“A sleepless night”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
London, United Kingdom
“A sleepless night”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We decided to stay in the Chatsworth due to it's proximity to Worthing esplanade, the pier, and the hotels fairly grand exterior. We enquired as to what rooms were available, and were told by the disinterested receptionist we could be offered was a double at the rear of the building for £100 which we foolishly accepted.

The hotel interior is like the inside of a an old-folks home - I appreciate it is an old building, but this seems be due to a lack of renovation rather than retaining the period feel. The bedroom was absolutely tiny and felt very oppressive - again extremely old fashioned decor. It seemed clean on the surface, but closer inspection found net curtains with holes in them, and torn bedding. The room looked over the bus station which as active from the early hours of the morning until late at night. There was no window in the bedroom, but a french door to a small terrace (complete with cigarette butts overlooking the bus garage), which was totally impractical - the room seemed to have absolutely no ventilation and was roasting through the night.

The bed was a very small double, and extremely uncomfortable. The mattress was thin, saggy and dipped in the middle with the springs poking into backs. This combined with the bed in our (and our neighbour's rooms) squeaking loudly every time we moved, with squeaky floorboards in every corner of the room, we woke up absolutely shattered!

Breakfast was served in the large restaurant which felt more spacious than any other area of the hotel. Despite being fairly empty, we were sat at a table in the far corner of the room (complete with dead flowers), with tables by the windows overlooking the gardens being free - maybe because we were not from a tour group?. It was a fairly unimpressive effort - continental offerings of croissants and cereals on offer at a buffet table, and hot 'full english' breakfasts ordered. It was hot, and reasonably portioned. Waiting staff seemed friendly, but were inefficient and simple breakfast requests not being followed through.

Early check out at 10.30am - how this hotel gained 3star status I will never know. Stayed in a stunning hotel down the road on the coast which had every facility you could wish for, with magnificent rooms (that were £12 more expensive than this place). The Chatsworth Hotel demonstrates very clearly why the British Seaside holiday is in decline, with Hotel's like this charging disproportionate rates in relation to rooms and impersonal service. Disappointing!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jinglis84
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment with the first phase of all of our sea view rooms completed this week.

All of our bedrooms are slightly different in size due to the building being listed which we are unable to change, however they are of an adequate size and we do not usually receive complaints relating to this.

I am sorry that you found holes in the net curtains, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we have now renewed them. Our Housekeepers do take the utmost care when servicing the rooms, I do apologise if there was a hole in the linen.

Due to the location of the hotel being in a town centre, some guests do experience problems with noise, if you are light sleepers then we normally recommend a room on a higher floor. Many of our rooms are also secondary glazed. We also have many rooms with air conditioning which we allocate if you specifically request this.

We regularly turn our mattresses and unfortunately the floor boards do creak in certain parts of the hotel, again due to its age- in 2007 we celebrated 200 years!

I am sorry to hear that we did not seat you at one of our garden view tables in our restaurant for breakfast. It is not the case that we only seat our group guests at these tables. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food at breakfast.

A 10.30 check-out is quite common in many hotels, however we do offer a late check-out service or early check-in service if requested. I was very surprised at your comment regarding our 3* status as we have only recently been inspected as we are on a yearly basis by Visit England for which we passed with flying colours.

Our hotel tariff is very competitively priced with similar hotels in the area. I am sorry that you felt disappointed regarding impersonal service. The hotel has been in the same family for over 3 generations and prides itself on a personal service treating guests as family, this is shown by the amount of repeat guests that stay with us.

If you had have mentioned any of these problems at the time, we would have rectified them immediately.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed for one night here and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The breakfast was lovely, staff were polite and friendly, room was tidy & clean, bathroom spotless. Tea/coffee making facilities were fine, TV worked ok, no problems at all. Coupled with being a stones throw from the sea this hotel has a lot to offer, with loads of restaurants and shops close by as well, so I dont understand some of the negative reviews written here. We had a front facing room which overlooked a park/gardens and yes there was some noise from cars and people but that's only to be expected with a hotel in the middle of a busy seaside town. I have no complaints at all and am looking at future dates to take my Mum back for a weekend break by the Sea. She can shop and sit on the Prom and then a very short walk to the hotel, perfect.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one as front rooms overlook a park and the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen G
Kent
Reviewed 15 March 2014

On check-in the reception staff were very rude and unwelcoming. Room quite small, very noisy, especially at night and tea and coffee supplies very limited and shelf quite dangerous, sticking out of the wall. The food was very mediocre with little choice, eg fruit salad on menu every evening for desert. There was never an iced cream choice.
On arrival, I asked for a 'table for 2' which I had previously requested, only to be told there were none available. There were many tables situated by the windows for 2, but my feelings were because we were part of a 'coach party' we were second class and not given any preferential treatment that 'private' guests would have had. The restaurant manager was also very vocal to his staff and would point out mistakes in front of guests. Surely, this should have been done in a quieter manner. This, of course, showed him up, rather than the staff. He was also very off-hand and dismissive not admitting when he had made a mistake himself. There was only entertainment on two nights and the bar staff were not fully trained in the duties. The room maid was very good in her administering of clean towels and toiletries. All in all, I would not give this hotel a second chance and cannot understand how they warrant 3* status. I have stayed in hotels with less stars and received better service.

Room Tip: I cannot think where it would be quieter as there is a bus station at the back of the hotel. If you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank happytravellers2310
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us when you visited us as part of a coach group. We pride ourselves on our high quality of service, which is why we have so many repeat coach parties staying with us.

Our daily table d'hote menu for group guests always offers a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains (fish, meat and vegetarian) and 3 desserts, I am sorry if you felt this choice was not sufficient. We always serve ice cream on request as an alternative if a guest does not fancy any of the choices offered.

We never treat our group guests as 'second class' and in fact we offer complimentary supplements to our group guests eg Tea and Coffee and Live Entertainment.

I am sorry that you felt our Restaurant Manager was very vocal in his manner. All of our bar staff are fully trained to a satisfactory level.

I was very surprised at your comment regarding our 3* status as we have only recently been re-inspected as we are on a yearly basis by Visit England for which we passed with flying colours.

Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Comfortable room with good bathroom facilities and excellent breakfast. So good to still have food cooked to order and not have it sitting on a hot buffet. Very friendly reception and dining room staff, what more can you ask for!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I felt very at home at the Chatsworth. I was one of a large party for an event, and found the staff helpful and polite. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. There is wifi in the rooms. The hotel is in a pleasant situation, next to an attractive square on one side, and facing the sea on another, and central to the town. Catering for our large group was budget and basic but I thought it was fine and I had a couple of very nice starters.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TinaCake
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel recently and hated every minute of it. The family room was 165 so not cheap and had no view and, whilst clean, was so outdated decor-wise that we found it hard to not constantly be distracted by it. If you want contemporary and modern do Not go to this hotel. The breakfast was diabolical too. We Ran out of the hotel upon check out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LadyJEMM
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014

The rates that we offer to guests are the best available rate at the time of booking depending on availability, the date that you stayed with us we were very busy and our best available rate for a family room with 2 adults and 3 children was £165.00. If we had not been so busy then the room would have been available for as little as £110.00. All of our rates are competitively priced with similar three star hotels within the area. The hotels decor is a traditional style which is very popular with many of our guests.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast, if this had been mentioned at the time or upon check out when we ask all of our guests if they have enjoyed their stay with us, then we would have rectified the problem.

Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is my second review of this lovely hotel!-I visit it on Bridge weekends!The staff are wonderful,the lounge is cosy(with welcoming gas fire),the food is superb and the bedrooms are mostly super,but do ask for a room with a view! The parking is easy-just get tokens from reception.-You are on the front so you can enjoy beach walks-Heaven!!
It just is a warm and welcoming hotel and I love it!

Room Tip: I prefer over looking Steyne Gardens-you can see the sea too