Chatsworth Hotel
US$181
Windsor Hotel(Worthing)(Great Value!)
US$94
Travelocity
Premier Inn Worthing Seafront Hotel(Worthing)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$91
Travelodge
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Littlehampton Hotel(East Preston)(Great Value!)
US$108
PremierInn.com
All reviewsgames roomcoach tripcoach partiesthird floorsteyne gardenssea fronttraditional hotelsea viewwaiting staffrestaurant stafftown centrebit datedlong weekendtwin roomfour poster bedfull englishstreet parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Absolutely pants hotel frankly, they should lose a star or even two! I've stayed in a few four star hotels in Spain, Mexico, and America and attended hotel and catering school, therefore, I know absolutely nothing about the hospitality industry.

Upon check in, when asking for the safe to deposit my passports and extra cash they looked at me a bit funny and provided an antiquated sealed bag system; no big deal here, but we're just getting started. I booked a single room months in advance but since the hotel was full up I get a family room with bunks no extra charge but weird. There is an iron burn in the floor but no iron to be found anywhere. The trouser press works at least but what about my smart shirt: never mind.

The décor looks like it has not been updated since Queen Victoria's day, and although I do enjoy a touch of nostalgia when I'm paying over 100 GBP, I want it to be clean and smart to look at. I will say a kind word so you can see I'm not a monster troll who lives in the internet just to slag off poor unsuspecting lodgings. Shower was very nice and water pressure was good and the sheets were clean and smelled nice.

Moving on to breakfast; day one we had to queue in order to be seated although there was another room that had tables and chairs in it not made up. Fair enough if there are not enough staff members and too many guests but there were several of them milling about trying to look busy until the queue started. Qualify of food was fair, but absolutely forgettable. Day two, I received a cheerful good morning but was made to wait twenty minutes before the girl came over to take my order. I was only having weatabix and juice so it was fine, but come on!

Now for the reason I decided to write this review that will be lost in the annals of Qype/Yelp, but here goes. Checking out of the hotel there was a deluge in the street, a proper storm, and so I asked the front desk to ring me a cab. The manager informed me that there were only two cab companies in town, a boldface lie mind you, as I now know after some research that there are at least five!

I will review a very nice bed and breakfast that I stayed at just to prove I'm not always a miserable sod. If you managed to her through this review, found it helpful (or hideous) please leave a comment. Thank you very much and all the best!

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Lobsterollsforever
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review from which I am sorry to hear that you felt that your stay was not entirely satisfactory.

As we do not have in-room safes, we offer a service whereby guests may leave any valuables in a ‘Keepsafe Valuables Bag’ which we lock in the hotel safe. I’m sorry you felt that this was an ‘antiquated system’. Many hotels offer this service to their guests.

If our standard room types are fully booked, we do upgrade guests to one of our larger family rooms. The room comprises of a double bed, a single bed and a pair of bunk beds in an annexe room. The room is much more spacious than a standard room. I am sorry that you felt that this was ‘weird’ as we do find that most of our guests appreciate a free upgrade.

We do provide irons and ironing boards in guest bedrooms, if you had telephoned Reception, we would have delivered one to your room. This and all of our guest amenitites are listed in the guest compendiums in every room.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the cleanliness of the room. I am sorry that our traditional style was not entirely to your liking. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment with the first phase of all of our sea view rooms completed.

I am sorry that you had to wait to be seated for breakfast and to be served, this is a very unusual situation as we try not to keep our guests waiting at all.

I am sorry that you were mis-informed as to how many taxi services operate in Worthing, we regualrly use several different companies to arrange taxis for guests.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

One of Worthings better known establishments in a lovely position overlooking the Steyne Gardens. Stayed here October 2013 in one of the rooms with a sea view-vey nice!!

OK, yes the hotel is old but gains a lot of character and charm as a result of this and in fact makes a stay quite a quaint experience!!

Breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the gardens was a pleasant affair also.

All in all a good experience!!

Room Tip: Paying extra for a sea or garden view is advised!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stay regularly in hotels in UK and abroad but the room in this hotel (349) was truly dreadful. As other reviewers have confirmed the hotel rooms are in desperate need of a refurb so we knew what to expect. However it was much worse than that. Tired decor I can cope with - dirty rooms are however not acceptable. I will post photos to accompany this review but the issues we had with cleanliness in the room were as follows:-

Heavily stained carpet
Large food stain (or possibly blood) on wall
Mouldy bathroom surrounds
There was some sort of insect in the brown blanket on the bed.

The floor in the room was also on a slope - quite significant and probably dropped by a foot from one side to the other. The bed as a consequence was very uncomfortable.

Breakfast was however good and the waiting staff friendly unlike the reception staff who didn't ask whether the stay was ok when we checked out. I suspect knowing the room we were allocating in they knew what the answer was!

We paid £80 for the room so expensive given the poor quality. I couldn't recommend at all which is a shame given the great location.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank BrightonSeagullfan

With regards to the décor of the hotel, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment with the first phase of all of our sea view rooms completed.

Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room. Our housekeepers operate a very high standard of cleaning and if any of these matters had been brought to our attention at the time we could have investigated them and rectified them immediately. The room has recently been inspected for any problems and none of the items stated are visible with regard to you comments.

I am sorry that you felt that the slope in your room was uncomfortable, unfortunately a few of our rooms do have slight slopes due to the fact that the hotel is a listed building and we are therefore obvioulsy restricted with regards to any alterations to the fabric of the building.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding breakfast.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed for 3 nights on 7/8/9 July 2014 and had a truly happy experience.Reception was prompt and welcoming,my room comfortable and decorated in a pleasing maple and magnolia scheme.The cocktail bar was cosy and in the event of being temporarily unmanned service could be called for at reception.Entertainment was laid on for my first 2 nights and as an 82 year old solo traveller I was made to feel wanted and liked by both artistes in charge of the music and dance.This is my life-blood and it is what I came to this old-fashioned hotel to find.A generous cooked breakfast was served at table overlooking Steyne Gardens in full bloom.If I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find something to moan about I can only say that one tiny bottle of shampoo had to serve for my ablutions for 3 days..LOL!

Room Tip: I would gladly have paid a premium for a view of Steyne Gardens/sea
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank leonard421
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at the Chatsworth for one night with my wife on 5th July for a wedding reception and I don't think that it was worth the money we paid. The room was small and it was very hot but the window could only be opened a small amount. The room decoration was poor, the furniture looked like it had not been replaced since the 60s and the bed cover was torn and stained. Our daughter had a room near by that had a hole in the wall and a light switch hanging loose from the wall. The carpets generally around the hotel were worn out and the dance floor in the wedding area was falling apart. The bar in the evening closed at 11pm and in the morning when we were getting ready to leave someone came to clean the room so you felt like you were being pushed out early.
I would not stay there again I think the Hotel needs a complete refurb to bring it up to a decent standard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Deltel

With regards to the price that you paid, our tariffs are competitvely priced with similar three star hotels in the area. Our rooms are all of a standard size, apart from our larger sea view rooms which are more spacious.

I am sorry that you found the room to be a little hot, we do have air conditioning in many of our rooms, if you had brought the matter to our attention at the time then we would have been happy to move you to a room with air conditioning, subject to availability.

With regards to how old you felt that the furniture looked, the room that you stayed in was refurbished in 2003. If you had brought any matter with regards to the bed linen to our attention we would have immediately rectified it.

Our housekeeping team regularly report any room defects, which are then rectified by our maintenance team as soon as possible. We are sorry that your daughter was not entirely happy with her room.

Our dance floor has been recently inspected and no defects were reported.

Our check-out time is by 10.30am, if you have not vacated the room by this time, then our policy is to enquire as to what time you are planning on leaving, afer this our intention certainly would not have been to make you feel that we were pushing you out of the hotel.