“A Great Lunch”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
St Albans, United Kingdom
“A Great Lunch”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stooped off here for our lunch whilst on a weekend away. What a find it was, a little gem and worth a visit if you are passing this way. The food and service were excellent and very good value, our only problem was what to pick of the menu, the choice was so tempting.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Steve_wendy181

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everything you would hope for in a pub.”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a well run pub.
The welcome is always friendly, the food is always excellent and imaginative.
The home smoked sardines in particular.
Nice decor with cheery open fire in winter, and lovely garden in open surroundings.
It is next to Tintinhull Gardens which are Small but well worth visiting.

1 Thank Sheila B
Batheaston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“simply fantastic and we turned up out of the blue with no warning”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Travelling down to Maidencombe near Torquay from many miles away to celebrate a big family occasion we needed a food stop for late lunch on Friday 28th March. Found this place by complete fluke, the car park was full as was the place - neither of these things deterred us from staying for lunch. There is a very good sign showing the Crown and Victoria Inn on the main A road that we were travelling on down to Torquay which is why we ended up here!!!!!

This establishment was pretty full and staff looked busy. We were greeted with a smile from Mark and shown to a nicely located table. Our orders were taken promptly by a lady that served us, and there was plenty of variety of choices to have for lunch. My mother-in-law and I had an omelette each my wife ciabatta all accompanied with fresh salad. I love omelette yet rarely eat them either at home or out. The food was excellent and this was the best omelette I have ever eaten and the salad was very fresh indeed.

The staff were charging around because they were exceedingly busy, yet all staff we spoke to including Mark and Isabel were incredibly friendly and very professional, and they made some time for us which I thought was just brilliant.

I seldom drive down these parts, however I am due to drive to Cornwall in June for a family holiday and if this pub is on the way then I am going to suggest we stop off at a wonderful pub for a bite to eat. I would score this place as follows: 10/10 for food 10/10 for being friendly and 11/10 for the staff that work here. Pity this isn't local to where I live - still ever so pleased we found this place - I strongly recommend you visit it - please.

1 Thank PeacefulWarrior13
Southport, United Kingdom
“Best Chips.................In the World!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This charming and particularly well run pub is in an idyllic and tranquil location with lovely gardens and nearby countryside walks. It has imaginative and enterprising food with a first class landlord (Mark) and landlady (Issie) and warm friendly staff (Gloria).
The friendly and relaxed bar has an extensive wine list. As a CAMRA member I was very pleased to see four interesting hand pulled real ale beers and four ciders, some very local, also a range of Euro Fizz (Larger).
In the smart comfortable restaurant which has a stunning log burning inglenook fireplace there is a warm atmosphere. The imaginative and creative food is outstanding. The wealth of taste explosions that occurred in my mouth are too many to mention. I don’t confess to being an enthusiast connoisseur of chips, but even the chip are outstanding and unique (go on Mark tells us how you cook them). The freshly cooked vegetables are exciting and delicious to eat, all my greens eaten up as if they were a pieces of the chiefs best cooked British Silverside, Nom nom nom :)
It really is an exceptional place for a drink, a meal or an overnight stay
Alister Sainter
Southport
Lancashire

PS The Crown & Victoria Overlooks the National Trust Tintinhull Gardens, Lovely location with views of Hamstone cottages with sewn on roofs (Thatched roofs)

1 Thank AWSainter
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Consistent Quality & Service”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Further to our visit last year, we've recently returned and pleased to say that that the same level of friendliness and service has been maintained. Excellent food, as we enjoyed a delicious seafood dish from the specials board.

1 Thank DRB2411