“Awful”

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
Essex, United Kingdom
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here with my mother on the 17th July and after a long, hot unpleasant journey, we arrived to an uninterested barman. He gave us each a key (as we have separate rooms) and told us to go through the arch to find our rooms -it took us 10 minutes to find them as we got lost and we met another guest who has also been searched for 10 Minutes! The stair, hall and bathroom carpets were dirty. There was no chair in my bedroom. The Bathroom was ok - Toilet and sink were clean, but the bath and shower curtain were stained and dirty. We went to eat in the pub and the 2 choices on the menu that i wanted were unavailable. As it was hot we sat outside and it was dirty and tired. My Sleep was awful as the hotel/pup was noisy and were banging. My room overlooked the car park and 2 women were sitting on the flat roof outside my window discussing their sex life and singing at 2am. In the morning at about 6am there was an arguement between a van driver and the pub staff which included swearing. The breakfast was awful as there was only a few choices in the cooked section. The Staff were very disinterested that we had slept so poorly. I would never recommend you to anyone.

Room Tip: Read reviews on Trip Adviser before choosing a hotel/bed and Breakfast. I would recommend finding an...
1 Thank generaltodd
The-Globe-And-Crown, Manager at Globe & Crown, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

Apologies your stay wasnt up to our usual standards. We have worked hard turning the outside area around so now it is a pleasant area to sit and enjoy a drink or some food in.
The problem outside didnt directly involve staff, however we are very sorry to hear of your disturbances and management were apologising to as many residents as possible for this.
Our food menu is usual stocked up well, however in rare occasions certain foods have run out, apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you may consider saying with us again and we would make sure you will walk away with a better memory.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Essex, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here with my son on the 17th July and after a very long hot journey, (as we hit horrendous traffic) we arrived to an unfriendly and uninterested barman.He gave us each a key and told us to go through the arch to find our rooms-it took us 10 minutes to find them as we got lost and we met another guest who has also been searching for 10 minutes! The stair,hall and bedroom carpets were dirty and the velour chair in my bedroom was filthy.My bathroom was clean. We went to eat the pub and the 2 choices on the menu my son wanted were not available.As it was a very hot night we sat outside and the ashtrays were over flowing and there were broken chairs scattered around.All night long the hotel/pub was noisy and doors were banging.My son's room overlooked the car park and 2 middle aged women were sitting on the roof outside his window discussing their sex life at 2am and there was then an arguement between a lorry driver and pub staff which included swearing at 6am. The breakfast was adequate but the staff were very disinterested that we had slept so poorly.

Room Tip: read reveiws on trip advisor before choosing a hotel/bed & breakfast
1 Thank hettiehen
Thank you for your review.

First of all we are very sorry to hear of the faults during your stay and we will be taking a closer look into what happened during this day! As our customers are always our top priority and we strive to make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible.

If you were too book with us in the near future a room with a better view can be allocated.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Yeovil hotels

Warwick, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Visited this hotel on 8 August 14 my partner booked a one night stay as we were travelling through with our two kids, on arrival I parked outside the pub as we did not know where the car park was my partner nipped into the pub to find out but was told to just park in the side alley (an unlit gloomy alley) i parked in the alley while we went to check in,

To check in we had to enter the bar area where I went to the bar where we was kept waiting for roughly five minutes while the barman a nice young chap served customers there beers(not the environment I wanted to have my two young children standing in)when we did get seen the barman handed us a piece of paper and asked us to check our details we quickly realised the children had not been added to the reservation we tried to question it straight away but the barman was away serving other customers (he was under pressure as I could not see any other staff helping this poor guy) I got his attention and questioned the reservation this was quickly rectified we got our key no. 28 top floor off the side alley (great!)

I quickly proceeded to get the kids out of the pub to the car to unpack and find somewhere safe for my car, on reaching the alley we was greeted by a guy weeing up the entry I hurried my children and partner to the car to unpack,

Once unpacked we hiked the two flights of stairs to the family room, bit tired looking and a few loose fittings, small window so very hot on the top floor but the room did have a fan, overall not bad of a room for the cheap price which also included breakfast,

After our long journey we decided we would get some food as the barman said they were still serving, so we hiked down the stairs through the alley to the bar where where we looked at the menu which did not offer what we liked (which still wasn't a problem as it happens) so we found a Hungary horse (the bell inn highly recommended) on returning to the hotel I dropped off my partner and kids right at the door in the alley watched them go in before finding parking on the doctors carpark,

I walked back the hotel and went up to the room the television was small but was lucky to have one at the price paid, we slept quite well and arose the next day for breakfast,

Breakfast was set out at the side of the bar with a cooked breakfast and different choices of breads and serials on taking our seats we seen a nice lady we think was the manager who asked us how we slept and to help ourselves to whatever we liked great I thought as we were starving,

I sorted the kids with their serials and my partner had toast I went for the cooked breakfast I went up to help myself when I was greeted by what I think called herself the chef who snarled at me and told me quite bluntly that I could not help myself and was given the smallest breakfast that I had to get my partner to go back up and get more for me like we were school children (quite funny really) overall was not bad for the money with the breakfast but would not stay again due to the alley and the freaks that hang around in it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marcus L
Thank you for your review.

We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us what not up to our usual high standards. And given the opportunity we would have tried our best to have moved your family room to a lower floor, however the hotel was at full capacity.
Unfortunately outside of the hotel it is a little difficult as the walkway is also a public footpath. If brought to our attention we would have attended to the indecency.
We hope you do reconsider staying with us again and a more convenient room will be allocated to your needs.
Apologies once again for the faults during your stay and things will be looked at more in depth.

Kind regards
Gravesend, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were travelling with my mother, who is in her eighties. We requested a room for her with as few stairs as possible. She was allocated a room on the first floor of an annex that was accessed by an external metal fire escape. The young man on 'reception' - the bar - had to call the manager to help. The room was changed to a ground floor room with the explanation that the booking website had allocated the room. On retiring for the night my mother had difficulty locking the door. In the morning she could not unlock the door and was trapped for over twenty minutes until another guest heard her cries for help and contacted the staff. My mother had to pass the room key out of the external window (with bars) and the staff managed to unlock the door from the outside. What if there had been a fire during the night? By the way, I stayed here two years ago, and the keys and locks were problematic then. Having released my mother from her room, as we went into the bar for breakfast I overheard the staff talking and saying 'why didn't she mention it last night', as though it was her own fault for being locked in her room. In any event, we had no contact number for emergencies, there were no staff available after the pub closed at 11 pm and my mother couldn't get a mobile phone signal in her room. Our room was on the third floor (no lift). One wall had what appeared to be modern wallpaper and there were scatter cushions on the bed. The rest of the decor and furniture was old, old-fashioned and there was evidence of a leak from the toilet cistern and peeling paint on the wall above the tiles in the bathroom. The toilet cistern dripped noisily and continuously. The double bed was against the external wall so we had to clamber in from one side. The bedside drawer was missing. The occupants of nearby rooms played music loudly and had very loud conversations until past midnight. They seemed to be going in and out of their rooms with much slamming of doors. No aircon or fan and so we had to have the windows open all night - with the resulting noise from the street. There are three sets of double doors between the street and the accommodation attached to the pub. These were never locked and so the building was insecure and accessible to anyone, resident or not. We did not feel safe. In the morning the breakfast was acceptable although there was no boiling water for tea, which made it unpleasant and so I tried a coffee. This was lukewarm at best. There was no sauce or ketchup to accompany the cooked breakfast. I wanted to tell the staff about our bad experience when we checked out and ask for a refund - I now know why you pay on arrival! - but as breakfast service had finished the pub doors were locked and although I could see staff inside clearing tables they ignored my knocking on the door. We posted our keys into the box in the unused reception area next to the pub and left, never to return. There is good value and there is cheap. The rooms were cheap. The experience was nasty. Not recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
The-Globe-And-Crown, General Manager at Globe & Crown, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

First of all our sincere apologies for the problem with the lock which has since been looked at replaced.
Unfortunately the request didnt come through to us regarding a ground floor room, however im pleased that was recovered.
The main door is locked, however when guests are going to and fro, the door must have been left open. But on closure all doors are checked for safety reasons.

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us had some faults, however work has undergone and recovered.

Townsville, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Booked on line and based on reviews, this hotel/pub was central to our needs, so we booked it.

On arrival, the check in was at the public bar, painful experience as the young bartender didn't have much idea but was helpful as he could be. We paid and had to ask for the room key as it had been forgotten, a simple enough mistake. 69 quid was the room rate and theta was probably 30 quid too much.

The car park was a shared common parking area which was negotiated via some back streets, both staff members gave us the same directions but were not totally correct and had to be renegotiated to find the parking spaces.

Once the parking was sorted, we went to the bar area to order meals and sat down to peruse the menu, deciding on some appetisers and mains. Off to the bar again to put in the order - except when we got there, no soup of the day was available as it 'had finished', there was no steak or chicken but we could have some if we waited for it to thaw out??

As it was 8pm, we had another look at the menus, the offer was of course to 'go and get some' or '20 minutes to thaw some out', a poor choice in either case. We packed up and on the advice of some locals in the bar, went downtown and found some Indian takeaway which suited us fine and we were back in under half an hour.

In all, service was as slack as it could be, the waitress was downright surly in nature and the offerings for dinner choice were little better than a 12 year old could dream up, so we took our money elsewhere because it was so lousy.

As a positive, the room was clean albeit up several flights of stairs, across a walkway and adjacent to an alley where the drunks from the pub go home at full volume.

One window opened and the other had been frozen shut since about WW2, but it was somewhere to sleep, although if you're incapacitated in any way, forget it as the stairs would prohibit your entry.

Would I stay here again?? Not unless it was the only hotel left in England and even then it'd be a hard choice given the slack service and choice of meals at 8pm at night...

Room Tip: Don't bother! We only gave it a 'terrible' because there wasn't a worse category. P...
2 Thank Bob S
The-Globe-And-Crown, Manager at Globe & Crown, responded to this review, 18 July 2014

We take pride in all areas here at the Globe & Crown and as a team would like to apologise for your stay not being up to our high standards.
Unfortunately through our underestimation the kitchen was a lot busier than the past few weeks, as we had a busy lunchtime and a very busy start to dinner service. Therefore towards the end of service certain ingredients became minimal.
The Globe & Crown has a great menu that has proven to be successful and goes down very well.
Management were always on site and would have been happy to discuss any queries you may have had as it is always in our best interest for guests to take a good memory away with them. Recent questionnaires show a 97% satisfactory report. Once again as a team we apologise for the recent faults you may have experienced and we will continue to strive to our full potential.
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

What a great place to stay.

I have been working in the Yeovil area for the last two months and the Globe & Crown has been my home away from home. They are in the center of town located near lots of shopping and Tesco a good place to purchase your basic needs.
This is more than just a hotel they also have a full kitchen and bar. The rates are good and breakfast is included. They offer a full English breakfast with extras such as jams muffins and cereals. They are also willing to make you eggs anyway you like; I suggest trying the Spanish omelet.
Housekeeping is done daily, fresh towels and cleaning is great. They are willing to consider any request to make your stay more relaxing and enjoyable.
They are open for lunch and dinner. They have great chefs, ask what the chef’s special is Dillon is creative and has some great ideas. They also have a Sunday carvery that is fantastic. Michelle is also a great chef and this is a perfect Sunday meal.
The bar is a great place to hang out and enjoy meeting some of the local people from Yeovil. They offer a great selection on sprits and beers. They also have a cider bar in the garden with a big screen T.V. This has been a great place to watch football.
Dillon and Charlene who are the owners do everything possible to meet customer expectations. I will be back in August and plant to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John F
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I read the reviews for this hotel after making my booking and was a little worried. I decided that as it was just for the one night we would just have to put up and shut up. Prior to arrival I had phoned the hotel to enquire if we could possibly check in earlier than 2 p.m. We were told our rooms would be ready by 11.30 which was ideal. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly gentleman and a lady who noticed our 9 week old Grandson and asked if we had requested a cot. We hadn't so she immediately went to the family room and erected one for us. The rooms were old commensurate with the age of the building and could probably do with updating. However the beds were comfortable and clean and all the facilities were adequate. There wasn't a huge choice for the cooked breakfast however there was plenty of "continental" choices and there was no need to leave the table hungry.

Room Tip: We were in the building adjoining the pub and had no problems with noise etc.
1 Thank Sandy T