“Stretched and Struggling”
Review of The Manor

The Manor
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Attic room dirty and so hot. Down the corridor from unused room with open door which looked like a tip. Very few staff on and looked over stretched. No offer to assist with bags. No enquiry about the quality of my stay.Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Took a photo if hotel management wish to contact me. Could upload but would seriously damage reputat...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 June 2014

On arrival the rooms were not ready, after some waiting we eventually settled in, had to dash out to a pre -. planned event.The room was small but comfortable but very warm, in fact over powering., bed was very comfy, the wardrobe door was stiff and noisy to close, as was the bedroom door. The bar was closed when we arrived back . No shampoo or shower gel only hand wash, luckily i had brought some with me. The shower only worked for about 30 seconds leaving me soaped up with not even a plug to wash off the soap in the bath, i had to resort to kneeling down and splashing the water over me to cleanse. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice, The receptionist was curt, check out was made easy as i had paid on arrival ,

Room Tip: try elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Down here for 4 days on business so had a good chance to give this hotel a good overview and it was close to being a good hotel but there were a few niggles.
Plus points Clean and comfortable
My bedroom at least was an excellent size with a small sofa and a large TV
Breakfast excellent with a good choice of healthy and not so healthy starts to the day
Evening meal generally ok but as with many hotels nowadays the menu has an obsession with Mash with everything and if like me you are not a fan it can be irritating but there are other choices
Location near the town centre
Staff with one exception excellent

Minus points

Well the one member of staff the receptionist who saw me in and out whilst not unpleasant was curt and monosyllabic
No Shampoo in the bathroom,there was liquid soap hand wash and hand cream but no shampoo and as you expect these things I had to go and buy some

However I have booked in again next week so the pluses outweigh the minuses

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

No reception staff on duty on checking in. Waited for ages, no bell on desk to get attention either. Went into the bar to seek help but no staff on duty there also! After waiting a few more minutes a man appeared at the bar and said he would find someone to check us in.

Eventually a staff member arrives at the desk and checks us into Room 4. A hot cell like room with a window so high up the wall that you can't see out of. No air conditioning or fan available. The bathroom was really small and dirty with only a shower that had no shelf/tray to put your washing stuff on. Can you believe it?!! The walls were so thin we could hear everything our neighbour was doing in their bathroom including turning on the extractor fan that sounded like someone was drilling through the wall!! To add to this disturbance there was a loud slamming fire door opposite our room. The only good thing about this room was the really comfortable bed but that was it!

We visited the hotel bar for drinks and food and every single time I visited the bar (4 times) to order something there was no one there.
I had to wait and wait for attention every single time!! On one occasion another guest who had just arrived and was trying to check in came to the bar and said to me " where the hell are the staff in this place?" I told him that we had experienced exactly the same thing trying
to check in too! I'm pleased to say that after managing to actually get someone to take our order for food the service was quick and our food was very good.

Breakfast...... OMG! It happened again. No staff to greet and seat me and two other guests waiting. In the end I got fed up and knocked on the kitchen door to get attention! My full English breakfast was just ok and nothing to rave about but by this time I was p***** off and didn't enjoy it. ( come on manager this staffing issue really needs addressing!!)

I will certainly not be rushing back to stay again. I would much rather stick to the good and reliable Holiday Inn any day!

Sent from my iPhone

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I think this hotel is probably very good if you get one of the better rooms. I stayed in a single and low and behold, the room is tiny, hot and not particularly nice. Its fine for a short night stop like this trip, but any longer and it wouldn't have worked. Hotel is nearly there - nice reception, bar, etc.

Room Tip: Don't go for a single room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We weren't expecting great things from this hotel having read some unfavourable reviews. However, we were pleasantly surprised. There isn't a great choice of hotels in Yeovil so you aren't spoilt for choice anyway.

Yes the rooms are a little tired. But the room we had was a 'Superior' room with a 4 poster bed (which was the noisiest bed we have ever slept in as it creaked all night). There were no real problems. The room was a good size, had good accessories and TV, and had a really nice bathroom. The common areas, the bar, restaurant were all fine. The service was very good.

And for this we paid only £80. The next night we stayed in a De Vere hotel which we didn't like as much as our stay here - and which was more expensive.

I would have liked to give 4 stars but the noisy bed loses one star by itself.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4 poster bed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have been going to the manor regularly for moths now, even treated the misses to a night in one of the great 4poster rooms! We were always looked after by a lovely young man called nick.... Nothing was never too much trouble.. He used to serve us dinner, breakfast, lunch and if we were lucky on the bar! But we decided to come again as we enjoyed the friendly atmosphere... Until this time we came and were greeted by rude waiting staff.. One guy (quite bearded ) wearing a white shirt just walking around doing nothing whilst the other staff were running around.... We guessed a manager of some kind. It took 20 mins to get a drink! Another 20 to order food and another 30 for the food to arrive! Nothing like the fast speedy service we have had perviously.... Food was to usual standard but wasn't asked for another drink or if we were ok... Decided to give a sweet a miss as the same white shirt guy was clanking down cutlery for breakfast... We felt ignored and pushed out and forgotten.... When we asked if nick was working we were told he left.... Such a shame as he brightened up the place... And we won't be coming back ether....

Room Tip: The 4 poster rooms are awsome
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
TDATLEN, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time for writing your review , with out such feedback we would be unable to improve our services.

I am sorry that you found the team wanting on this occasion. It is a very long time since i heard them described as rude, so i am very dissappointed that you found this to be so. The bearded gentleman in a white shirt is indeed a duty manager called Luke . I have passed on your feed back to Luke. I am sure you must have seen Luke before as has been here for sometime? Nick has left for pastures new and was a valued member of the team. But things do change.
Myself and Luke are very sorry to hear of your experiance and that you will not be returning to the Manor. Perhaps you will give us another opportunity in the future,

Kind Regards