“A good, if slightly old fashioned place to stay in Worthing”
Review of Burlington Hotel

Burlington Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
London, England, United Kingdom
“A good, if slightly old fashioned place to stay in Worthing”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The highlight of the stay was the full english breakfast in the morning which was quite decent - which says a lot for the rest of the hotel. Functional, but it is not somewhere you would get excited about.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
KerryGeneralManager, General Manager at Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay here at The Burlington. I am very happy that you enjoyed your full English breakfast. Here at The Burlington we are constantly striving to make each guests stay a memorable one therefore I am sorry that your stay was not all you expected it to be.I would very much like to rebuild your trust in The Burlington and therefore if you find yourself visiting Worthing again, I would be most grateful if you would contact the General Managers Office where you’re booking will be dealt by me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night as I was down on business. Parking was ok and to be fair reception gave me a permit to put on my vehicle dash.
My double room was on the side street but you could just about see the see (205) room was pretty drab and dated. The floor was a little uneven but I think they had the bed on the wrong wall and I say this because my head was lower than my feet, I that is not a good position to be in when trying to sleep obviously. The shower was more or less in a cupboard and although the power shower was pretty good, the water was not daring away fast enough, in fact it was hardly daring at all, so you don't have long as the build up of water at your feet is close to overflowing the tray in no time.
FREE WiFi was nice to see and was reasonably fast.

Breakfast was the worst though for me, there were only a few people there and the view was good as you are on the opposite side of the main road to the beach. There was cereal and fruit juice on the crammed bar top (would be better on a table) and coffee and hot water flasks! I hate that, why can't they just make people fresh tea and coffee, so this was an indication of what my breakfast was going to be like. I made myself a warm cup if tea and sat at a table in the window and waited, after about 10 mins a woman appeared behind the bar and clearly was surprised to see me, anyway, she came over with her notepad in hand, said absolutely nothing and just stood there, I ordered full English. My breakfast arrived pretty quick to be honest which surprised me a little, but bacon looked and tasted as if it had been microwaved, sausage and beans were barely warm and the beans tasted old, if that makes sense, the only food on my plate that was hit was my fried egg! Toast but no butter, I had to go back to the bar to find mey very hard cold butter which just sat on my toast, so I gave up and left 85% of it. I paid my bill, explained to the polite receptionist that I was quite disappointed for which she apologised and left.
It cost £85 for the one night with breakfast so not cheap but not expensive either but I would probably not stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank ColinJames-UK
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing The Burlington Hotel for your business trip. I am glad we were able to provide you with a parking permit allowing you to park close to the hotel. I would have to disagree with your comment about room 205 we have recently added a few extra touches to this room with new scatter pillows, rugs, throws and decorative vases and we have received very positive feedback about this room from other guests. Thank you for making us aware that the bed position is off, I will be looking in to this and looking at ways to improve the layout of this room. The drainage issue in your shower has been taken care of and is now draining as it should. I am glad you found the pressure in the shower nice and powerful . I am glad however you were able to enjoy our free Wi-Fi. I am very happy to say we have changed the way we do breakfast here at The Burlington. We now have a separate area away from bar where you can collect full continental breakfast; this includes meat and cheeses as well as all fruit and breakfast pastries. We also now serve tea in tea pots and coffee in cafeterias all brought to your table. All seating is in the same place so you’re still able to enjoy the beautiful views. The hot food is still cooked to order. I would like to apologise for the service you received at breakfast during your stay. I am confused as to why you were left waiting and will be investigating this fully. I am also sorry that you did not enjoy y our breakfast had we been aware of the fact you weren’t happy with this at the time we would have addressed this immediately. I am sorry that your stay was not all you expected it to be and I would very much like to rebuild your trust in The Burlington and therefore if you find yourself visiting Worthing again, I would be most grateful if you would contact the General Managers Office where you’re booking will be dealt by me.

Travellers are raving about these Worthing hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed here for one night and for £85 it was not very good. The location is a bit out of Worthing, so not great, but plenty of off road parking.
The hall ways up to the room had a fairly bad smell, which I was pleasantly surprised didn't make it into the room.
The room was distinctly drab, expectionally bland decor, and not even a bath in room 306. It did have a fairly big tv on the wall, if you like that sort of thing, and even with the window wide open it was hot all night.
Food and drink was expensive in the bar, I paid £4.20 for a pint of peroni.
Breakfast was genuinely poor, had the full English, and only managed to eat the toast. The egg had some weird foam on it, and the bacon looked disgusting. I think they were trying to make me not come back because when I checked out they didn't even ask how my stay was.
In summary, don't bother, the grand in brighton is a bit more but you will at least enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank nig h
KerryGeneralManager, General Manager at Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for staying with us at The Burlington Hotel. I am very concerned as to what the smell was during your stay, we have investigated this thoroughly and are still at a loss as to what it could have been.Our corridors are cleaned and hovered daily and we have air-fresheners throughout the hotel. I am sorry this occurred during your stay with us but I’m very glad this did not invade your room. I have to disagree with your comment on our décor as I feel all our rooms are suitable for people of all ages room 306 is a lovely size with light décor. Unfortunately not all of our room have both baths and showers; room 306 is a shower only room. We do currently have descriptions on all our rooms and photo’s of most of our rooms on the website. I am very sorry you found your room hot during your stay; we provide fans for each room which can be found in your wardrobe. Had this not been sufficient reception would have been happy to have delivered extra to you. I would also like to apologise for your breakfast. Had we been aware of the fact you weren’t happy with this at the time we would have addressed this immediately. I am sorry that that you stay was not all you expected to be and I would very much like to rebuild your trust in The Burlington and therefore if you find yourself visiting Worthing again, I would be most grateful if you would contact the General Managers Office where your booking will be dealt by me
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

A wonderful old listed building transformed into a modern hotel. When you walk into reception it looks a bit dated but when you visit the bar and restaurant you see an old building tastefully modernised. It is very clean and the staff are very friendly. The bed was very comfortable. There isn't a lift and we were on the 4th floor! We were wacked when we reached the top - especially after the wonderful food and wine. The choice of hot freshly cooked breakfast is wonderful. The receptionist explained that there is a lift but it can't be used as it needs modernising but Worthing Council won't allow the owners to change it because it is a listed building. The same applies to the reception area

Room Tip: when booking ask to have a room on the 1st or 2nd floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank suzyq1947
Dear Guest. Thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled you like the décor, we have tried very hard to keep the hotels character whilst modernising certain details. It’s very nice of you to say you found our staff helpful and that your room was nice and clean with comfy bed. I can completely understand the stairs are an inconvenience we would be more than happy to make sure you are allocated to a lower floor should you choose to stay with us again. I would also like to say thank you for your lovely comments on our food and wine during October we are trying a few German dishes on the menu as well as German beer all in aid of Oktoberfest which we would love you invite you along to try. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Burlington and hope we can make your stay even better.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently stayed at The Burlington (overnight) for a family wedding. I know Worthing well, and the locality of the hotel is ideal. The Beach is just over the road, and if you fancy a stroll or a jog its not far to go. There are many local amenities nearby, and when the weathers good you cant fault it.
This is a good place for any type of party, single, couples, family etc.
The Staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel itself was clean and well presented. I had an early book in for 1pm, however got there at 11.45, and was lucky enough to be able to go straight up to my room at no extra cost. A very big thank you for that..
I would certainly recommend it for a break, but would also encourage you to consider it for a wedding reception. We had a buffet, and it was excellent ... not a sausage roll in sight!
Thank you to the staff at The Burlington for making it such a great wedding reception, and such a comfortable night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for your lovely review. We are very lucky to have such an amazing location here and we hope to share this with you again. I’m so happy we were able to accommodate for your stay and that your room was ready for your early arrival. Thank you for your kind words about the buffet and wedding reception. It truly was a spectacular evening. We look forward to welcoming al of you back to The Burlington Hotel in the near future.
Cagnes, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed one night and the family room we had was at the top of the hotel (so third floor and 6 flights of stairs) without a lift. Luckily one of the bar staff helped with our baggage.
WE decided to have dinner there in the evening: the restaurant is in the bar area which was incredibly noisy .. Granted there were quite a few people there but the tables where were people were drinking. WE went to reception to tell them that we`d cancel our table because we could not even talk by shouting .. ! We then got moved to a quiter room.
ASide from these glitches the hotel is fine and well located

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking your time to write this review. I can completely understand that it can be a bit of climb up all the stairs, however I’m happy a member of my team was able to help you with your luggage We would have been more than happy to move you to a room on a lower floor had you brought this to our attention.. We do have a very popular bar here on a Friday and Saturday night which can become quite lively which is why I glad we were able to accommodate for your meal outside of the bar area. in our lounge. We try to do this as much as possible for families staying in the hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Burlington Hotel we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have just held a family wedding at The Burlington and all the staff were so very helpful and accomodating to any of our requests and also gave all kinds of helpful suggestions. Several of our guests stayed overnight and said their rooms were comfortable, warm and spacious. The bride & groom had a corner room with two large windows overlooking the beach, even sea views from the bathroom, which was exceptional. The bar has a lovely terrace and it was blissful to hear the sea lapping on the shore whilst sipping your favourite tipple. The tables for the wedding reception were laid out beautifully and everything had been set out so the day flowed without any hitches even down to the staff adjusting the temperature of the room to suit our various requirements. Food was plentiful and promptly served. The cost was very reasonable and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. A big thank you to all the staff at The Burlington!

Room Tip: Seafront Views are a must. Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking your time to write this review and for choosing to stay with us during your family’s wedding reception. I am really pleased our staff were so helpful and accommodating. Thank you for your lovely comment on our rooms. We have tried very hard to make people feel at home in their rooms. The honeymoon suite the bride and groom stayed in is a beautiful room. We are very lucky to have such amazing views and we look forward to sharing these with you again in the future. The day went very well and was truly amazing. Thank you for your kind words about the food and the service. It was a pleasure being a part of such a special day. We look forward to welcoming you all back again and wish the bride and groom and a spectacular life together.