“Poor service and worse food”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Burlington Hotel

Burlington Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Poor service and worse food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Came here to Gio's restaurant for lunch on a lovely sunny day. Thank goodness the sun was shining as it was the only brightness in an otherwise dismal experience. After waiting for a long time we discovered that you were supposed to collect your own menu and order at the bar if you expected anything to eat. The menu suggested looking at the daily specials to find out what delicious fish was on offer. There were no specials and therefore no fish. Barman then decided he would take our order after all. Ordered an avocado and Stilton salad with walnuts and a brie and bacon sandwich on ciabatta. The salad had two small slices of avocado - both of which were brown and unappetising in part. Not the sort of thing that a self respecting chef would allow to leave his kitchen. There was a small amount of crumbled stilton and a few broken walnuts. The majority of the salad consisted of lettuce, interspersed with a few rings of red onion. A very disappointing meal at £7.45 - actual cost nearer £1.45 I would suspect. As for the brie and bacon sandwich; no complaints about the contents - generous amount of both. The ciabatta, however, was a mediocre imitation of the real thing. Shall not be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

The Burilington is a nice seafront hotel with a spacious lounge and veranda . The food and service where to a high standered.My only problems where the fact a hotel is being refurbished next door , The expence of parking on the seafront and the fact the barman who was also acting as night porter shut the bar in front of us as we walked in.

Room Tip: there is a noisy club below . we where woken by stragglers making there way home
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mick409
Chris P, Director at Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your lovely review. Here at the Burlington we strive to make each guest as happy as possible. I’m glad you enjoyed your food and that you found are service to be of a high standard.The building next door should be finished soon and should not interrupt anyone’s stay for much longer. I am very sorry you where disturbed but leavers of the nightclub. We would be more than happy to make sure you are placed on a higher floor next time so your stay goes undisturbed. In regards to the bar being closed as you arrived, I will be looking in to this matter as this shouldn’t have accrued. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed here for a family wedding on 16th August 2013 and was so disappointed. Any one thinking of staying here, please save your money and stay somewhere where the staff will respect you and deliver decent service. Ana who was the Duty Manager on check in was rude to my mother, Michaela called my mother to offer her 2 complimentary upgrades and confirmed this with her, upon check in this was not the case, and Ana completely palmed off any responsibility! My mum had paid for an early check in but by the time Ana had stopped messing around, it wasn't exactly early. You do not confirm upgrades with guests if you do not follow through with it.

My sister was told she couldn't have an extra bed in her room as it simply couldn't fit, which was absolute rubbish as the room was very spacious, in the end the man on the desk finally gave in, after my sister had To go down reception at 11pm and say her 4yr old daughter couldn't sleep as the room was so hot and there were 3 in a bed. What was the point in lying and saying no in the first place? What a joke.

As the rest of our party came to the hotel at around midnight we were greeted by an arrogant man with no people skills what so ever! My nan is 75yr old and he was rude to her whilst she was checking in at midnight as we were sharing a room. Atleast have a little respect for your elders. We went off into the bar for a quick night cap, and the whole time the night porter/manager was huffing and puffing giving nothing but attitude. I was sick of it and went to the front desk just to let him know that this was appalling and I would like to speak to a duty manager and wanted his name, he did not want to give me any information and then turned the lights off in the bar to get rid of us at around 12.30 (the bar is meant to be open until 2am).

Overall the hotel is a joke. I work in a 5* relais and chateaux luxury hotel and couldn't believe the service. 4* is not the case, I wouldn't even rate this hotel, absolutely pointless. It doesn't matter if you are paying 100 or 500 a night the service should always be spot on. Thanks for the worst experience possible. Even on check out we had no goodwill gesture, no apology, nothing.

Please stay elsewhere, do not waste your time or money here.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Hollydx91
Dear Guest,
I understand that this review will go along side an earlier one, as explained in the reply to your mother ; I believe there was some confusion regarding your rooms and for this I am very sorry. Each staff member has now undergone further customer service training so this doesn’t happen again.
I would like to state however, that unfortunately your mother wasn’t offered two upgrades, only one which was later explained and amended over the phone with her
I am sorry you feel your welcome into the Burlington wasn’t a warm one and for this I can only apologise. In regards to your sister not being aloud an extra bed in her room. Due to health and safety reasons, any extra bed placed in a room advertised as a double, would need to have at least one metre spacing surrounding the entire bed . Unfortunately the room your sister stayed in wouldn’t allow for that space but because of her circumstances, we later had no choice but to do so.
I am very sorry about the way you were all treated by the duty night porter, and I am in complete agreement that this should never have happened and I will be dealing with this matter personally. I disagree with your statement that the hotel is a joke, here at the Burlington we are constantly striving to provide excellent customer service unfortunately in this instance that this wasn’t the case for your stay.
Should you have raised any of your concerns to me during your stay, I would have addressed them immediately.

Travellers are raving about these Worthing hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

After getting locked out me and my partner made a late booking at the Burlington. Staff where lovely and very helpful. We were given a room on the first floor! Big room nice bed and lovely decor. The next morning we went down for breakfast and was greated by a lovely Romanian lady who couldn't do enough for us! Served all of our drinks even though it was supposed to be self service and tool are order with no delay. We later checked out and had a warm goodbye from the reception staff and general manager! Location was PERFECT price was what u expect from a sea side location. Almost wish I'm locked out more often!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for choosing us when you got locked out. We are really pleased that we were able to assist you at a difficult time. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and that our staff were friendly and courteous. I am glad that you liked our cooked to order breakfast. We hope that you will come and enjoy our bar and restaurant in the near future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

A good clean hotel close to beach and town. Good service and first class rooms. Bar and breakfast overlooking the sea. Parking close to hotel at £3 per day Mon-Sat. Staff helpful and friendly. Bar food very tasty.

Room Tip: Sea view essential
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your very nice review, we are thrilled to hear you found our room’s first class and the service you received was up to our standard. We are proud of our location Here at the Burlington and I’m glad you were about to enjoy this and take in the views. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was supposed to be a great weekend with family and friends for my birthday, but the hotel was a huge disappointment! The family room was noisy and the shower had little power in it, would have been better off with just the sink!

To top it all off we were directed to park in the designated area to park with a ticket but resulted in been given a parking ticket, this was after my partner had asked the hotel exactly where he could park and even looked on the map with the hotel receptionist! Dont trust what they say and make sure you get them to physically show you where to park or you will end up with a £75 parking fine as its residential and permit parking round there.

Hotel wrote us a letter for appealing for ticket but we still had to pay and its been over a month since I've heard anything from the hotel on this matter. They obviously dont care!! It was also very expensive for the level of service you actually get - were on the top floor - there is no lift so we had to go up 4 flights of stairs with luggage.

Food wise we had breakfast as it was included it was average the service level was pretty awful had to ask the staff three times for cutlery and when breakfast items had run out to be restocked.

Overall huge dissapoint and there are better hotels in Worthing - the Travelodge would be better than this!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BPead
Chris P, director at Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking time to write this review, I am so sorry you found your room noisy, although it was on our highest floor and therefore the quietest, and that the shower was not powerful enough. In regards to your parking ticket, I am at a loss as to why you received this. We do provide daily parking tickets and maps for all our guests to ensure they are parked correctly. I’m sorry if this information was confusing, however I don’t believe my staff can’t be trusted in regards to this matter. We are very sorry you found the fact we have no lift a struggle I understand this can be a nuisance however it is stated on all websites and confirmation sent via third parties or by ourselves. Each guest in offered help with their luggage when checking in, and out so a member of our team would have been more than happy to help with any luggage you had. Here at the Burlington we strive to make each guest feel at home i am sorry that was not the case during your stay. I hope that you will give us another opportunity, in the future, to reverse your opinion of the Burlington Hotel and for us to show you what outstanding customer service we can provide. I would very much like to rebuild your trust in The Burlington and therefore if you find yourself visiting Worthing again, I would be most grateful if you would contact the General Managers Office where your booking will be dealt with by me.
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked 3 rooms at the burlington for the 16th august 2013 , I spoke to Mikala on the phone 3 days before and was offered 2 upgrades from a executive double to a executive suite and a standard double to a executive double which i thanked Mikala for but low and behold the lady who checked us in said no upgrade for me she was rude and refused to take any blame for the misunderstanding i think her name was Ana . I pointed out i was offered the upgrade from one of her colleagues. I feel that the staff obviously do not work as a team giving their customers the best possible service. My daughter who was in my party is a receptionist at a 5* luxury hotel in the new forest where we live and was appalled at the service we received . My family were attending my brothers wedding in Worthing and the hotel was recommended to us by the bride and groom. I had also asked for early checkin of which i also paid for at the cost of £15 but obviously with the service we received at checkin time was ticking on.

we arrived back in the hotel at 12 after a lovely wedding with my 75 yr old disabled mother thought we could pop into the bar for a night cap to be greeted by a rude arrogant man who i believe was the duty manager i feel we were treated in a disgusting manner my daughter tried to talk to him and asked for his name but he with held it again this was not acceptable at all.

When i went down for breakfast the next morning to meet with my family i thought i had come to the wrong hotel as the staff serving breakfast were very nice and friendly and to give credit were credit due the housekeeping staff lovely to i was pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms

I understand that the general manager will answer this review with excuses and i am not interested in this as he is not there with his staff so i really don't think he is in a position to answer if i could speak to the owners of the hotel they may get an insight into the way the hotel is run in their absence .

I hope this is of help to other customers and the hotel itself

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank gdoyle64
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review. I believe there may have been some confusion regarding your room. You booked your room through a third party, Booking.com, when confirming these rooms via email, you where offered one upgrade to one executive suite and 2 standard doubles. You were offered this upgrade as our system was showing that we did not have an executive double available. My receptionist then called you to make sure we had the correct information for these bookings, you then explained you had booked 1 executive double and 2 standard doubles. and made changes to the booking. At this time due to the nature of the modification the system had thought there were 6 rooms as a total, you later explained there were only 3 rooms which were under different names. Because of this my receptionist then explained that you had been allocated into the original rooms you had booked (1 executive double and 2 standard doubles). and not the upgrade as we had allocated a total of 6 rooms to you.I’m sorry if this was confusing to you at the time, i have spoken to my receptionist regarding this and she understands she needs to be clearer. I would also like to apologise for the way you where made to feel upon checking in, this matter has been dealt with. and retraining given. I must also apologise for my night manager he has been spoken to and he has had retraining in customer service.
On a positive note, I am happy you enjoyed your breakfast and that the staff were friendly and polite and that you found the cleanliness of the rooms of a high standard. I would like to assure you that had you have raised any of your concerns with me during your stay, I would have addressed them immediately.