“very good experience”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“very good experience”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just returned from staying at "The Chatsworth Hotel Worthing",all the staff were were friendly,polite and offered prompt service.
Our room was excellent and no issues at all with cleanliness.My husband was taken ill while staying here and they were so helpful and could'nt do enough for us.The food was good with prompt service from the dining room staff.A very good experience.

Room Tip: we were in room 218 and it had air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We made a last minute booking for 2 rooms at this hotel.

It is so bad it is laughable.It is expensive and awful. Don't risk the lifts.

The public areas have the charm of 1970's guest houses and the rooms are not good.

we had one room on 2 nd floor which had a floor so sloping my teenage son fell over getting out of bed in the night.

For decor think artex ceiling and naff old people's home.

our room had been refurbished in the DFS style but retained the NHS 1980's bathroom with the noisest shower pump I have ever heard. Air conditioning not working.

The dining room is embarrassingly bad. The staff are young, inexperienced and not impressive. The whole place is depressing to visit.

the only high light was the young manager who knocked £70 off the bill as it was so bad.

Room Tip: The facade is beautiful Georgian and there are sea views but the place needs ripping apart and start...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank John B
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us.

I do not understand your statement regarding our lifts? They are both serviced reguarly and very efficient in use.

I am sorry that you do not appreciate our traditional style of hotel. As our hotel was built in 1807 it is a listed building and therefore we are constricted in building regulations, the floors in a few of the bedrooms do slope ever so slightly.

The bedroom and bathroom that would have stayed in have been refurbished in 2003, therefore you were mistaken with your comment regarding the 1980’s.

Regarding your air conditioning not working, if you had mentioned this problem at the time, we would have rectified it immediately by fixing it or offering another available room.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience, all of our staff are fully trained to a high standard and we regularly receive compliments regarding our staff.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was glad once again to have the opportunity of visiting the Chatsworth Hotel in Worthing - still run by the same family and still managed by their unfailingly courteous and helpful staff.
A traditional hotel offering traditional values - well worth a visit!

Room Tip: Worth asking for a 'garden view' or sea facing room for the best stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smuggler26
Mission Viejo
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Absolutely pants hotel frankly, they should lose a star or even two! I've stayed in a few four star hotels in Spain, Mexico, and America and attended hotel and catering school, therefore, I know absolutely nothing about the hospitality industry.

Upon check in, when asking for the safe to deposit my passports and extra cash they looked at me a bit funny and provided an antiquated sealed bag system; no big deal here, but we're just getting started. I booked a single room months in advance but since the hotel was full up I get a family room with bunks no extra charge but weird. There is an iron burn in the floor but no iron to be found anywhere. The trouser press works at least but what about my smart shirt: never mind.

The décor looks like it has not been updated since Queen Victoria's day, and although I do enjoy a touch of nostalgia when I'm paying over 100 GBP, I want it to be clean and smart to look at. I will say a kind word so you can see I'm not a monster troll who lives in the internet just to slag off poor unsuspecting lodgings. Shower was very nice and water pressure was good and the sheets were clean and smelled nice.

Moving on to breakfast; day one we had to queue in order to be seated although there was another room that had tables and chairs in it not made up. Fair enough if there are not enough staff members and too many guests but there were several of them milling about trying to look busy until the queue started. Qualify of food was fair, but absolutely forgettable. Day two, I received a cheerful good morning but was made to wait twenty minutes before the girl came over to take my order. I was only having weatabix and juice so it was fine, but come on!

Now for the reason I decided to write this review that will be lost in the annals of Qype/Yelp, but here goes. Checking out of the hotel there was a deluge in the street, a proper storm, and so I asked the front desk to ring me a cab. The manager informed me that there were only two cab companies in town, a boldface lie mind you, as I now know after some research that there are at least five!

I will review a very nice bed and breakfast that I stayed at just to prove I'm not always a miserable sod. If you managed to her through this review, found it helpful (or hideous) please leave a comment. Thank you very much and all the best!

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Lobsterollsforever
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review from which I am sorry to hear that you felt that your stay was not entirely satisfactory.

As we do not have in-room safes, we offer a service whereby guests may leave any valuables in a ‘Keepsafe Valuables Bag’ which we lock in the hotel safe. I’m sorry you felt that this was an ‘antiquated system’. Many hotels offer this service to their guests.

If our standard room types are fully booked, we do upgrade guests to one of our larger family rooms. The room comprises of a double bed, a single bed and a pair of bunk beds in an annexe room. The room is much more spacious than a standard room. I am sorry that you felt that this was ‘weird’ as we do find that most of our guests appreciate a free upgrade.

We do provide irons and ironing boards in guest bedrooms, if you had telephoned Reception, we would have delivered one to your room. This and all of our guest amenitites are listed in the guest compendiums in every room.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the cleanliness of the room. I am sorry that our traditional style was not entirely to your liking. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment with the first phase of all of our sea view rooms completed.

I am sorry that you had to wait to be seated for breakfast and to be served, this is a very unusual situation as we try not to keep our guests waiting at all.

I am sorry that you were mis-informed as to how many taxi services operate in Worthing, we regualrly use several different companies to arrange taxis for guests.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

One of Worthings better known establishments in a lovely position overlooking the Steyne Gardens. Stayed here October 2013 in one of the rooms with a sea view-vey nice!!

OK, yes the hotel is old but gains a lot of character and charm as a result of this and in fact makes a stay quite a quaint experience!!

Breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the gardens was a pleasant affair also.

All in all a good experience!!

Room Tip: Paying extra for a sea or garden view is advised!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stay regularly in hotels in UK and abroad but the room in this hotel (349) was truly dreadful. As other reviewers have confirmed the hotel rooms are in desperate need of a refurb so we knew what to expect. However it was much worse than that. Tired decor I can cope with - dirty rooms are however not acceptable. I will post photos to accompany this review but the issues we had with cleanliness in the room were as follows:-

Heavily stained carpet
Large food stain (or possibly blood) on wall
Mouldy bathroom surrounds
There was some sort of insect in the brown blanket on the bed.

The floor in the room was also on a slope - quite significant and probably dropped by a foot from one side to the other. The bed as a consequence was very uncomfortable.

Breakfast was however good and the waiting staff friendly unlike the reception staff who didn't ask whether the stay was ok when we checked out. I suspect knowing the room we were allocating in they knew what the answer was!

We paid £80 for the room so expensive given the poor quality. I couldn't recommend at all which is a shame given the great location.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank BrightonSeagullfan

With regards to the décor of the hotel, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment with the first phase of all of our sea view rooms completed.

Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room. Our housekeepers operate a very high standard of cleaning and if any of these matters had been brought to our attention at the time we could have investigated them and rectified them immediately. The room has recently been inspected for any problems and none of the items stated are visible with regard to you comments.

I am sorry that you felt that the slope in your room was uncomfortable, unfortunately a few of our rooms do have slight slopes due to the fact that the hotel is a listed building and we are therefore obvioulsy restricted with regards to any alterations to the fabric of the building.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding breakfast.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed for 3 nights on 7/8/9 July 2014 and had a truly happy experience.Reception was prompt and welcoming,my room comfortable and decorated in a pleasing maple and magnolia scheme.The cocktail bar was cosy and in the event of being temporarily unmanned service could be called for at reception.Entertainment was laid on for my first 2 nights and as an 82 year old solo traveller I was made to feel wanted and liked by both artistes in charge of the music and dance.This is my life-blood and it is what I came to this old-fashioned hotel to find.A generous cooked breakfast was served at table overlooking Steyne Gardens in full bloom.If I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find something to moan about I can only say that one tiny bottle of shampoo had to serve for my ablutions for 3 days..LOL!

Room Tip: I would gladly have paid a premium for a view of Steyne Gardens/sea