“Nice for Ice-cream”

Ranked #4 of 4 Dessert in Worthing
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: European
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We just had ice-cream, reasonably priced. Had several flavours, some very nice, some a bit disappointing. Bit of a mix bag.
Good choice of ice-creams though.
Staff don't seem overally enthralled to be there, but polite enough.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Macari's is in a lovely location, and has good quality food - but does indeed lack that extra little wow from the staff.
You need to order and pay for your food at the till, and then wait for it to be delivered, as in many cafés - but there is nowhere to say this, and the staff seem relatively indifferent to anyone walking in through the doors.
On our most recent visit, the four staff behind the counter were happily chatting and gossiping among themselves, and barely even looked up on our arrival.
It could benefit so much from a more personal touch, and maybe even from leaning towards a more table-service based environment. I work in restaurants myself and do understand the need for staff banter and happiness, but the indifference to the customer does indeed seem a little strong there.
I have actually walked in before, to be completely ignored and walked back out again to go elsewhere.
With the Connaught Corner House being out of action and under refurbishment at the moment, Macari's have a massive opportunity to corner the seafront people-watching cafe market for a while - it's only the service level that is stopping them from doing so. The food ( and, as mentioned, especially the ice creams and cakes) are of a good quality... It just lacks that personal touch at the moment. Could do much better.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Good inside and out but outside you are just across the road from the sea. Great coffee and magic ice cream!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went for a quick snack on may bank holiday. Ordered two glasses of tea and two soups. When the waitress brought the soups over, in my haste to remove my tea, I knocked the full glass all over me. I ran for the ladies to make sure I wasnt burnt and in the mean time they mopped up the tea. There was no enquiry to see if I was alright or an offer of a replacement tea. The soup was like tastless water. We will never be going there again.

3  Thank lancing1
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I decided to visit Macari's with my two children when at a loose end on a Saturday afternoon in April. Not wanting the formality of the nearby restaurants, I looked for a cafe-bar for something light to eat. I ordered a meal from the limited choices available and received cafe food at restaurant prices - which is strange given the decent restaurants in the surrounding area.

Staff were great and attentive but, unless you are looking for ice-cream, I would recommend visiting other establishments for anything more substantial.

2  Thank RichH6109