“Great location, in need of updating”
Review of Chatsworth Hotel

Chatsworth Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
UK
“Great location, in need of updating”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here for a wedding and would probably not stay again. Certainly not until they have a revamp.

The price was quite high, there was a wedding booking discount which made it a more reasonable rate but if you were booking at the standard rate I think you would be very disappointed.

Booking in the first place was difficult. Phoning up and quoting the wedding details seemed very difficult for the staff to comprehend. I found out that many other people in the wedding part had similar difficulties in booking.

The building looks great from the outside but is not so good on the inside. The floors are uneven, some doors do not fit at all well. Generally the place looks dated. You could say qwerky if you were being kind.

Breakfast was ok. Good selection from the buffet table, average full english.

Parking is difficult in the immediate area, you can drop off outside but getting a space close by is near impossible. They have a deal with the local multistory for discounted parking but that can still add a significant amount to your stay if you are stopping for multiple days.

Best thing in my opinion was location. Close to the main town, the sea front and pier.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jimmyt7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Lymington
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Such a shame that a grand old building like this has not been cared for and brought up to date. I am not suggesting you change the character or alter some of the original design features but a lick of paint, new carpets, new beds/furniture and new bathrooms would be a great leap forward into this century! I stayed here for a few nights on business, found the staff helpful and the dining area for breakfast pleasant but anything beyond that in terms of positives would be hard to find.
The noisy bus depot at the rear of the hotel is not helped with the lack of acoustic control both via the old windows and what can only be described as the thinnest hotel walls I have ever experienced. I tended to keep my socks on in my room as the carpet was in very poor condition as was the flooring in the bathroom, things didn't improve much in the hallways or the stairwells.
If I had paid out of my own pocket to stay here I would have been very dissapointed and definitely changed hotels, however from what I could see the choice in Worthing is limited and standards appear similar to those of the Chatsworth.
Shame, this place has potential to be a decent hotel once again but it seriously needs a birthday first!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Potton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I am so blessed that my client's travel agency favours the local Best Western Hotel over other mainstream offerings.

The Chatsworth is no exception to the sad and sorry places I have stayed recently. Shockingly bad decor, noisy rooms because they don't have double-glazing. Mattresses which should have found their way to a local tip years ago, pillows which re-define the concept of a bad night's sleep.

The decor of CH is puke-peach EVERYWHERE! Don't be fooled by the 90's decor of the lobbby or bar, all the corridors are artexed and the painted with this hideous colour. The rooms are all circa 1980-something and my mattress in room 216 was a vintage classic.

The staff are all excellent, positive, welcoming and helpful. They are this property's saving grace and what a shame their energy and efforts aren't matched by the fabric of the property.

The breakfasts are OK. My dinner was simply awful: French Onion soup which looked and tasted like Bisto, Vegetable Risotto which can't have been made with any stock - even the addition of liberal amounts of Parmesan made no difference to the bland porridge I was served. The ice-creams tasted on nothing despite being 3 different flavours. The service was, as ever, friendly, efficient and personable.

Are you desperate, then stay here, I had no choice. If I was allowed to exercise any choice I would head for the nearest Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express or decent B&B.

You have been warned.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Corporatedrama
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I recently stayed here for a night prior to holding a family gathering/meal in one of the hotel's function rooms. The hotel itself is located right on the sea front, close to the pier. The facilities are excellent - a well stocked bar and a large games room in the basement as well as a large restaurant. The room was magnificent - four poster bed, sofa, desk etc. along with all the usual things you would expect and a large bay window looking out to sea. Breakfast was superb - help yourself to "starters" from the buffet followed by a full English breakfast.

As for the function the following day, the hotel made all the arrangements on my behalf down to ordering the flowers for the tables. Their organisation of the whole event was second to none. The very professional staff ensured that the event was highly successful - I could not fault anything.

So, in summary, I can recommend the Chatsworth Hotel without reservation whether for just accommodation or for any kind of large function.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a sea view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan W
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a good old fashion seaside hotel for what I paid.
The cooked breakfast is a bit small, the rooms are a bit dated and the night staff a bit old school, but something about this place is very charming.

Try and get the park view rooms with a view of the seafront.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rey-Latorre
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hotel was very good and nicely located. The décor may seem dated but I found very relaxing, all the staff I had contact with were very pleasant, and the room was a good size, I only had breakfast the four nights I stayed which I found very good.And I would certainly stop there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Raymond P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I joined my family for breakfast at the Chatsworth as pretty much the whole clan were staying here. I stayed at the Travelodge, but that's another story...

Gutted that I didn't spend the extra 30 quid for a room here - everything was very nice, and everyone seemed very well rested, if somewhat hungover!

Breakfast itself was fantastic and the staff dealt admirably with an almost overwhelming demand for fry-ups!

Nice location, too. To look at the green square you could almost forget you're in a washed up seaside resort...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family