“Great staff, good service average food, little parking available”
Review of Kingsway Hotel

Kingsway Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great staff, good service average food, little parking available”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We were visiting Goodwood Revival with our classic car and wanted a reasonable hotel as near as possible. This one had reasonable reviews on Trip advisor so I decided to give it a try. On arrival we found we couldn't park and were told that the local wardens had no mercy! We parked 400yds away in trepidation that the car might be damaged. When we arrived the staff couldn't have been more helpful, both reception and bar staff were first class. Our room was adequate though small, the sea view was terrific, the bathroom was a disaster area, small, pathetic shower, very low water flow even the bath took 20 minutes to fill. Breakfast was adequate but poor quality sausage and cool beans. Check out was easy except the credit card machine didn't work but the receptionist was very reassuring and we were confident all would be well. We left some items in the room by mistake and when I phoned on Monday the receptionist was polite and understanding and promised to send them on by courier. We couldn't fault the standard of service but felt that the hotel was a little tired and would benefit from a refurbishment.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank simon J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I read the reviews on the booking.com website for this hotel (273) and I should have listened to what the majority of people were saying. Unfortunately I did not and went ahead and booked rooms for 5 people to whom I am still apologising! I was not asking for the 'Ritz' and my group certainly didn't get it not by a long long way. The small double room one of my party stayed in (room 44) should never have been 'in service' with paper hanging off the walls and parts of the wood work missing. I have complained to the management who quite frankly just fob you off with excuses, but are still willing to charge full rate and take your hard earned money for very sub standard accommodation. One of their excuses is ongoing refurbishment but if you look at historical reviews they all complain about the state of the rooms - so where is this ongoing refurbishment? It was mayhem in the dining room and one of the waiters was most unpleasant, you felt as if you were an imposition, and the breakfast took up to 45 minutes to appear! I don't know how this hotel has managed to keep its star rating and I will be looking into this but I cannot urge potential customers enough to really think about using this hotel - maybe if your last resort is sleeping rough on the streets of Worthing is your only alternative then maybe give it a go but only if that is your last option. On the only posititive the location is beautiful, right on the sea front but is that enough?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Moira S

Travellers are raving about these Worthing hotels

Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

This hotel was booked by a friend for us for the Brighton Pride weekend and as you do with all hotel i read the reviews once booked and had visions of asking Alex Polizzi to visit.......I couldn't have been more wrong..............the welcome was first class thanks to Alice (amazing customer skills a true credit to the hotel), clean rooms, clean decor, spotless bathroom. Overall a totally amazing stay love it!!..............also LOVE LOVE the chandelier in the dining room very very clever!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank HomerMaude
uk
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Firstly the plus points: good location, lovely sea view from our room, friendly reception staff, spotless sheets and towels.
but........ then come the negatives.
The room decor was a disgrace, the curtain linings were literally in shreds, the room appeared to have been dressed from a box of left overs, the curtains clashed with the pelmet, which clashed with the bedspread which clashed with the border. The decorator must have has problems with his eyesight the wallpapering was so shoddy. You had to unplug the TV to plug the kettle in. Hardly any of the TV channels worked. The bath plug leaked so you had to keep the bathwater running (although it was hot and plentiful). We were supplied with 2 teabags, 2 coffee sachets, and two long life milk pots, so not even enough for a drink before bed and one in the morning, the information folder told us further supplies could be purchased for 20p each. Unbelievable, I have. never come across this before.
I can't comment on the breakfast as make it a point of principle not to book it when hotels add it as an extra charge (but can recommend the Sunny Cafe past the pier at the end of the prom).
The receptionist told us we should have no trouble parking as the builders leave at Friday lunch-time, we thought she meant builders working on the hotel but actually think she meant contractors staying in the hotel and to be honest that was the level of the room (no insult to contractors meant).
The restaurant appeared to have been refurbished but the bar and lounge had the feel of an old peoples home.
This wasn't a bargain basement stay and when people have a weekend away they expect a degree of ambience and comfort, A great shame because the potentials there.
I never thought I would say this but I think we would have been better off in
the Travel Lodge down the road which had equally stunning views (in my mind the only saving grace of the Kingsway)

Room Tip: I wouldn't chose it, but if you do get a sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tracydUk
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel simply to avoid the noise you get in Brighton. I had a disabled lady with me and had to park across the busy main road, she has a lack of mobility and it was a job to get her and luggage to the hotel.
We were on the top floor with a nice seaview only our main window didnt open and the room was over bearingly hot .
We were also disturbed by workman that were guest in the hotel , I did complain about the noise but the staff seemed to lack authority in controlling these guests and I actually witnessed one dropping illegal drugs from his pocket in the hotel bar and a member of staff passing them back to him.
We were disturbed by these guest being drunk and noisy outside in the hotel front until 3am in the morning twice during our stay
The food was ok I feel a little over priced, service was good and the staff polite and friendly
we stayed for 4 night and our stay included breakfast
I also feel they could have been a little more generous with the milk tea and coffee in the bedrooms there was only ever enough for one cup a day, so if you had a drink during the day you couldnt have one before bed. The shower lacked any water power, the bedroom was clean and tidy and cleaned and beds made everyday.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank andreasphotography
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I book this hotel last minute as we had a big party and also needed disabled access.
We got a family room in 2nd floor and my brother in law a double room with sea view on 1st floor .
My room was very old and in much need of renovations , very clean and with good views of the sea .
The other room number 7 has been renovated and it is very beautiful also with excellent views and clean .
The food was nice and good service .
The only downside being the narrow corridors don't suit the wheelchair at all but it's due to the age of the building .
I would like to see the hotel trying to improve on making sure that the customer is given the full information on how accessible this hotel is .
For us was ok ... Because my son is only 14 and he had someone to help him , if you are a disabled person (specially a wheelchair user )travelling alone would make things much more dificult .

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor as majority has been updated ,sea view is beautiful but very noisy a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
kingsway-hotel, assistant manager at Kingsway Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
We thank you for your comments again could you email us at courtney@kingswayhotel-worthing.co.uk with the room number that you stayed in, unfortunately being an old building we do have some narrow corridors that can be difficult for wheelchair users, we do have a disabled access room that most of our disabled regular guests use and are hoping to make this more wheelchair friendly in the near future.
Turkey
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Check in was quick and efficient and the room was a good size facing the sea and with more than adequate facilities. Parking is off road but it is not too difficult to find a free parking space in the evening on the main seafront. All you need to do is make sure you get to your car before the parking charges start in the morning.

This is an old hotel. The floorboards do creak a little and the lift is pretty ancient too but do not let this spoil your stay. The room was clean and tidy and the staff here are very helpful and friendly.

The breakfast was good and I cannot really fault the hotel in terms of value for money. As a business traveller this had everything I needed for a perfect stop over. This was my second stay at this establishment and both have been consistent.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
We are glad you enjoyed your stay on both occasions with us, could you please email us at courtney@kingswayhotel-worthing.co.uk with your room number.