“Excellent weekend break with a wheelchair-bound, blind Ma-in-law”
Review of Chatsworth Hotel

Chatsworth Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I booked to take my 94 year-old Mother-in-law to the Chatsworth for a Saturday/Sunday in early August. From making the booking, to our turning up a little early, to the end of our most enjoyable stay, we were treated as special guests. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They were cheerful and positive throughout. Thoroughly enjoyed some really good meals (great bacon at breakfast by the way) and the hotel was buzzing with groups of bowls players as well as other residents. Strongly recommended for location, style and family-feel. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room 136 has direct access from the foyer, so handy for a wheel-chair user.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Norman T

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife & I, as part of a group of thirty bowlers, stayed for five days. We all found the hotel clean, very conveniently situated just off the sea front, welcoming & pleasant. The food was good, the service excellent, although the dining room table layout was just a little cramped. The main course of the evening meal menu too was limited to one of three choices, (fish, or meat or pasta/salad). Bedroom & bathroom space too was just a bit tight for two people sharing, the shower was great when running but not easy to set-up. One of the nicest aspects was the front of the hotel, including all front bedrooms which looked out onto a most pleasant green park square. Communal areas were comfortable, well furnished & relaxing, altogether a happy holiday experience. We would be pleased to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kenneth D
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked 2 rooms to stay overnight on 27/28th July 2014 specifically for the Fair. Found the hotel very hot and aircon not working in all rooms, phoned Reception to request a fan for our 3 year old son and was called back by the duty manager to be told another room was available with working aircon. The manager turned up with a porter to help move our belongings and moved us to the best room in the hotel! Front seaside views, 4 poster bed and the whole room was cool. All for the same price we had booked a Garden View room for. The customer service we experienced was outstanding, the old fashioned breakfast setup was nostalgic but suited our needs and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay despite the hot weather. Will definitely be back to stay again, especially as we found this hotel to be cheaper than others around it we have previously stayed in. Thank you once again!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank VickieUK
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend in Worthing.
I am pleased I had not booked to stay at this hotel if the restaurant is anything to go by.
Had the Saturday evening set menu.
The food was good, but the service was far from good.
I had to request the wine list not having been given the option.
I ordered a bottle of wine, and as one would expect you should be asked if you would like to taste the wine.
The bottle was plonked on the table in front of me ,
There is your wine.
Not even opened.
So if you want wine expect to open and help yourself.
N.B.
I cannot blame the young waiter or waitress.
I blame the management.
Understaffed and not trained.
You get better service from a local takeaway or pizza chain..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank francishurley
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed at the Chatsworth for business, I had a very odd check in time but received good service from the hotel as i notified them in advance and a kind gentleman was there for my arrival at an extremely odd time in the morning. Hotel has the aged character, however it is clean. Water from the shower was slow but i couldn't bother less. Great breakfast in the mornings. Nice Cozy bar and good service from the staff. Hotel is just across the beach

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor, not much to complain about it served the purpose
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just returned from staying at "The Chatsworth Hotel Worthing",all the staff were were friendly,polite and offered prompt service.
Our room was excellent and no issues at all with cleanliness.My husband was taken ill while staying here and they were so helpful and could'nt do enough for us.The food was good with prompt service from the dining room staff.A very good experience.

Room Tip: we were in room 218 and it had air conditioning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We made a last minute booking for 2 rooms at this hotel.

It is so bad it is laughable.It is expensive and awful. Don't risk the lifts.

The public areas have the charm of 1970's guest houses and the rooms are not good.

we had one room on 2 nd floor which had a floor so sloping my teenage son fell over getting out of bed in the night.

For decor think artex ceiling and naff old people's home.

our room had been refurbished in the DFS style but retained the NHS 1980's bathroom with the noisest shower pump I have ever heard. Air conditioning not working.

The dining room is embarrassingly bad. The staff are young, inexperienced and not impressive. The whole place is depressing to visit.

the only high light was the young manager who knocked £70 off the bill as it was so bad.

Room Tip: The facade is beautiful Georgian and there are sea views but the place needs ripping apart and start...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank John B
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us.

I do not understand your statement regarding our lifts? They are both serviced reguarly and very efficient in use.

I am sorry that you do not appreciate our traditional style of hotel. As our hotel was built in 1807 it is a listed building and therefore we are constricted in building regulations, the floors in a few of the bedrooms do slope ever so slightly.

The bedroom and bathroom that would have stayed in have been refurbished in 2003, therefore you were mistaken with your comment regarding the 1980’s.

Regarding your air conditioning not working, if you had mentioned this problem at the time, we would have rectified it immediately by fixing it or offering another available room.

We are currently undergoing a refurbishment with the first phase of all of our sea view rooms completed.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience, all of our staff are fully trained to a high standard and we regularly receive compliments regarding our staff.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.