“OK for one night”

Worthing and Findon Pit Stop
Ranked #22 of 26 Worthing B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 February 2014

There is no personal touch at this accommodation. All of our communication was done via text. Check-in details etc were sent a few days before arrival - although check-in would not be the right words to use as you don't actually do anything but turn up. Finding the place was fun, in a very dark village and a small door between a convenience store (empty) and a tapas bar. Your key is on the outside of the door. You see no-one! On arrival we noticed there were workmen in the empty shop below. The drilling was so loud and continued until 9pm when I had to text the contact name I had (Clive) to ask if he could sort something out. He texted back straight away and said he would sort it. The workmen left shortly after. Only to return and use a drill that sounded like the equivalent of a jumbo jet at 7.30am !!!!! Not sure if this was done on purpose for our complaint the night before (as they had gone by 10am!). The bed was very uncomfortable (too soft maybe). The shower was either freezing or scalding (burnt my arm so had to jump out).

The plus side is it is quite nicely decorated, our room was compact but was fine for one night. Communication was OK.

The downsides - before booking make sure shop below is finished as this really did ruin our night. We were so tired after a very long journey and to be woken up at 7.30am was not funny. Admittedly this is not the fault of the owner of the rooms, but something needs to be done or customers need to be informed work is being carried out. Be careful of the shower in room 10.

Room Tip: Room 10 is compact and shower desperately needs fixing before someone gets scalded.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julgil

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Having read all the reviews of this place, i can only surmise that some the rooms here are lovely, and some are not. We were obviously in one of the cheapest, nastiest rooms!
They key was left in the door of the room, and i have no issues with the lack of personal service at all. But what struck me when we walked in to the room was how cold and unwelcoming it was. The thermostat on the wall read 13 degrees - and it was December. My husband rushed for the info book supplied, which basically said "Don't fiddle with the thermostat!" Luckily i spotted a radiator on the wall with a switch beside it, so i turned it on and we retreated to the warmth of the local pub down the road. On our return the temperature had warmed up to a more pleasant eighteen degrees - apart from in the shower room, which was still freezing, No chance of opening the door up to let the warmth circulate, as it smelt strongly of damp.
The shower room itself wasn't big enough to swing a cat, or even a small kitten! There was a laminated notice stuck to the wall, saying that if you turned the switch past the drawn on black marks, you would blow something in the shower and you would be charged £100! Why not just have an electric shower that works properly in the first place i wonder?
It was impossible to control the temperature of the shower - it was either freezing or boiling. Luckily i quickly got out, as when i switched off the water i realised the shower tray was completely full of water, nothing was draining away....probably not everyone had spotted this, hence the horrible smell of damp.
The bed was uncomfortable, and there was a weird glowing green safety light right above the bed, which didn't help me sleep. Next morning i sat on the end of the bed to put my shoes on, and all the wooden slats underneath moved. On lifting up the mattress to put them straight, i found lot of dust and rubbish under the bed.
I was also quite concerned about all the trailing leads about the place. As there were not enough sockets by the tv, they had an extension lead tacked right along one wall and plugged in over the other side of the room.
Would i stay here again? not if you paid me! Worst place ive ever stayed in....

Room Tip: Try somewhere else?
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happytraveller65_12
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Arrived, and there was noone to check in. We had to go to shop to buy credit to ring him. Then he said he would be 2 hours to give us a key. The room we booked had a leak. We went out for the day and didnt want to wait around. Came back and he had left the key in door. He kept ringing to see when he can collect the money, he said he would get a friend to come round in evening, we waited up til half 11 NO SHOW. half 7 a knock on the door and someone comes to collect money. With no change either. WORST EXCUSE FOR A HOTEL.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rochelle f
Reviewed 18 February 2014

On arrival in the evening you will need a torch .The entrances and stairs are dark and eerie-if you ever find the light pushes please note they go off 5 seconds later.There is no one on reception,which does not exist.You will be E Mailed the door number to find your key.
After an effort dragging my case upstairs i sat on the bed-it promptly broke in half.(I am 14 stone)
The TV seemed to be connected to a Middle Eastern Satellite.Most programs featured Mid European holy men preaching-it was not possible to obtain BBC 1 or 2.
The shower is for heroes-it stays freezing for an eternity whilst fine spray cascades.
It would appear the owners are not discerning people. They have purchased a selection of low quality household items and put them, at random, in rooms after giving a good coat of paint.
The instructions are difficult to follow as there are so many miss- spelt words.
Their idea for good value lodging is excellent-their execution of idea is poor to say the least!

Room Tip: I do not think possible
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SRD807
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I turned up at the Stay at Findon at 8:30pm after a long fight to fine no reception! I had to call a number on a sign to find out were my room was.... A very odd way of operating. I have never see that in all my years of traveling over the world!

I would suggest sending people an email prior to check in date outlining what you will need to do to get your room!

The room over all a was fine for one night. However it was cold, but that may have been my fault as I didn't see the heater was off when I dropped my bags off before going out to get so!e dinner.

The shower needs looking at! It was either skin melting hot or ice box cold. And for a power shower their was NO power.... Somewhat disappointed!

For one or two days the Stay in Findon is fine. Any longer and I would recommend alternative accommodation.

So over all its OK for the price! Nothing special!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AdamJSY
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Usually go here with the girls and always a good night/s, good prices and good food too. Clean and friendly staff to boot. Had a tiny complaint early on but they sorted it efficiently and polity. Recommended to all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our room (number 3, part of Marigold Cottage) was compact and cosy with exposed beams, a vaulted ceiling and a ceiling fan. The room was freshly decorated and had everything we needed including tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was amazing - so comfortable with top quality goose feather bedding and pillows. The en-suite was spacious with plenty of hot water.

Clive, the owner, greeted us on arrival and said the key is in the door. He also said to let him know if we needed any more tea and coffee.

We enjoyed our stay and would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: Room number 3 was excellent and good value
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worthing
Travelodge Worthing Seafront
#4 of 10 in Worthing
Village House Hotel
Village House Hotel
#5 of 26 in Worthing

Been to Worthing and Findon Pit Stop? Share your experiences!