This was our bolthole on the Christmas run to relatives across the channel, a place for the kids to let off steam.
The pool was essential for this and was our main reason for choosing the hotel; good size (20m), lovely hot tub and sauna and steam room for the grownups - although be warned that children are not allowed in after 7pm, so if our arrival had been delayed by bad weather we might have been out of luck. There is only one family changing room (with six lockers in it) so there was a queue to get in - use the male/female facilities if possible.
Our room was as beautifully decorated as the rest of the hotel, although we had to ask twice for the kids' sofa bed to be made up. Limited TV channels and nothing to distract the children. The warm air heating was thermostat controlled in the room itself so we had a good night's sleep (but the swimming kit didn't dry). No internet access.
The bar sells Costa coffee and staff were on hand with kids' activity packs. The restaurant is frankly superb, with some outstanding dishes (the confit of rabbit and the corn fed chicken topped the bill) and high quality ingredients throughout at a reasonable price. Once we had asked about it, we got the kids menu - perhaps it should have arrived automatically with ours. It is nicely varied and under-fives eat free, although we had fun convincing the staff of our tall four-year-old's age! The restaurant does not open until 7 which is late for small ones but well worth it. Breakfast buffet was good (beware of the coffee) and we caused some chaos by asking for hot chocolate for the kids (good little french children) which we were told was coming, then not available, and which finally arrived as we left.
Overall a beautiful hotel and well positioned for channel crossings - let down by a few details of service, and only just within the value for money bracket.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ashford International Hotel is located close to J9 of the M20 motorway and minutes from the Eurostar terminal, Channel Tunnel and only 36 minutes from London. The hotel boasts 19 state-of-the-art conference rooms and 179 sumptuous bedrooms. The hotel has a contemporary brasserie style restaurant Horizon, Costa Coffee and the more informal sports bar with pool table, Quench. Leisure and Spa facilities feature a 20m indoor pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, Technogym, relaxation suite and six beauty treatment rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Ashford International Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ashford Hotel International
- Ashford International Hotel Kent