“great lunch”

Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
“great lunch”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We are regulars to froggies and have never had a bad meal here.Today had the set lunch menu great value and excellent food.Service is relaxed with no rush to get you out a lovely eating experience would recommend it will return.Has the most beautiful view outside idyllic to sit out on a nice day.

• Visited April 2014

Faversham, United Kingdom
“A bad start!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We've always wanted to come back to this pub after finding it by chance one misty winter day last year. Unfortunately it was closed at the time. Despite the last two reviews here being negative, overall the reviews appear positive and so we thought we would give it a go. Phoning up to book a table for Sunday lunch, we were very impressed by the response to my inquiry regarding vegetarian meals for my partner. Everything sounded good. We arrived for our table at 1:30 on Sunday. The pub appeared pretty much deserted. I think there were only two other families there when we arrived so they were hardly over worked. There were two people behind the bar. One was serving one of the other customers around the side of the bar and the other was polishing the glasses. Unfortunately, despite both being aware of our presence, there was no welcome, no 'we will be with you in a moment', it was as if we were invisible. We stood there for several minutes with the girl cleaning the glasses looking our way occasionally but still no sign that they were prepared to acknowledge us. After being ignored for a further few minutes we turned around and left. This may not reflect how customers would normally be greeted at this pub and certainly many of the reviews are good and as I explained, the greeting (or lack of it) we experienced was a long way from the good impression we were left with when booking our table. Unfortunately, customer service IS important and first impressions DO count. As a result it will be a long time before we try this pub again. As a contrast,after leaving we went to the Tiger Inn in Stowton to see if they had a table. Unfortunately they didn't but the welcome we had when we entered and the apologies we received from the staff for not being able to find us a table spoke volumes about each premises attitude to customer service. I think it was no coincidence that where the Timber Batts were practically empty on a Sunday lunch time, the Tiger Inn was heaving!

• Visited April 2014
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“avoid”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I have visited the bub before and thought the food was average. Last night we gave it another try. I found the food overpriced and overcooked. The restraunt was cold, the service was extremely slow. When our meal arrived it was over cooked and the fries and potatoes had been fried in old, dirty oil. We waited over 40 minutes for our desert. When it finally arrived it too was disappointing. The rhubarb crumble was packed with apple and the crumble was burnt. I brought this to the attention of the landlord he was indifferent. My worry was that if the chef doesn't keep his cooking oil clean what else is he leaving to chance. This Pub does have country charm but the food is poor. There are so many country pubs serving a much better standard of food and at a more competitive price

• Visited March 2014
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We visited the Timber Batts for the first time, based on its excellent reviews, for my Mother's birthday. We were a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 children). On arrival the girl behind the counter seemed to have no record of our booking (we had booked by phone with the owner a few days before) and flustered about hastily laying a table for us. The menu looked most appetising and they offered a snack menu for the children to choose from. The service was ridiculously slow. Almost an hour for starters, though they were worth the wait. Our notoriously slow eating children managed to actually eat their whole meal before our mains arrived some 45-50 after the starters. Empty plates were left at the table for far too long whilst waiting staff went empty-handed to the kitchen to collect meals. We had to ask for extra drinks, we were not asked how things were after meals were delivered - basic service skills absent. The food was generally good, it must be said but min course portions on some of the meals were very small and my burger was overdone as was the crumble topping on the rhubarb crumble element of our 'trio of desserts'. The lunch took 3 hours - far too long for little children to sit quietly and we heard grumbles about the wait from several tables around us (also with children). Such as shame as we really were expecting something a bit special.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Planethayley
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A great place to visit !”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had a great time, the food was excellent, the staff were amazing, considering how full the place was.The Timber Batts had been recommended to me by several friends, who's judgement I trust, so they had a lot to live up to before I even got there. Frankly, it was everything I had been promised and more! When we left, we were already looking to the return visit which will be next week. I am surprised by the two people who wrote negative reviews, it's as though they are talking about somewhere else...although they do come across as being rather critical, so perhaps that's the reason. The meal was so good, that although I don't put a lot on my Facebook page, I Immediately passed on the experience to my friends, so that says it all!
Bon Appetit