“Fantastic”

English Martyrs Catholic Church
Ranked #2 of 38 things to do in Worthing
Reviewed 2 September 2014

A really great and totally unexpected experience. My family and friends and I visited this Church in late August 14 and spent 2 hours in totla awe of what has been done here.

1  Thank ChildwallTom

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Definitely worth visiting, we went on a Sunday at around 11.30am and a service had just ended. The Priest was lovely and very welcoming, as were the other staff/volunteers and even the congregation that had stayed after the service. The Church seems nothing special from the outside, but inside the roof is so beautiful. It's so worth going just to see it, it's beautiful, and everyone is willing to tell you the story about it being painted and show you the photos of it. There's also a gift shop that has a good variety of things, including videos of the roof being painted.

1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I read about this tiny, unimpressive little church and its amazing replica of the sistine chapel, so we decided to go and visit for ourselves. Seeing as we are very unlikely ever to see the real thing in Rome, this was the closest we would come to the experience for real. Gary Bevans, the artist, has had no formal art training, being a sign writer by trade, but I was just blown away by his replica, which took him five and a half years to complete. It took us an hour and a half each way, traveling by car, but was well worth the journey. We were fortunate in that there was a very helpful and knowledgeable curator on hand, who guided us through many of the individual segments of the painting, explaining what and who they represented.I feel at least now I have seen the Sistine chapel, even if it was in replica.

1  Thank julie v
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We were having a few days in Steyning and a friend suggested that we visit this church in nearby Goring. Well, were we in for a surprise!!!! Could hardly believe it. Absolutely fantastic.
Brilliant art work......quite breathtaking.
It is not open on a Sunday for visitors. So check which days it is open to the public.

3  Thank Mary C
Reviewed 24 August 2014

If you cannot get to the real Sistine Chapel then look no further than this wonderful replica, which is about 500 metres from where I live. Many hundreds of nationalities visit to see this brilliant artwork. Well worth a visit if you come to "Sunny Worthing" along with numerous restaurants and attractions. This is a MUST for all ages !! Prepare to be awestruck !

As I live close I make sure to visit once a week as it never ceases to amaze me.

3  Thank Antoinette B