“Nice but could do better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kingsway Hotel

Kingsway Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
East Molesey, United Kingdom
“Nice but could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed just for one night after attending a funeral. Although we only saw 3 staff during our visit, receptionist (same one booking in and checking out), breakfast waiter, and handyman, everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

The Room - twin beds, very spacious, lovely views overlooking the sea, has the wow factor, 3 good bay windows to the front and one on the side giving a full view of the beach and the pier. Décor a bit tired, pealing paintwork but nothing a good refurbishment wouldn’t sort out. I can sleep on a clothes line but my wife said the bed was very comfortable and she had a good night sleep. Limited tea, coffee and milk in the room and I had to take the cups to reception because they were dirty but they were changed straight away and we were given extra supplies of tea, coffee and milk.

Bathroom - very clean unfortunately acrylic sink unit is extremely scratched, deep enough to catch your finger nails in which makes it look dirty. Also cigarette burns along the edge of the sink and above the toilet, a throwback to the days of smoking in the rooms - time to replace I think. The water pressure in from the cold sink tap was extremely low just dribbling out so had to be careful not to burn your hands. Unable to take shower due to water pressure as it did not have the force to take it away from taps - the shower is just a mixer tap type at the end of the bath - the bathroom would greatly benefit from a power shower.

Lounge / Bar - obviously recently refurbished to good standards and it is lovely.

Breakfast / Dining Room - clean and tidy, we did not have an evening meal because the service closed rather early so can’t comment, however the breakfast service is quite late so no rush. We both had the full English which was cooked well although the poached egg was a little under cooked for my liking. There is a good selection of cereals and juices but the coffee was a bit stewed until they made a fresh pot. There is no selection of cheese and meats for a true continental breakfast.

Would we stay again - not unless the water pressure was sorted out and at £110.00 per night I think a bit expensive for what it was.

Having said all that if they refurbish the rooms to the same standard as the lounge this could be one to watch.

Room Tip: always book a room overlookig the sea.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kingsway-hotel, asst manager at Kingsway Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
We thank you for your review and would be greatfull if you could assist us by emailing kingswaycomments@hotmail.com with your date of stay and room number so we can look in to your comments further.

Kind regards

Courtney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Long Itchington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Over 25 of us booked in to stay at the Kingsway as part of the Brighton 60's Scooter & Mod weekend, traveling on the Friday and back on the Monday. We chose the hotel due to its beach front location, room availability and price. We weren't disappointed. The staff made us very welcome on arrival, even making the yard at the back of the hotel available for us to park our treasured scooters. The rooms - we had a mix of singles/doubles/sea views and balconies were all clean and well appointed and were cleaned every day. The breakfasts were cooked - cooked, cereals etc, all you'd expect and the bar area stayed open to keep us all happy. When we wanted advice on buses, taxis and places to eat and drink in Worthing they told us all we needed to know and made us all feel very welcome for the 3 nights we were there

Room Tip: We had a room at the front with a sea view which was great the traffic noise wasn't bad at all a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are pleased you had a great stay and thank you for your review.
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We have just stayed at 'The Kingsway Hotel' as part of a big group for the Brighton August Bank Holiday Mod weekend! We spent a fantastic 3 days at this wonderful friendly hotel in Worthing. We arrived to find we had a lovely spacious, very clean sea view room with a balcony, perfect! Also in the room were complimentary toiletries & pint size plastic water glasses! Brilliant idea more hotels should do this instead of the tiny glasses you normally get where one sip & its gone!! We found the staff extremely welcoming & helpful also giving good recommendations on places to eat etc. The full English breakfast was great and was served in a very pleasant & modern sea view dining room & we too enjoyed many drinks in the bar which is open all the time.
The hotel allowed us to park our Scooters in a secure area which was something that was very important to us when we were choosing a hotel and it was perfect! All in all it was a great stay & now we know it is also 'Pet Friendly' we are looking forward to returning very soon with our Dobermann 'Toby'.
A massive Thank you to Matt, the Manager & his team for a top weekend!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are pleased you had a great stay and thank you for your review.
Cambridgeshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed one night only, The room was dangerous. The window could only be shut properly by leaning right out and grabbing the only handle, the other was missing, thus risking a fall from a third floor room. The bath surround had jagged edges and rust on the bottom of the bath. The window blind was falling apart and there was no curtains.
The full english breakfast was OK and did not disappoint so that nearly made up for a poor nights sleep disturbed by seagulls and plumbing noises and glass being emptied in a skip.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the back
1 Thank yellowolf

Travellers are raving about these Worthing hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

we stayed in the damp room had to wait for room to be cleaned 20 mins, foreign waiter should not be here horrible man.Wrong breakfast twice no offer of coffee or tea.will try not to ever go back here .

Room Tip: Don't Bother
1 Thank Dave M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I don't normally complain but my stay here was appalling firstly when I arrived had to wait 10 minutes to check in as the receptionist was in the phone

I was then also informed that the there was no wifi in the rooms unlike what was stated when I booked the hotel as a business guest wifi is important I was tol I could get it downstairs but there later proved to be none down there either

Once I found the room as no instructions where given it was like the cubboard under the stairs the blinds where broken the room dated they had however seemed to have upgraded the bathroom and toilet however upon having a bath I found lots of long brown hair already in the bath the taps didn't work so had to fill using shower head whilst I was enjoying my bath I heard someone shout on my god which was followed 5 mins later with the receptionist in interrupting my bath stating it was leaking through the ceiling below I had not flooded the room as she was implying.

I decided to go out for dinner as was embarrassed however on return I used the toilet to find a had next to no toilet roll and no spare

I tried to sleep but the room was far to hot and the pillows so uncomfortable

Next morning I was treated like an idiot at breakfast and informed I would have to pay extra for it even though they said it was included when I checked in I was also quizzed during breakfast about the bath incident the night before in front of other guests

I booked here as I had previously stayed at the Burlington and wasn't overly impressed however next time I think I will return to the Burlington

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Bananamanairsoft
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Have just spent an enjoyable weekend at this hotel. We stayed in the Townhouse annex behind the hotel. Good sized room and clean, very comfortable beds,
Staff were very helpful and freindly and nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast was okay but quite expensive as didnt want to have the full english fry up, but it looked acceptable on other peoples plates.
Coffee and tea and milk were replenished if we ran out by reception.
The location is excellent right oppisite the sea, worthing town centre a short walk away.
Having stayed in brighton,worthing is a lot more peaceful.
I am amazed how many negative reviews are on trip advisor about this hotel.
We feel what we paid for our stay was totally acceptable and were very happy.
But we stayed in the kingsway hotel townhouse annex which was very quiet and not having a sea view didnt bother us at all.so maybe things are different in the main hotel.
The lady on reception told us that they do get complaints about the windows, but the hotel is a listed building and they have to deal with regulations set by the local council.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends