“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Al's Diner - CLOSED

Al's Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: We are an american classic diner
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

A trip to Worthing would not be complete without a visit to Al's Diner overlooking the sea front. The owners are so friendly and accommodating. The food is cooked from scratch and the presentation is on a par with the top restaurants in London but at a fraction of the price. Our favourites are the pancakes and crepes, and the choices are plentiful. Sea views and good music to listen to while waiting for the food to be cooked fresh. We have become regular visitors and cannot wait until the next time. Situated within walking distance of the town, what could be better on a sunny Worthing day that to enjoy a top class meal and top class service?

• Visited August 2012

merseyside
“Went with friends and a gourmet society card.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

We found this using the gourmet society app as we were after a cheap (50% off) pre movie meal in Worthing.

It is located right next to the cinema so decided to go even after reading the mixed reviews on TA.

The place was not very busy, on a sunny half term day in Worthing a bit worrying. Our party of 5 were greeted warmly and we sat down to order, the menu is rather large but we all picked starters and mains.

The starters seemed to take a good 30 mins to come and as we were trying to catch a film I asked if they could start straight away on the mains which the nice waitress said was no problem. We had a mixture of starters my friend opting for 36 chicken wings which we shared. The atmosphere was a bit tired and some of the decor questionable ( jelly bean shape under the light at the back of the restaurant? And random clocks displaying random times).

The mains came out quickly as requested, the girls ordered chili with rice and nachos, both were unimpressed with the amount of chili offered, my friend and I ordered hot dogs which were tasty but the frozen large chips a let down. His brother ordered a burger which was over cooked.

We didn't have the time to complain trying to get out in time for the movie and also getting 50% off felt a bit bad considering there were no major issues.

We asked for the bill which was explained in a strong quite hard to understand accent by the nice waitress on a piece of paper. We paid and left.

( the next day I was vomiting along with another 2 of my party. I can not directly say it was from Al's and feel I have reviewed it fairly)

2 Thank frankyp81
“Awesome - pancakes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

Had breakfast there 5 or so times now and every time it has been awesome! Pancakes are the best would recommend them everyone! Milkshakes are great too especially the peanut butter one!!

Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Worthing's own Italian-American diner!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

The owners are expansive, welcoming and like to remember their customers. The range is the full, traditional American so will hit the spot with kids and the nostalgic alike. All hand prepared to order, don't be impatient if your food doesn't appear instantly like a plasticky fast food place - that's not what Al's Diner is about. We'd particularly recommend the fantastic milkshakes - coffee for growed-ups(!) and anything from toffee-banana to pistachio to good old vanilla for kids. A warm and fluffy, retro place to visit!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Tinyclanger67
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Over priced for what you get”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I live in Worthing and my wife and I decided to eat there, I have walked past on numerous occasions and decided to give it a go.
I looked at the menu outside and started to have doubts as there was so much on offer (usually a bad sign).
Anyway we sat down and where greeted by the waitress who was very friendly and made our order. We decided to share a bowl of chilli nachos. These took about 20 minutes to arrive. Not a very large portion, there was plenty of cheese etc but the chilli was lacking, in fact hardly there at all.
We had both ordered new york strip steaks and asked for them medium and were told that if they were thin it may be difficult to get them right? I had mine with fries which were frozen ones, the steak was well done but tasty. It was accompanied by salad and coleslaw but this was just a little iceburg, one slice of tomato and limp cucumber. More of a garnish really. My wife had hers with baked potato but this did not come with any coleslaw. The portion size was tiny for the £11.95 we paid for each of them and I expected better quality.
I am not usually a complainer and in fact have never left a review before but felt compelled to share this with others.

• Visited July 2012