“New Years Eve!”

Ranked #119 of 183 Restaurants in Yeovil
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“New Years Eve!”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Had a very enjoyable New Years Eve here!
Great music, fantastic atmosphere AND open till the early hours (not that we stayed till 3am!)
The staff, although they were having to work their New Year too, seemed very upbeat and were enjoying the evening.
I take my hat off to bar staff and managers it can't be easy having to work over the festive period!
Looking forward to the next event guys!

Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Everything looks nice but if you look twice you can see it's all lies.”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I was so disappointed with the service and the food I received tonight.

I had recently been here a few times with my partner and the food and staff were lovely on all of these occasions.

We tonight decided to go out for a nice pub meal for new years, expecting the same treatment we had before there, we were all highly mistaken.

We all ordered the steak deal of an 8oz steak and a drink for £7.49, one of our friends had the topping of cheese and bacon and three pots of peppercorn sauce.

I wanted to order the Smirnoff, I assumed it was Smirnoff ice. I asked for one and was told it was vodka and I said I would like one of them with coke. I was then told that I couldn't even have that as it wasn't part of the deal even though it was advertised on the menu? My friend ordered a Strongbow with a little bit of blackcurrant, It was poured without a Nozzle on the pump, but then refused to believe us when we took it back to say it didn't taste of the right standard, we were told that none of the "regular" costumers had complained about it all day.
After failing on having a vodka I ordered a wine that was bitter and sour tasting. The only drinks that came correctly was an Appletise and a glass of coke.

When our food came I was so exited to see what I thought would be a lovely meal like last time being brought out too me, as it got closer I could tell it wasn't the same! When my partner told the waiter that brought us our food that the cheese and bacon was on the 14oz steak and meant to be on the 8oz steak, he got told that he was wrong even though I was stood right next too him making the order and he defiantly said he wanted cheese on on of the 8oz steaks!

I was absolutely appalled by the way our peppercorn sauce was presented to us,it was already pouring out the top with it all stuck too the sides, I was a little concerned to pour it on my food.
I ordered mine medium rare and it came out rare, my partner ordered it rare and it was blue another was over undercooked and the forth was over cooked!!!!
We all decided that we should get our money back and try somewhere else. My partner went to get the refund that the already confirmed we could have, when he returned too the table he then told us that from the £38 he had spent he only got £29 back even though we were promised a full refund, we were told the reason we couldn't have the full price was because of the drinks...Even though they came FREE with our meals?

As we got up too leave we were rudely greeted by a waitress that had obviously heard about the compliant and thought it would be a good idea too take matters into her own hands even though she never even served us throughout the whole time we were there. I was so disgusted by her behaviour I could not believe my eyes! I had already got up and walked away from the table with my friends but my partner was still at the table checking we had picked up all our belongings, I turned around too see if he was okay and I was absolutely mortified by what I saw.

She slammed the chair I had been sat on back under the table and then literally after my boyfriend stood up she snatched the chair from his feet and slammed it under the table just like with the last, she never even cleaned it just followed us as we left. I was so horrified to then see that she was giving us all a stupid sneaky smile as to say "yes there going", I've never been so offended by someone serving me before. It upsets me that people are struggling to find a job and a young girl that thinks its acceptable to hit her customers with chair legs and then smile about it.

I work in a fast food chain restaurant and believe if a fast food establishment can have such high standards of customer service, a local friendly pub should have better customer service than this young lady who I was rudely greeted by.

I must say though I did think that the way the manger "James" coped really well with being told that all our meals were wrong and I appreciated that he did all he could too help us, maybe that young lady needs to watch him do his job more. I am highly offended, horrified and so disgusted by how this girl can continue too keep her job, I will not be coming back here again.

(We visited you're restaurant at around half past 6 and left around 7.15 pm, I would HIGHLY recommend you look at your rota and find what member of staff I am referring to in this report before someone makes a formal complaint about her, her attitude is appalling and her customer service even worse, someone could really do with that job yet that job is filled with this rude "human"!)

3 Thank Jade F
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Honestly Gutted!”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

After going to coopers mill for a steak meal with my partner a few weeks ago, I was looking forward to going back, as the food and service was brilliant!

Unfortunately the service I received today must have been from the relief staff as it was awful!

We entered the pub at 6:30pm and left at 7:20pm

Firstly I tried to take a sour pint of cider back to be told they'd had no complaints all day about the cider so there was nothing they can do!

Secondly, we ordered 4 steaks, all of which came out cooked wrong, the sauce's with our steaks were just chucked in a jug and were all congealed around the edges of the jug. The topping on one steak was on the wrong steak, when I told the waiter but said it wasn't a problem, I was told I was wrong.

I then asked if we could have a full refund, which was fine, and then was told I could only be refunded £29 of the original £38 price due to the drinks and such like, despite the drinks being part of the offer of our meals! (Tuesday steak and a drink for £7.49)

To finish off as we were leaving a young waitress felt it necessary to pull my chair from under me as I was getting up, to then slam it back under the table, catching my leg in the process! Then decided it was professional to give a dirty sneer at us as we left the establishment! (she wasn't even involved in serving us whilst we were there)

Quite frankly I am disgusted with the attitude and service I and my friends received, from the waitress right up to the manager, and I find the volatile attitude from the staff to be quite concerning, threatening as well as aggravating!

I am disappointed that I spent a few weeks passing on good words to family and friends in the local area about the good service we had, I will be sure to re-inform them in due time as I most definitely will not be going back!

If you're looking for a good pub meal, get yourself up to the hungry horse on Preston Road, good cheap food, brilliant service great attitudes! Even with a good 200 people in the building due to it being new years eve, we were treated like royalty!

Coopers Mill would do well sending their staff to The Hungry Horse for dinner, it's nice to not be hit with a chair upon leaving!

4 Thank Kingo123456789
Duras, France
“Brilliant service”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

First visit for us and we enjoyed it very much. The prices are good , the food is pub grub but it arrived in good time, hot and tasty. The wine prices are excellent. The staff were friendly, chatting and on the ball , looking for what was needed and checking everything was ok. The cost would make me want to visit again twice instead of once somewhere else but knowing all the staff are welcoming its the bonus.

• Visited November 2013
MellyPK, Assistant at Coopers Mill, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank You for your glowing review of Coopers Mill.
We are so happy that you enjoyed your visit to us.
As a company, we strive to create a wonderful atmosphere for everyone and knowing we have achieved this really pleases us.
Hope to see you again very soon
WEMBDON
“Not a great Sunday lunch!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Sadly the Sunday lunch was of very disappointing quality. After having waited quite some time for the meal to arrive ( and it wasn't that busy) we eventually asked at the bar to be told our meals were being "plated up". I suspect we had been forgotten as normally someone brings cutlery etc immediately after an order is placed - and this hadn't happened.
The beef roast was poor quality, with over cooked vegetables, stringy beef & a lack of gravy on one of the plates. We asked for more & were brought out a small container & had to wait for this until others had been served.
Overall very disappointing as this is actually a goodish pub with friendly staff, but seems to lack someone in overall control with their finger on the pulse!

• Visited November 2013
MellyPK, Assistant at Coopers Mill, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your review of Coopers Mill last Sunday, we're very sorry your experience wasn't what you expected from us.
In regards to the Beef, we are looking into the issues with this and discussing with our suppliers who are nationally appointed by Greene King.
We will be discussing your further issues with the staff and making sure procedures are followed correctly.
We will be in touch in due course to make you aware of our findings.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.