“Absolutely revolting and rude staff”
Review of Kingsway Hotel

and 1 more site!
Kingsway Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
New York City, New York
“Absolutely revolting and rude staff”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The staff were really unprofessional, particularly the woman at breakfast, but in general it was like I was invading their privacy. They were neither courteous or literate.

My room was absolutely filthy. Under the bed there was tumbleweed from all the fluff, the shower handle was draped in long brown hairs, the bath tub full of black pubic hairs. The toilet had a "hygiene seal" taped around it, but there were pubic hairs there too, and stains, and also the window sill above the toilet (the only place to put toilet paper) had pubic hairs on.

The kettle still had water in it, and was also clogged up and filthy. The one place to retrieve water from if you so wished to fill a dirty kettle and make some kind of infusion, was the handwash basin in the toilet, and that was too shallow to enable the kettle to go under the tap. The bath had a glass screen that prevented reaching all the way to the tap with a kettle.

The window didn't close, the bed was stained, the blinds were broken (I fixed them by the way), the TV whistled and there was an infestation of some kind of flying insect, not sure what it was exactly but I was quite disgusted. There were also quite a few stains on the walls from previous swatting.

The walls/doors are so thin...and they let out a double room next to mine, to about 15 rowdy partiers who were all drunk, door slamming and a complete nuisance.

The menu was a joke. I found a restaurant elsewhere.
The breakfast, after being greeted by what seemed to be a young council chav, was also completely unappealing. It was abruptly announced to me that breakfast wouldn't be ready yet, although I was quietly minding my own business checking my e-mails.....making sure I was first in line for caffeine, given the sleepless night before. Well I abandoned that idea, and ate the cookie in my room instead.

Not somewhere that I would ever stay in again. It actually is the most filthy place I've been in, in my life. At least have friendly and attentive staff, that would go some way to (a) caring about the state of the place, (b) making you feel welcome, "arrive a guest, leave as friends"!!!??? and (c) attracting the right sort of customer, and not the room full of druggies I had to endure.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LievenThyssman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I did not stay at the hotel but I did attempt to dine with them. A large group of us were working next door and needed somewhere close by to have dinner. Several weeks before we arrived a colleague met with Matt the manager and arranged for the Kingsway to provide our catering and with a small discount as there were about 20 of us. However, 2 days before we were due to eat with them (all orders placed and price agreed) we were told by the receptionist that Matt had gone away and there would no longer be a discount and they wouldn't be able to provide 2 of the dishes we had ordered. This was very unprofessional and created unnecessary stress for us as we were very busy. Needless to say we went to Cafe napoli (no. 7) round the corner who actually stayed open late for us . Clearly the Kingsway doesn't want to make any money . If I were the manager I would take a stark look out of his window at the recently closed Cavendish hotel. If he doesn't keep his customers happy then I can't imagine he'll be open much longer either. The only reason why I didn't give a 'terrible' rating is because they did allow us to use their toilets when we needed and the receptionist tried her best to give us the deal we originally agreed upon.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank THEPRIOR89

Travellers are raving about these Worthing hotels

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We booked in here as it was the only place near Brighton that could provide secure accommodation for our 8 bicycles overnight, and at a reasonable price. However the bikes were not stored undercover so bring a plastic bag to cover the saddle if it rains.

The receptionist was very helpful and pleasant, and we were given four twin rooms facing onto the sea. The room we were allocated was large, attractively decorated and airy, with high ceilings and a huge bow window giving a great view along the seafront. The single beds were laid out nicely with towels, soaps and shower gel. There was a decent sized TV and tea/coffee making facilities which all worked well enough. We heard no intrusive noise from other rooms. The bed was comfortable and the room a nice temperature, sleep quality good. I did get a bit warm but opened a window to allow some fresh air in. There was quite a wind blowing but I was able to open a window just enough to get some ventilation without a blast of wind!

The bathroom was a bit tatty, a tile was off the wall and the décor a bit tired. The shower was hot though and there was a bath if you wanted it. A refurb cannot be far off.

Breakfast, initially I thought was £9.95 on top of the room charge (we paid £90 a room for 4 twins) and this was not at all clear. After enquiring it was confirmed the room rate included breakfast. We had to ask to order breakfast, the service was a bit hit-and-miss, and when it did arrive it was disappointing. The food looked like it had been cooked a while then maybe get hot until served, and everything was a bit dried up. Still, I plunged in and ate it all, and there was plenty of freshly made toast, juices and a wide choice of cereal. We didn't leave hungry that's for sure.

Overall it was OK and did what it said on the tin but a little more attention to details and a better breakfast would have improved the experience a good deal.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the seafront. Ask about bike storage.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JumpinJackFlash60
Reviewed 8 April 2013

'Arrive as guests, leave as friends' - boasts the brochure. This might be pushing it somewhat. Unless, of course, the person in question normally ignores their friends at breakfast.

Booking the only hotel available at late notice, there wasn't a lot of choice for us in Worthing, and I quite like the antiquated seaside hotel style, which is good fun. The Kingsway is advertised as '3*' which left a question as to why one of the stars on the front had been covered over with black gaffer tape.

For £100, my girlfriend and I had booked a basic double, which upon arrival, we found had been upgraded to a sea-view double, which was all well and good, but I think that would still have been overpriced. Cheap sheets, hole-filled curtains, and general shabbiness were the main detractors, added to the fact that the heating was on full blast on the first mild weekend of the year, giving the sleeping experience something of the 'boil in the bag'.

We can't blame the hotel for the behaviour of the guests on our floor - who enjoyed noisy conversations in the hallway until about 4am - not helped by very un-soundproof doors - and then chain-cigarettes on their balcony, immediately adjacent to our open (see above) window, allowing the smoke to billow in through the holes in the curtains.

No matter, it wasn't an early start, and waking up to a bright morning 50 yards from the sea was revitalising.

Breakfast, however, was the real let-down. We'd paid extra for a full breakfast as part of the booking. Arriving in the (ok) breakfast room about an hour before the end of service, although there were plenty of empty tables, we had to do a bit of mixing and matching to align cutlery and tables, most of which had not been cleared.

A fairly measly 'buffet' selection of rehydrated orange juice and those odd cereal dispensers was first, without a lot else on offer. Nobody had welcomed us, and the lady serving at the tables twice emerged without acknowledging our presence at this point, until eventually we asked her what we had to do to get breakfast.

"Er, yeah?" Came the reply. "Full English?"

"Yes please." (The promised variations on the menu with regard to egg style/beans or tomato were never broached, but we'll let that go)

The breakfast was lukewarm and pretty average, when it came, even notwithstanding a short curly black hair protruding from a piece of wholemeal toast. Solid egg yolks, soggy bacon and tinned mushrooms all testified to food that had been under the heat lamps for some time.

All in all this was an amusing stay which will provide some stories down the line, but £100 a pop makes for expensive anecdotes.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view, because that's the best thing about the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nick E
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business on a freezing, snowy day. Having fought through the worsening weather (the motorways were closed shortly after) I got to the hotel to be informed that the heating wasn't on because "it's on a timer". The receptionist did say she would go and get the maintenance man "out of the pub" to see if he could turn it on. In addition one of the windows was open, with a gale screeching through, and non-operable due to a broken handle.

After a so-so meal the room had warmed only slightly, so socks in bed were required.

In short, avoid, at this price one if the chain hotel/motels would be better value, more consistent and warm! (Thank goodness I wasn't paying!)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Tone001
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Had an emergency stop at the Kingsway this week due to the unforseen snow. Did not eat or stay long, so cannot comment on the food or restaurant.
The room was basic but was fit for purpose and the night clerk was very helpful. I would stay again if needed but would not look upon this as the sort of hotel I would go to with my wife.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew S
kingsway-hotel, ass manager at Kingsway Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
We thank you very kindly for your review and are glad we could accommodate you for your stay
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I got a reasonably good deal on my short stay here, considering it was near Christmas and needed somewhere in a hurry, but I wouldn't have been happy to pay full rate for it.
The room, although single, I knew wouldn't have a sea view, but was advertised as being a view of the 'Downs'. It was a side room and I had a view of the boarded up Hotel next door. There were only 1 or 2 other guests, that I could see, at any time of the day, so I thought maybe someone would upgrade me to a better room. This didn't happen, so I expect it was because of the price I paid. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms, there is in the lounge area downstairs, but the ergonomics forced me to give up! The staff were polite, and room clean, I only ate breakfast so can't comment on the food. The Hotel is well located, right next to the sea, and shops. It is a magnificent old building crying out to be updated, it could be a real money spinner given it's location.

Room Tip: Have a look around at what else is available, if you are staying for a while it maybe worth doing th...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo