breakaway Club and I cannot recommend it more - this is how we got our excellent offer AND you get to keep your room until 2pm!! The spa and pool facilities are extremely good, rooms are clean and staff always ready to help. The food is cooked and presented to perfection, although the service for dinner was a little slow - the only fault either of us could find. We have seen this hotel flourish over the last 3 years, as it was a little disjointed to begin with. You cannot fault the location - very close to the Channel ports and the Ashford Outlet Centre and no distance from the Motorway, without having to suffer from the road noise.

Dear JJB1969

Thank you for your lovely review and I’m glad you are enjoying the benefits of the Breakaway Club. I’ll be sure to share your kind words with the team and your feedback about the restaurant service. I’m also pleased that you feel the hotel has flourished in recent years. QHotels is committed to continual investment within our product and ongoing development of our people to ensure you have the best possible experience with us. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager
SE LONDON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

Stayed here for the second time, this time with my daughter for her Birthday. We were on a 1 night Spa Break. Room was clean and comfortable with everything you could need. The food was excellant, last time I complained about the lunch, they have changed this to buffet with a choice of Curry, Stuffed Peppers or Pasta Bake - Excellant, with a choice of 3 desserts. Evening meal was lovely with attentitive friendly staff. Breakfast was also very good.The treatments, a facial and massage - were wonderful and relaxing. The pool is lovely, but the Jacuzzi was freezing cold - This is our only complaint! Steam room and Sauna were lovely too.

Dear Autismsmith

Thank you for posting your review and I am delighted that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay. We take our customers comments seriously and I’m pleased you came back and saw that your feedback had been acted on. It’s only with honest and constructive feedback that that we can improve our customer satisfaction and future guest’s experiences. The Jacuzzi is now back to it’s usual temperature. Thank you again for your lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Holiday Inn Ashford - Central
Premier Inn Ashford (Eureka Leisure Park) Hotel
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
London Beach Country Hotel & Spa

Been to Ashford International Hotel? Share your experiences!