“Pleasant experience and good value for money.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chatsworth Hotel

Chatsworth Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
LINCOLNSHIRE
“Pleasant experience and good value for money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Big , old-fashioned hotel but very welcoming. Room was excellent only let down a little by a moderate shower with a screen needing a new rubber so it didn't swing open too easily allowing water to soak the floor.
Some folk felt meals were a little skimpy. Maybe it's because they've become accustomed to the overladen plates so common nowadays. I felt that enough was as good as a feast. Forgetting amount there could be little doubt about the quality and variety. Breakfast with four varieties of nut, yoghurt, prunes, grapefruit to make your own starters was particularly good.
We were on a bus trip and for anyone without transport the bus running from outside the hotel every ten minutes from Portsmouth to Brighton and stopping a lots of little town between is a wonderful service.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VICTRO3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Booked the hotel for an overnight business trip before reading TA reviews and was then regretting my decision, how wrong I was!
This is a great, quaint seaside hotel. Best to describe it as faded splendour. Yes it's old and the decor is not modern boutique style but its clean and tidy with traditional hotel service.
Didn't experience the restaurant but well done Chatsworth House

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Mike G
Watchet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

The Chatsworth's heyday was probably in the 50's to 70's when the nation spent summers at the seaside. It has a tired feel, like a once beautiful woman who is trying very hard to retain the shreds of her allure.

I paid £42 50 for a single room and breakfast. I trailed my bag down a corridor with dissonant colours between wall and floor to find a room with a red floral pattern carpet which clashed with the pale tangerine curtains and bed spreads. The television was a postage stamp in the corner and I turned off the radiator as I feared I had no chance of sleep in the stuffy room.

Eight hours later I awoke amazed at the experience of waking up in a comfortable bed properly rested and ready for my meetings. My newspaper was under the door and the shower excellent, and as hot as i wanted. Breakfast was a treat, everything was fresh and cooked to order, if I had to find a smidgen of fault I might suggest the coffee could have been stronger.

The reception staff, the waiters , every staff member I met was efficient, well mannered and knew their role. They all smiled a lot.

If I ever have to visit Worthing again, I will probably stay there because the only thing that matters when I am staying in a different hotel day after day is the quality of sleep, the efficiency of the staff and that the food is well cooked and presented. At that price it was a steal.

However I wish the management would consider refurbing to retain the cosy sense of a seaside hotel but lose the feeling of tacky B and B which relates to the lousy choices of colours and patterns in the rooms I saw.

Room Tip: Close your eyes to the decor unless you like shabby and enjoy the bed!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Sam W
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

77 of us stayed in this hotel in November, 2012 and everyone agreed that it was an excellent experience. All the staff were very friendly and helpful both in reception and in the restaurant. The food was good and very well organised. Altogether a good weekend.

Room Tip: If you want a view then ask for a front facing room
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tessa T
Worthing, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Sorry but all I can say is this hotel is pretty bad compared to others, I stayed here over Christmas period because it’s the only hotel local to my parents I can find that’s open, in my job I travel a lot so I stay at plenty of hotels, in fact on this three week trip I have stayed at seven hotels, two in Worthing, two in London, one in Brighton, one in Hong Kong and one in Paris, so I think I’m in a pretty good position to judge what’s good and what’s bad.

Facts

Expensive - This hotel is not cheap, it’s a three star hotel stuck in the 1970’s. I paid £115 per night but some other elderly people told me they had paid £240 per person per night including breakfast lunch and dinner, now I could understand this if it’s top quality, but I’m sorry it’s not, I heard a lot of elderly people complaining and I totally see why!

Small rooms – The room I was given was a double, it’s a joke I’ve have had bigger single rooms, I think the bed was 4ft wide so small, the rooms are decorated in an old fashion style, artex on the walls, I’ve not seen since the 70’s, the bedding looked dirty, stains on the pillow cases and duvet cover, the carpet was beige and looked like it’s not been cleaned for a long time, the room was very hot even thought are heating was off, you can’t open the window more than a few inches and you don’t want to because the road noise is so loud, it’s right on the main street near the bus station.

Sleep Quality – Very poor, too hot, too noisy, small bed, at the end of the day I just needed the room to sleep, other things don’t matter, this room scores one of of ten for sleep quality, both me and my girlfriend felt tired all day, because we failed to sleep well!

Breakfast – The choice is so small, go look at the Aldington Hotel opposite and you’ll see how a breakfast should be done.

This hotel targets elderly people as its clients and in my view charges them a lot, the quality is missing, the pay a lot of money they deserve better, just because they are old does not mean you can charge them a fortune for poor quality.

This hotel needs to get out of its comfort zone and going and see what the competition are doing, this hotel is stuck in the 70’s, my cousin also stated here before Christmas and her view was exactly the same as me

My advice book a premium room at the Aldington opposite, 100 times better and it’s cheaper! I would be there now If only it was open over Christmas

I would never stay at this hotel again, I would rather sleep on my relatives floor than here!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel, one opposite is better!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank KeepFitChris
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us.

The rate that you paid- £115.00 per room , per night , inclusive of Bed and Full English Breakfast is very competitive with similar local three star hotels. As it is you were upgraded free of charge to a Garden View Room which would normally be more expensive.

We do not charge people £240.00 per person per night to stay with us over Christrmas! Our very popular Christmas 2012 programme was only £129.00 per person, per night for a 5 night break or £142.50 per person, per night for a 4 night break. This rate included Full Board with a Full Entertainment Programme. We received many compliments as usual for our popular Christmas Package and have many regular guests who return every year due to personal service that we provide.

Our standard sized rooms are decorated in a traditional style in keeping with the hotel. All of our beds are a standard size. We do not have duvets in our bedrooms. Our bedding and carpets are cleaned regularly. Many of our bedrooms have the advantage of air conditioning if you felt the road was too noisy for the window to be open.

We offer a wide selection for the following for our daily breakfast ;
Continental Breakfast: Chilled Fruit Juices - Orange, Grapefruit, Tomato, Grapefruit Segments,Stewed Prunes, Fresh Fruit Salad, Cereals - Rice Crispies, Cornflakes, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, Branflakes, All-bran, Muesli, Frosties, Granary Toast, White Toast, Butter & Preserves - Jams, Marmalade, Honey, Marmite, Tea, Coffee, Herbal Infusions
or our Full English Breakfast: Warmed White or Granary Rolls, Warmed Croissants, Porridge, Poached, Boiled, Scrambled, Fried Eggs, Bacon, Sausages, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Cold Baked Ham.
We have won a Visit England Breakfast Award for which we are very proud.

We do have a large customer base of elderly people who stay with us as we are a very popular destination for coach companies who regularly bring groups to us. We do not appreciate suggestions that we charge extra to the elderly. We are very proud of the high service that we provide our guests.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I arrived just fore Christmas and the was a lovely welcome from reception, no hint of any stress, and a nice shuttle scent of mulled wine. The decorations were tasteful, and the staff polite, helpful and efficient checking me in.
My room was very clean, and warm, it was freezing outside when I arrived so felt relieved to be in my room. Nice facilities in room, and efficient discreet housekeeping.

I ate once or twice in the restaurant, I don't eat meat, but there was plenty to choose from and it was excellent, there isn't always an abundance of choice for vegetarians, but this was good, usually just risotto!!

The Hotel is in a perfect location as it is next to the sea, and very close to shops, I could keep going back and forth to do Christmas shopping, really was an advantage, as the streets were packed.

I booked this room early, and got a very good deal, I was delighted with this Hotel, and will return again if I am in this area again.

Full on free Wi-Fi, in the Hotel room, really appreciated, and an absolute must have for travelling.

Room Tip: This Hotel is on the sea from but facing sideways, it would be an idea if you wanted to be in sea vi...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Troubadour04
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at Chatsworth Hotel recently with friends for a weekend break. It would be unreasonable to say that we did not have an acceptable time but our experience is very similar to other guests and reading the managements responses the onus is clearly upon potential guests to stipulate requirements upon booking. That the rooms apparently accord to Visit England 3 star hotel accreditation does not change the fact that they ARE small. The rooms particularly, are indeed very hot even when the radiator is turned off, so ask for one with air conditioning and double glazing. Quite how heavy a sleeper you need to be to have a good night in one of the front rooms overlooking the gardens (and the road!) with the window open is very debatable! The decoration is indeed "traditional style", I would prefer the word "dated" and I do not mean "Georgian". Oh yes, make sure that you ask for a room with a power shower. The food is not going to win any prizes but a reasonable choice is given, is well presented and wholesome. Having said that the fried fish was excellent. Overall we received what we paid for, the staff were all very pleasant but I think that the lower room charge is made up for by the bar prices. If we agree on re-visiting Worthing next year we will try another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest and most recently decorated room overlooking the gardens with double glazing, ai...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mr_Meldrew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worthing
Premier Inn Worthing Seafront Hotel
Grand Victorian Hotel
#10 of 11 in Worthing
The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant
Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel

Been to Chatsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!