“Oh dear visit at your peril”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Globe & Crown

Globe & Crown
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
“Oh dear visit at your peril”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

I kinda feel sorry for the couple that are running this place but feel their hands are somewhat tied the hotel needs a complete refirb. If it was I am sure that they would be the ones to run it.
HOWEVER!
Room was tiny, we booked a family room and were put into two adjoining rooms with double beds, less than ideal for a 15 year old boy and 11 year old girl. The shower flooded the room and in the moring we were woken by the bin men rolling the bin down the ally outside, it sounded like it was end over end.
Breakfast was dismal, if we had bought it from home the day before it would have been warmer. BUT the "Chef" a scruffy dirty looking woman, who kept going off for a fag, then after breakfast was seen by my wife leaving the toilet with out washing her hands. We were in such a hurry to get away we left a bag behind, the nice couple who ran the Hotel did keep hold of it for us. They deserve better than this hell hole.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
1 Thank RobAiers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
lincolshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed in a double room for one night.
You have to check in at the bar and although they were quite busy, it was a Saturday, we were checked in, directed to our room and to the car park in under 10 minutes.
We had room number 3 and although it is in need of updating a little, it was clean and had tea, coffee etc.
Breakfast is a buffet style cooked breakfast which you can fill up on. As much juice and tea and coffee as you like gives you a good start to the day.
The car park can be a bit tricky to get into. the alleyway at the side of the pub is plenty wide enough but at the top there are bollards with only just enough room to get your car through.
I would stay here again for a night or two.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigguyx
The-Globe-And-Crown, Manager at Globe & Crown, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your time to write a review.

We are working hard to make sure all rooms are more of a modern look.
The car park has an entrance that is located via Penn Hill and has no restrictions for cars to get through. Apologies if you were directed through the arch way!

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Worcester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Arrived around 7.30pm and were unable to find the advertised car park, so I left the car parked outside and popped into the busy bar to ask for clarification. We were sent up a steep and very tight, what can only be described as an alley, aside the pub which only just managed to get our car through. The car park only has spaces for 8 cars, but you can park in the adjacent Surgery car park, though this is at your risk as there are clear signs warning of clamping and fines for non-patient parking. The car park is not only very small, but incredibly steep, making manoeuvring into and out of a space an activity that requires expert clutch control and special awareness.
We unloaded the car and abseiled down the hill to the pub. The bar was busy and only one barman serving. We arrived at the same time as a group of 4 men were ordering their meal and 4 workmen arrived to book in also. They were asked to pay up front for their reservation, but there was some dispute, so we were given a form to fill in and told to have a seat and we would be attended to later. We paid for our rooms and were given the key and directions to our room - in a completely separate building 10m down the road!
The entrance to the 'hotel' was an unassuming set of double doors off of the main road. Past an empty 'reception' with the shutter pulled down, through another set of double doors, across a small entrance hall, through another door to the stairs and up two flights of stairs to our room. We were given room #4 (or possibly #5), which was sandwiched between the stairwell and the front of the building overlooking the road, meaning we not only had the pleasure of hearing every other guest stomping up and down the stairs, but also every car, bus, drunk and workman passing below our window.
The room was adequate for a single night, but not a cosy romantic rest area for a couple. The original sash windows had been covered with a single pain of glass, providing almost no sound proofing. There was a drawer missing in the vanity desk and the bed not only creaked, but had a 'lover's dip' in the middle. The bathroom was clean, but in need of some serious updating, the seals had all corroded and the sink had a crack in it.
Our first night we were kept up by workmen drilling and hammering until 1am, then woken by the bin-men below our perfectly soundproofed windows at 5.50am. Wearily we awoke for breakfast, showered (the only outstanding aspect of the room) and headed down, outside, along the street and into the bar. Thankfully the weather was dry and mild. The 'help yourself' cooked breakfast was cold, despite being in metal heated trays; as was the coffee. Only one toaster worked, thus guests had to queue in order to brown their bread. The rest of the breakfast on offer was good and provided everything we needed.
The second night we were again disturbed by noise of other guests through the paper thin walls as well as from the creaking floorboards of the heavy footed ungulates in the rooms above, then to cap it all off, were once again awoken at around 5.50am by the very discreet bin-men on the street below.
Once we had had breakfast - warmer this time, we packed up and checked out. In order to return our key we had to knock on the locked door of the pub. Eventually someone arrived at the door, took the key, muttered a brief 'thanks' and closed the door on us. A simple enquiry as to the pleasantness of our stay would have gone a long way . . . .
Overall, a cheap rate that does include breakfast and all clean, but does leave a lot to be desired.
At least you know what to expect

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben M
Thankyou for your time to review.

We always strive to offer our guests a pleasant stay, however there are a number of faults during your stay and these will be looked at more in depth.

Breakfast is aimed to always be of a top quality with a cooked breakfast and continental options.

Apologies for the disturbances of transporting bins etc, we are trying to change timings so this isnt a problem in the future.

Once again, apologies for the faults during your stay but an investigation into each issue will be looked at and resolved.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Yeovil hotels

Essex, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here with my mother on the 17th July and after a long, hot unpleasant journey, we arrived to an uninterested barman. He gave us each a key (as we have separate rooms) and told us to go through the arch to find our rooms -it took us 10 minutes to find them as we got lost and we met another guest who has also been searched for 10 Minutes! The stair, hall and bathroom carpets were dirty. There was no chair in my bedroom. The Bathroom was ok - Toilet and sink were clean, but the bath and shower curtain were stained and dirty. We went to eat in the pub and the 2 choices on the menu that i wanted were unavailable. As it was hot we sat outside and it was dirty and tired. My Sleep was awful as the hotel/pup was noisy and were banging. My room overlooked the car park and 2 women were sitting on the flat roof outside my window discussing their sex life and singing at 2am. In the morning at about 6am there was an arguement between a van driver and the pub staff which included swearing. The breakfast was awful as there was only a few choices in the cooked section. The Staff were very disinterested that we had slept so poorly. I would never recommend you to anyone.

Room Tip: Read reviews on Trip Adviser before choosing a hotel/bed and Breakfast. I would recommend finding an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank generaltodd
Thank you for your review.

Apologies your stay wasnt up to our usual standards. We have worked hard turning the outside area around so now it is a pleasant area to sit and enjoy a drink or some food in.
The problem outside didnt directly involve staff, however we are very sorry to hear of your disturbances and management were apologising to as many residents as possible for this.
Our food menu is usual stocked up well, however in rare occasions certain foods have run out, apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you may consider saying with us again and we would make sure you will walk away with a better memory.
Essex, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here with my son on the 17th July and after a very long hot journey, (as we hit horrendous traffic) we arrived to an unfriendly and uninterested barman.He gave us each a key and told us to go through the arch to find our rooms-it took us 10 minutes to find them as we got lost and we met another guest who has also been searching for 10 minutes! The stair,hall and bedroom carpets were dirty and the velour chair in my bedroom was filthy.My bathroom was clean. We went to eat the pub and the 2 choices on the menu my son wanted were not available.As it was a very hot night we sat outside and the ashtrays were over flowing and there were broken chairs scattered around.All night long the hotel/pub was noisy and doors were banging.My son's room overlooked the car park and 2 middle aged women were sitting on the roof outside his window discussing their sex life at 2am and there was then an arguement between a lorry driver and pub staff which included swearing at 6am. The breakfast was adequate but the staff were very disinterested that we had slept so poorly.

Room Tip: read reveiws on trip advisor before choosing a hotel/bed & breakfast
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hettiehen
Thank you for your review.

First of all we are very sorry to hear of the faults during your stay and we will be taking a closer look into what happened during this day! As our customers are always our top priority and we strive to make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible.

If you were too book with us in the near future a room with a better view can be allocated.

Warwick, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Visited this hotel on 8 August 14 my partner booked a one night stay as we were travelling through with our two kids, on arrival I parked outside the pub as we did not know where the car park was my partner nipped into the pub to find out but was told to just park in the side alley (an unlit gloomy alley) i parked in the alley while we went to check in,

To check in we had to enter the bar area where I went to the bar where we was kept waiting for roughly five minutes while the barman a nice young chap served customers there beers(not the environment I wanted to have my two young children standing in)when we did get seen the barman handed us a piece of paper and asked us to check our details we quickly realised the children had not been added to the reservation we tried to question it straight away but the barman was away serving other customers (he was under pressure as I could not see any other staff helping this poor guy) I got his attention and questioned the reservation this was quickly rectified we got our key no. 28 top floor off the side alley (great!)

I quickly proceeded to get the kids out of the pub to the car to unpack and find somewhere safe for my car, on reaching the alley we was greeted by a guy weeing up the entry I hurried my children and partner to the car to unpack,

Once unpacked we hiked the two flights of stairs to the family room, bit tired looking and a few loose fittings, small window so very hot on the top floor but the room did have a fan, overall not bad of a room for the cheap price which also included breakfast,

After our long journey we decided we would get some food as the barman said they were still serving, so we hiked down the stairs through the alley to the bar where where we looked at the menu which did not offer what we liked (which still wasn't a problem as it happens) so we found a Hungary horse (the bell inn highly recommended) on returning to the hotel I dropped off my partner and kids right at the door in the alley watched them go in before finding parking on the doctors carpark,

I walked back the hotel and went up to the room the television was small but was lucky to have one at the price paid, we slept quite well and arose the next day for breakfast,

Breakfast was set out at the side of the bar with a cooked breakfast and different choices of breads and serials on taking our seats we seen a nice lady we think was the manager who asked us how we slept and to help ourselves to whatever we liked great I thought as we were starving,

I sorted the kids with their serials and my partner had toast I went for the cooked breakfast I went up to help myself when I was greeted by what I think called herself the chef who snarled at me and told me quite bluntly that I could not help myself and was given the smallest breakfast that I had to get my partner to go back up and get more for me like we were school children (quite funny really) overall was not bad for the money with the breakfast but would not stay again due to the alley and the freaks that hang around in it.

1 Thank Marcus L
Thank you for your review.

We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us what not up to our usual high standards. And given the opportunity we would have tried our best to have moved your family room to a lower floor, however the hotel was at full capacity.
Unfortunately outside of the hotel it is a little difficult as the walkway is also a public footpath. If brought to our attention we would have attended to the indecency.
We hope you do reconsider staying with us again and a more convenient room will be allocated to your needs.
Apologies once again for the faults during your stay and things will be looked at more in depth.

Gravesend, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were travelling with my mother, who is in her eighties. We requested a room for her with as few stairs as possible. She was allocated a room on the first floor of an annex that was accessed by an external metal fire escape. The young man on 'reception' - the bar - had to call the manager to help. The room was changed to a ground floor room with the explanation that the booking website had allocated the room. On retiring for the night my mother had difficulty locking the door. In the morning she could not unlock the door and was trapped for over twenty minutes until another guest heard her cries for help and contacted the staff. My mother had to pass the room key out of the external window (with bars) and the staff managed to unlock the door from the outside. What if there had been a fire during the night? By the way, I stayed here two years ago, and the keys and locks were problematic then. Having released my mother from her room, as we went into the bar for breakfast I overheard the staff talking and saying 'why didn't she mention it last night', as though it was her own fault for being locked in her room. In any event, we had no contact number for emergencies, there were no staff available after the pub closed at 11 pm and my mother couldn't get a mobile phone signal in her room. Our room was on the third floor (no lift). One wall had what appeared to be modern wallpaper and there were scatter cushions on the bed. The rest of the decor and furniture was old, old-fashioned and there was evidence of a leak from the toilet cistern and peeling paint on the wall above the tiles in the bathroom. The toilet cistern dripped noisily and continuously. The double bed was against the external wall so we had to clamber in from one side. The bedside drawer was missing. The occupants of nearby rooms played music loudly and had very loud conversations until past midnight. They seemed to be going in and out of their rooms with much slamming of doors. No aircon or fan and so we had to have the windows open all night - with the resulting noise from the street. There are three sets of double doors between the street and the accommodation attached to the pub. These were never locked and so the building was insecure and accessible to anyone, resident or not. We did not feel safe. In the morning the breakfast was acceptable although there was no boiling water for tea, which made it unpleasant and so I tried a coffee. This was lukewarm at best. There was no sauce or ketchup to accompany the cooked breakfast. I wanted to tell the staff about our bad experience when we checked out and ask for a refund - I now know why you pay on arrival! - but as breakfast service had finished the pub doors were locked and although I could see staff inside clearing tables they ignored my knocking on the door. We posted our keys into the box in the unused reception area next to the pub and left, never to return. There is good value and there is cheap. The rooms were cheap. The experience was nasty. Not recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
The-Globe-And-Crown, General Manager at Globe & Crown, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

First of all our sincere apologies for the problem with the lock which has since been looked at replaced.
Unfortunately the request didnt come through to us regarding a ground floor room, however im pleased that was recovered.
The main door is locked, however when guests are going to and fro, the door must have been left open. But on closure all doors are checked for safety reasons.

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us had some faults, however work has undergone and recovered.