“Sunday Lunch Sue”

The Preston Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
“Sunday Lunch Sue”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I had a lovely Sunday Lunch here with my daughter & son in law - thank you. Tastey food, with a delicious home made bread & butter pudding. Warm inviting, good clean restaurant with very pleasant staff, they were delightful - thank you. I understand this hotel is under new management - so good luck.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SundayLunchSue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have been booked in here by my company, this has to be BYFAR the worst hotel i have ever stayed in for cleanliness. There are cobwebs on the ceiling, behind the tv hasn't seen a duster in a millennium and the bathroom is beyond description, there are scuff marks all over the walls and stains on the carpet. There is NO food served in the eve mon-thurs, they instead taxi you to a restaurant in town which is over priced with small portions. On return at 8pm the main hotel and bar are CLOSED !! With not a pub or shop in the local vicinity. Overall an extremely dire experience, i will be instructing my company to change the hotel booking first thing in the morning.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gummi2174
Preston H, Owner at The Preston Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
We are pleased to announce that with effect from the 4th March, Paul and Vicky Smith and Paul and Lisa Craig along with some very competent and enthusiastic colleagues have taken over the running of the Preston.
We can now assure you of a very warm welcome, a clean and comfortable room, a lovely bar and restaurant serving drinks and hearty food from Monday to Saturday evenings and on Sundays we offer a traditional roast.
We are aware of some negative reviews of late but we are confident that recent issues have been eliminated through our customer focused approach.
We look forward to seeing you very soon.
The team.
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We turned up at around 4.30pm for a one night stay on a Saturday and found the place to be locked up and deserted! There was a notice on the back door to ring a number which we duly did and ten minutes later a man arrived and did not acknowledge us and just opened the hotel and we followed him in. At the back of the hotel was an annex which did not look good. When the man who opened up gave us our key my heart sank as he told us we were out in the annex. There was no way we were going to stay in the room which was decorated and furnished to a very poor standard. It looked nothing like the pictures on the Preston hotel web site and I put this point to the chap who we had seen a couple of minutes earlier. He had no hesitation in agreeing to my request to cancel the booking and did not seem surprised when I offered the feedback. The whole place had the air of an establishment which was on the verge of closing down. I'd think VERY carefully before making any booking at the Preston. Credit to booking.com who called us within ten minutes to confirm the booking was cancelled and no charge was made.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daveyg1972
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I'm not writing this as a joke, I wish it was. The service in this place is definitely a joke. I have never been treated so badly as I was here, it was disgusting. It was so bad it compelled me to write a review where I have never felt the need before. From the second I walked in the door, after having to call a mobile number to be let in, I was made to feel unwelcome. The man who met me seemed angry at my being there at all, and as a lone female traveller I did my best to coax him to be civil but he was having none of it. I had obviously dragged him out against his will. I had arrived at nine o'clock but he behaved like it was three in the morning. I agreed to take my fellow travelers' key to her room and let her in as she would be arriving later, this seemed to cheer him slightly. My room was in the main house and FREEZING cold, there was no extra heating and a cold night ensued. There was no hot water and I resorted to boiling a kettle to heat my feet. Also, the large windows had no curtains and the wind whistled through them. Why did I not call the grumpy angry man to ask for a heater I hear you ask? I felt intimidated by him and had no wish to see him again that night. I wore all my clothes to bed and had an awful nights' sleep. Next morning I was prepared to forget about the freezing room and I thought at least my company has booked a cooked breakfast. They had, but this is where all hell let loose. All pretence of being civil was dropped by this awful, awful man. He argued about everything - insisted no breakfast had been booked, the broken radiator (nothing wrong with it, and if the room was cold, what do you expect, its minus 5 outside). AT NO POINT DID HE APOLOGISE OR SAY SORRY. After I told him I had never been spoken to like this by anybody, never mind someone in Hotel customer services, he started telling me how he hated the place and I had to stop him there. I was upset by this point, I had had enough. He then grudgingly offered me a cooked breakfast but for obvious reasons I declined and left. All in all, a truly terrible experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wearytraveller137
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My friends and i stayed at The Preston Hotel on the 4th of December. It was an Absolute bargain. The rooms were lovely and spacious, clean and well decorated. There was a lovely homely atmosphere. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating letting us check in early and check out late as we had a funeral to attend. The breakfast was delicious and the bar was great. It was an all round brilliant experience and i would highly recommend it to anyone needing to stay in the area. Thank you Preston Hotel!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Hotel advertises a bar and restaurant services, they are not available on Tuesdays despite being advertised. They do not tell you at time of checking in, you only find out when you turn up for food & a beer.
I would not have booked in had I known this, and a 7 pm it's not easy to start trying to find accommodation !
No offer of reduction in room rates either.
Booking.com ignore complaint emails as well.

DON'T BOOK IN HERE!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Steveiro
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

A good small independent hotel; just out of the town centre. Stayed in one of the annex rooms, it was large well appointed and convenient for business travel. Had a good evening meal in the restaurant. Would certainly go back again if traveling in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business