“Disappointed”

High Beach Guest House
Ranked #21 of 26 Worthing B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2014

l booked 4months in advance to stay at this guest house. l was going to see Matt cardle in concert at the pier. However, l got caught in the most horrific traffic jam on the motorway on my way there. lt wouldn't have mattered what time l left, we were not moving after 3 hours and l was gutted to miss something l had looked forward too for 4 months. My husband informed the proprietors by phone that l would not make it in time for the concert, and as that was the only reason l was going, l turned off to go home. Much to my disappointment a while later they had charged me the full amount. l understand about any policies they might have regarding cancellations, but they knew full well about the traffic jam, it was on the news because of its size. lf l ran a guest house i hope l would have had the decency to at least only charge half price. After all, no food was eaten and already so upset about missing the concert, l was very out of pocket.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
lesblake, Owner at High Beach Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

I am sorry you feel disappointed. When you telephoned at 5.30pm to say you were stuck in traffic you said that you hoped still to make the concert in time. When your husband telephoned to cancel at 7.20pm I wasn't in a position to re-advertise the room. I did mention that I had heard that the M26 was closed. It was on the radio that it had been closed from 9.30 in the morning but as I was not local to the incident I was not aware of the implications to local travelers in Kent.
We always try to re-let last minute cancellations and make a good will gesture to our guest, however, on this occasion we were unable to relet the room.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Initially I felt it a little official but within 24 hours I found the people who ran it, especially Sara, to be lovely, genuine hard working people. The place is spotlessly clean, lovely surroundings and if you wanted extra tea/coffee, milk and sugar in your room it was brought asap. I found my stay there to be absolutely perfect and nothing was too much trouble. I developed a very nasty cold when I got there and Sara immediately took my keys and put the parking permit in my car to save me a fine. The following week I stayed at Marina's a couple of doors away, as High Beach were full, and although sicker by then she did not care if I got a fine. Whereas Sara went out of her way to be kind, nice and helpful and my stay there was perfect. I would not hesitate to recommend this Guest house to anyone if they want a lovely stay down on the seafront at Worthing and good service to go with it.

Room Tip: I cannot say anything to advise a good room, mine although small was perfect, clean and convenient.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Janesummarsell
Reviewed 4 December 2013

very convenient situation for Brighton and touring the area.. we had a lovely sea view in our twin-bedded room, the room was very clean as the en -suite.. The beds were comfortable which made a nice change but my only critisms would be that their were no extra blankets in the room since we sometimes felt it cold, the breakfast was very average , packets of cereals , no bowls of fruit ( prunes etc ) no yogurts and the service very slow.. since they state catering for all diets , i couldnt understand why after informing them weeks before we arrived the fact one of us gluten-free/ dairy free they hadnt bothered to go out and get the correct bread/ milk , particulary as they charged us £70.00.! As value goes we think this guest house worth no more than a realistic £50.00..

Room Tip: the front has lovely sea views..
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rivershannon25
lesblake, Owner at High Beach Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm not quite sure what the issue is. On top of the wardroom is a complete extra pack of bedding, including duvets, blankets and pillows.
When you arrived I did ask your daughter if she required soya milk which she declined telling me that she had brought with her some cartons. I also inquired about gluten free bread which was also declined and she requested just boiled eggs for breakfast. When we received your breakfast order, fruit was requested and this was supplied (orange, apple and banana) on the table.
We can only respond with the guest wishes.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I booked the guest house last minute and I was very happy with it. The room I booked was not en suite but it wasn't a problem. There is a basin in the room and which was satisfactory as we only stayed one night and the shared facilities were clean. The breakfast in the morning was a full English and it was perfect. There are also a choice of cereals and toast but I found that the cooked breakfast was very filling. The landlady and landlord were very lovely people and made us feel very welcome. I would visit again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed on a Friday night on the bank holiday. The Worthing area was very busy with accommodation in short supply so was please to get a b&b for £32 with full breakfast (not en suite). I was returning after staying here earlier in the year when I had a similar stay - the only difference was this time I had a good night sleep.
Breakfast was good, outside free parking available, can't grumble at that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We decided to stay at this guest house as it was reasonably advertised. After booking online, we were disappointed to find payment wasn't taken when we arrived, which meant we had to spend 30 minutes messing around with checking in from scratch. The landlady seemed pleasant however the guest house looked tired and small with very basic facilities. When we finally got into our room we noticed a thick cluster of dust on the top end on the open plan shower and tiny toilet cubicle. We were offered a menu choice for breakfast, only to discover breakfast wasn't even attempted before the landlady screamed at us to leave. We felt horrified at the way the landlady spoke to us. There are ways to address paying customers and this lady didn't seem to grasp the concept. The location is very far from Brighton centre and parking is limited. With all of this taking place I can honestly say I will never entertain even the thought of staying at this guest house.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Stuntsivt
Reviewed 26 June 2013

High Beach Guest House is a very comfortable B+ B along the west, and quieter, part of Worthing seafront.
My sister and I stayed over a weekend and had a lovely room on the ground floor with a sea view. The room of the old house had been cleverly converted to provide en suite facilities. It was a clean, cosy , tastefully decorated room with small T.V and very comfortable beds.
The room was only a few feet from the front door, which made for easy access but, could make sleeping a little disturbed depending on activity levels of other guests entering the guesthouse. I always travel with earplugs so had no issues, but my sister was woken on the first night.
You fill in a breakfast menu each evening so if a cooked breakfast is chosen there is only a short wait as John cooks it. There is a good selection of boxed cereal. Just off the breakfast room is a small conservatory that guests can use.
The location was quiet but only about a 15 minute (quick) walk along the seafront to town. It is half a mile to West Worthing train station and about a mile to Worthing station which has more regular services. We were travelling by public transport so the number 700 bus stop (the bus services the coastal towns/cities such as Brighton and Chichester) is just a few paces down the road.
Very friendly owners, happy to help with any query.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends