“Cheap and nasty”

Price range: US$3 - US$20
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Bell is an attractive large Hungry Horse pub fully refurbished Winter 2013. On the fringe of town, one mile outside Yeovil town centre, the pub is in a quiet suburban area near the Business Park. Like all Hungry Horses we are renowned for serving value for money, delicious food from a main menu with a massive range of dishes to choose from. We have fantastic booth seating in the restaurant for more intimate or family dining. There is something here to suit all ages which, along with the pub's children's facilities, makes the Bell Inn ideal for families. We have a good locals following with customers turning up to have a quiet pint with friends or watch an exciting match on the big screen. Our other sports facilities include a pool table and Sky sports. The bar area is for adults only with a wide choice of drinks. If you are looking for a family friendly pub, a place to relax with a pint or sample a hearty meal, The Bell is just right for you
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I went here with my wife expecting a decent meal. I ordered a lasagne and my wife a curry. My lasagne was disgusting. I literally wouldn't of fed it to my dog. It was just watered down gristle with a layer of (pasta?) and a bit of burnt cheese. The side salad was a soggy lettuce leaf and a bit of cucumber and tomato. My wife's curry was equally disappointing, tasteless rubbish. I would very much recommend that you this place.

Gavin B, General Manager at Bell Inn- Hungry Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you kindly for commenting on our page and raising your concerns with us here at The Bell.

Greene king take great pride in the products the they source for our amazing, diverse menu here at Hungry Horse. We will only stock and sell already certified, great quality products.

I'm sorry if you feel that your meals were below our usual fantastic standards, but please be assured that we only stock great products. I will raise this with our purchasing team in head office also.

If your query was raised with a team member at the time of eating your meal, we would of gladly replaced your meal.

Many thanks,

Gemma,
Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great place to take the kids for a cheep bit of grub and some sun in the garden. Staff were really friendly :) Thanks the bell!

2  Thank Georgina H

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are delighted to have read that you enjoyed your visit with us here at The Bell.

Many thanks,

Gemma
Manager

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was one of our favourite restaurants.. We have been numerous times due to the extensive menu choice, Used to love how they served such tasty american style food and the man/woman vs food styles.. and the portions were always pretty decent.. This is why my husband decided to come here for his birthday, what a disappointment..
We decided to arrive around 3ish on a wednesday afternoon, hoping for a lull and a nice quiet meal.. Firstly it took forever to get our order in as a man had complained, and the lady on the counter decided to get the manager but never returned? apparently they were short staffed, but i still don't feel this is an adequate excuse where your a party of people paying restaurant prices!
Anyways my mum asked if she could have salad with her ribs but apparently you can only have salad when ordering the baked potato, not with chips? but was reassured that it would come with coleslaw, lettice ect, what she actually got was microwaved newked bbq beans and a lettice leaf smacked on top.. her ribs were awful.. they used to leave the ribs whole on a board, but as they decided to chop it 3 times, causing the bones to splinter with little bones throughout, which really put her off.. My sister had the ribs too and had the same problem,, I had the smokin double stack burger, that actually was tasty although bun very overcooked, and ordered it because of a love for onion rings, guess what wasn't put on the burger,, onion rings!
Pudding, my mum ordered warm chocolate brownie with a topper of martian mallow, it came out ice cold with no marshmallows in site.. My pudding also didn't come out as described.
It is all stuff you can complain on at the time and have it sent back twice and wait, its just not what you expect when you go in a lull time and the restaurant weren't even that busy.. but obviously became busy since we didn't leave till 5.30! 2hrs 30mins we were there for, with waiting for service, stuff going wrong and waiting for them to make it right and things not cooked right! I'm not sure i will go back, such a shame though because like i said, it was one of our favourite restaurants, but i definitely wouldn't do it or recommend it for a special occasion because you cannot rely on the service/quality to be there..

2  Thank cals25
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have just been for a meal with my partner and kids. The service was great, plenty for the kids to do. It was clean, good atmosphere and the food was relatively quick even though they were quite busy (especially in the garden). All in all a good experience with a well priced selection of lagers and ciders and good food for the money. Would recommend it and will visit again!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Firstly 10 minutes to get a pint (in an empty bar), but I realise that is what happens when you have 1 barman and 3 waitresses standing by in an empty restaurant, just in case there's a rush on.
I should have realised all wouldn't be good when my starter hit the table before I'd even got back from the bar from ordering it (due to the inept chimpanzee attempting to provide me with a vat receipt).
Still, it was cheap and I feel honoured that they hadn't sold out of rare steaks (although the bread served with the starter could have been fresh and not kept in the freezer/yard/bin for the last 3 days).
Would I eat here again? Either that or I will chew my own arms off, but I'm an engineer and may need those, so under duress and during times of excessive hunger, I may pop in for a bag of crisps.