“Wasted Potential”

The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed here for the late Spring Bank Holiday weekend - selected it as it was a quiet location, close to lots of lovely walks on the Downs and it delivered on those scores. Now, while there is little that can be done about tired decor, mouldy metal window frames or damp patches in a building this age without extensive renovation, the housekeeping staff could I think make more of an effort to dust the cobwebs off the walls, ceiling and light fittings in our room (which had clearly been there for some time), wave some furniture polish at the wooden chairs in the restaurant and discover how to use the vacuum cleaner throughout. I was also concerned that there were no emergency contact instructions in our room should anything go wrong, a necessity I would have thought in a hotel without 24 hour reception or phones in all rooms. Some attention to detail would also have been nice - to have newspapers available to buy at Reception in the morning, to have the tea/coffee tray replenished and the soap replaced and to have a vegetarian option available in the restaurant. As it is I would be reluctant to stay again or in fact in in any other RelaxInnz branded hotels on the evidence of this visit. The front of house staff however were absolutely charming and sweet, and it's such a pity that the management seem to treat it as a carvery with a few rooms attached and don't really seem to care about the guest's overall experience. It's a shame, because with a bit more effort over the basics, this could be a lovely little gem for the more mature traveller that it is clearly marketed towards.

Room Tip: All rooms are in a separate block to the bar and restaurant so they all seemed equally quiet, but ap...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L B
There are newer reviews for The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed 27 May 2013

First night ok, but room not cleaned or bed made up on second night, complained to reception but no response other than they would mention it to the cleaners the next day, had herbal teas in the tea room five yards from the restaurant, but would not supply in the hotel room. However, location good and tea room staff very good.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Johny747
Reviewed 24 May 2013

A bit difficult to find as it is not acutally directly on the Littlehampton Road, it is up the hill.

Nice clean rooms, friendly staff and attractive location. Bar was shut when we arrived so had to have a cream tea in the tea room on site. Reception is in the main building with the rooms located just a few steps away,

Food is a carvery with 4 choices of meat and the beef was perfect for me, pink in the middle.

Breakfast was included in the price and included a full English.

TV reception was not good.

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had room 14 - a bit dark due the trees outside the window.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and have no complaints about the breakfast or the room. But, on the second night I returned to the hotel at 10.45pm, only to find it locked up for the night. I had handed my key to the girl on reception that morning and had not been told to hang on to it.
There was no sign of life anywhere around the hotel, no emergency number, the phone number for the hotel rang and rang without any reply.
I was forced to find a room in another hotel at around 11.30 that night.
There was no apology the next day by the manager, no offer of any kind of refund or a free night on another occasion.
It was extremely difficult to identify an e-mail address for this hotel and subsequent e-mails have not received a reply.
Apart from health and safety issues around no overnight staffing, I would not recommend this place to anyone because of the attitude of the manager and will not be staying again.

Room Tip: Hang on to your key at all times......!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank strongmike
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I needed a room for one night as I was working in the area.
It looked nice on laterooms.com so I booked it

The room was very nice I had room 10 which has cute furniture and it was immaculately clean and warm. The bathroom was quite dated but it was very clean.

The evening meal was a carvery and it was dreadful.
As a vegetarian I was offered nut roast. How 1970s - meat free food has moved on a lot since then!
I elected to have just vegetables but that was a mistake too.
Carrots swimming in water, lumpy mashed potato, disgusting brown looking bubble n squeak. I had to ask the waitress for some butter to add to my mash as for sure it had not seen any until that point.
All the time the chef was standing around and not looking after his food.

The waiting staff were all stood at the bar chatting and it took them 20 minutes to notice I had finished and ask me if I would like dessert. Which was a whole different story. The eaton mess was exactly what it says on the tin - a mess! The cream wasn't whipped and it was all sloppy in the dish. I couldn't eat it.

Breakfast was no better unfortunately. The lazy chef obviously puts everything through the deep fat fryer including mushrooms as they were overlooked and I couldn't eat them. The poached egg was raw. Completely uncooked and again I couldn't eat it. The best thing on the plate was my toast and that I did myself at the breakfast buffet table.

The waiter agreed with me and did replace my breakfast. The egg was perfect this time but the mushrooms were again overlooked through the fryer.

Needless to say, I would never eat here again, but if I was just looking for a room, then yes this place would be great as the room was comfortable and clean and I had a good nights sleep.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank roamingjode
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a wonderful find. Large double room, comfortable bed with big bathroom that had a bath and shower. The carvery was good value for money and cooked or continental breakfast - served from 7.30 so not too late for business guests - was included in the £54 room price. Absolute bargain. Best budget hotel I've stayed in bar none.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 30 April 2013

After travelling for 8 hours we finally arrived at this hotel at 21.45 tired and hungry! The young man on reception greeted us with a smile whilst asking us for the room fee. Once paid we asked about food only to be told that the car very was closed. I asked about room service but was told no and that there was a pub down the road that might still be serving!! It is important to state that we had been trying to ring the Highdown to confirm late arrival however the number we had was unobtainable. We found a pub that took pity on us and gladly provided us with refreshments, even though they too had technically closed their food outlet!! Because I had been driving, I was looking forward to a night cap before going to bed, however on getting back to the hotel, even though we could see four people in the bar, the door was firmly locked and we were told that the bar was indeed closed!!! "Even for residents" I exclaimed! Yes - we were told. Unbelievable!!!

Breakfast was ok although very dated furniture. Our room (a twin room) was clean and comfy. I'm afraid that due to total lack of customer service, we will not be recommending this hotel to our colleagues who travel to Worthing regularly!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kath I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worthing
Travelodge Worthing Seafront
#2 of 11 in Worthing
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!