“Pretty Sweet!”
Review of kar'ben - CLOSED

kar'ben
Price range: US$4 - US$24
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
London, England
“Pretty Sweet!”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I've been working in Worthing for a while and had been looking at Trip Advisor for some ideas on different places to go and Kar'ben caught my eye.

I popped in one afternoon and tried the Pate Board and a black coffee.

The Pate Board was heavenly! A big slab of gorgeous pate on a bed of mixed green leaves, pickles, baby onions and dressings with sauces on the side, warm toasted soda bread and butter. The flavours were gorgeous and for the modest price, there was an awful lot to munch through!

The coffee was ok, nice but didn't make me think "mmm... that's a great coffee" and as they advertise having the best coffee in Worthing, my expectations were greater than what was delivered. Still, a perfectly good cup of coffee!

Service was exemplary, friendly and unintrusive, attentive and welcoming. I was asked (by the owner or manager I presume) how it was when I went to pay and we started talking - I mentioned I had visited on the strength of Trip Advisor reviews and she was genuinely pleased that I had enjoyed it based on the reviews of others. It seems e-Word Of Mouth is becoming the norm these days!

The venue itself is quite charming - rustic without being tacky.

Overall, a fantastic experience for under a tenner - really can't say fairer than that.

Improving the coffee flavour to outstanding instead of good would get this place a 5 out of 5 :)

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fab little cafe”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Fab breakfast cooked to order in an open plan kitchen in a no-frills shabby chic cafe, lovely coffee too. They also do lunches, tea & cake.
Quick friendly service, not a greasy spoon!!

1 Thank superlois987
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could do with a scrub”
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

I visited this place earlier in the week, when walking in I immediately noticed how dark and cold it was in there due to lots of light bulbs gone. All the tables were sticky and the display cabinets could do with a bit of a clean, just generally a bit dirty. The food was good but my sandwich was a bit overpriced. The staff were very friendly and pleasant, will try again and see if it's different. Only went there because its rated number 5 on here. I was disappointed considering the high rating.

1 Thank Susie178
“Delicious Mother's Day Lunch!!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Enjoyed their special two course lunch for Mother's Day - such good value at £13.95 pp. Have had some very nice light lunches and breakfast here, but taken by our daughter for this special day. Food freshly prepared by chef Heidi and her team and very of friendly, efficient waitresses,. We had pre-ordered and enjoyed a drink before our starters arrived. We all had something different, soup, pate and a salmon and dill mousse. All delicious and well presented. Salmon for mains for two of us and the vegetarian moussaka for our daughter, equally tasty. Piping hot plates ( big plus from us) Will definitely be back. Shame more people hadn't booked to sample this two course lunch, it was excellent value.

1 Thank Alismw
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Excellent little find....”
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Nipped in for lunch yesterday for the first time, masses of vegetarian options as well as interesting meat mains...very high quality food and attention to detail. We had goats cheese bruschetta with roasted beetroot and pesto, OMG delicious any my friend had a veggie sausage baguette with friend onions and mustard which was mouth watering. Friendly, efficiency from the waiting staff too. Definitely coming back.