“A golden place!”

Ranked #7 of 372 Restaurants in Worthing
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went for a special meal with some friends, only went having been recommended. Whole meal was excellent, the waffles were to die for! Family are over from Vietnam soon and this is one place we will take them for a meal to show how well we can actually cook fish in this country! Book and go!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

So I ventured out to the fish factory ravenous, hoping for tasty, classic fish supper right from the seaside. Unfortunately, what was placed before me was not that in the slightest.

To start, Calamari, a copious amount of tough, tire-like squid rings in batter that fell off and held no substance. Aside a few wilted salad leaves. Awful. Calamari should not bounce around the table, the fork could barely penetrate the squid and I had to force it down. Poor taste, portion control and presentation and to top it all off: swimming in grease.

For my main, I was still positive, this proved also to be a folly.

The chips - stale, too thick, unseasoned and obviously from frozen.

The fish - far over cooked, there were black bits in the 'batter'. However it was also soggy and watery, making for a dreadful coating. The fish was cooked to beyond recognition, dry and tasteless and had that potato-like grainy texture that suggested to me that it was, yet again, from frozen.

Along side these factors, there was no presentation, nor seasoning, nor visible effort. The piping hot plate shows me signs of a microwave.

All of these factors display a very sad fact: these Chefs have lost their passion. No effort, no flare, no care. And as if I needed convincing, seeing the chefs 'chilling out' eating and chatting through the kitchen window made it all so clear.

Very, very poor. Oh yes, and all of this for a family of five, over 80 pounds. Who exactly are they catering for?

4  Thank thecopperkid
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have been to the fish factory on a number of occasions, though not in this last year.
It takes something pretty special to make me write a review, and even more do to leave a negative one.
On the up side, the staff were friendly and polite, but you don't go to a restaurant for someone to smile at you, you go for the food.
DONT GO FOR THE FOOD
Calamari like tractor tyres, burned garlic bread, for an example of starters.
The main course fish dishes shouldn't be a problem for a fish restaurant, right?
WRONG
The fish was so overcooked the almost chocolate coloured soggy batter could hardly contain the greasy destroyed frozen fish inside.
The chips were like quartered potatoes, so over cooked, and I suspect repeatedly overheated the shell of them was tough like leather, and they tasted of nothing but grease, leaving a bitter taste behind.
Mushy peas over processed, and also entirely tasteless.
Really really really dreadful food. Awful.
Maybe if the kitchen staff weren't so clearly in view gobbling leftovers and generally pissing about they might have made a better job.
Awards on the wall from 2012? TAKE THEM DOWN.
I did not complain to the staff as it was a family dinner, with my children and parents, as their treat, but if I can save one other person or family from wasting their money, its worth it.
Go to chipwick, or blue ocean, good god, go anywhere, except here.

5  Thank Dissapointed0714
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Very helpful staff, great food.
I have been to the FishFactory on several occasions, the food is always very good and the menu has much to choose from, I have never had a bad meal all the time I have been going, and the staff are very helpful, nothing is too much trouble

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I went to this nice little fish restaurant on the recommendation of my Friend who lives in Worthing.

The place is only small and simply decorated but has a good feel about it, my fiancée and I both love seafood so were impressed with the selection available, my mixed seafood platter was very nice and the skate wing I had for the main very nice too.

I can't remember my fiancées meals but she really enjoyed them.

I normally order the cheese board although I was almost tempted away by the nice desserts that were going past to other tables, I ended up ordering the cheese and to my surprise it was probably the largest pieces of cheese I had ever been served a selection of 3 with biscuits or crackers (however you classify them) ended up taking nearly half of each home with us as they were too nice to waste.

All in all a fab little place and warmly recommended to anyone in the area wanting a casual pescitorial pig out.