“Won't be going Back”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Won't be going Back”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I would just like to let you know of the experience my family had at your carvery on the 26/1/20014
It was my grandsons birthday and we thought it would be nice to go out for lunch there would be 10 in our party my daughter tried to book a table only to be told they did not take booking's but to arrive as near to twelve as after that time could not guarantee a table . Six of our party arrived at 12.05pm to be told they could not be seated until all of our party had arrived (never heard of that before) myself and husband arrived at 12.20 having come from Orpington and the last couple were about 10minutes away coming from Ascot when my daughter finally managed to speak to the member of staff to inform her she would still not seat us. By now it was around 12.40 and the restaurant was getting pretty full we were then told there were no tables available and were unable to give a time when there would be. Having a 4 and 2 year old who by this time were getting hungry we had no alternative but to leave and went to a very nice pub who were only to happy to accommodate us . I think if you have a no booking + no seating until everyone has arrived you should make this clear when anyone enquires about large parties and staff who did not care I think you could be losing a lot of customer's none of our party will ever be returning and I would most certainly not recommend this establishment to anyone. Rating Zero
T

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John E
Nicola P, Manager at The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your review, we would like you know that we do take them seriously, we are sorry that you feel you had a bad experience.
We have reviewed the events on Sunday & as you have said we do not take bookings,as this is our busiest day, but we do Monday through to Saturday for family events. Sunday 26th was an exceptionally busy start from 12 o`clock having explained to you that we would be unable to seat you untill everybody in your party had arrived, unfortunatley for yourselves the other large party of 12 that were waiting the rest of there guests arrived at 12.50 & they were then seated on 2 seperate tables, the retaurant was by this stage full & we were waiting for people to leave so we could then seat your party, when your last 2 guests arrived you then decided to leave .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here for one night as we had a family birthday in Worthing. The hotel is clean and tidy and served a rather good breakfast. Having stayed at bigger chain hotels in Worthing we were really surprised that this place was so good and so much cheaper.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your review & look forward to seeing you again
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Because of previous reviews we were somewhat cautious of this hotel, however although it is somewhat dated, it was great. For the price, that was only a few pounds more than Premiere Inn but here included breakfast I could not fault it. The reception staff member was courteous and professional, the standard of rooms was excellent and breakfast was fresh, well cooked and had everything you needed in a buffet style help yourself arrangement. We booked three rooms for one night as we were in the area for a funeral the following day and they even allowed us to keep our change of cloths in one room until we returned from the service.
This group do need to invest in new T.V's and striping out old baths and sanitary ware, there are a few chips of paint in places, but do not be put off from staying here, I have stayed in a lot lot worse places.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, we have recently refurbished the bedrooms & are pleased with the response we have been receiving, We are glad you enjoyed your stay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

It looked promising from the photo. Big mistake not to read Tripadvisor first though. The minute we got there the experience started, and not one I will repeat.

Fristly as soon as we opened the car door in the car park the smell of cooking fat was disgusting, Chicken Cottage places do not even emit such a stink when walking past!. This did not bode well......

The check in staff where not the friendliness. We were MADE to pay for our room within 3 seconds of getting there, no help with bags and we had many. She got the keys and whilst I was asking why we had to pay so promptly she put them below the desk as I was talking as if I was some criminal. This enraged me, who did she think she was dealing with...... I am so angry I cannot say anymore as it will be too rude. A course on customer service is much needed and should be looked into immediately.

As we left her, we were told in parrot fashion and as if we were thick how to turn the lights on and when breakfast was. That was it.

Our room was ok, functional and we were not going to spending any time there to be honest. The next day at 11.30am we heard a god almighty banging on our door with the very same friendly helpful staff shouting at us that we were half an hour late checking out! News Years Day too!

In the bar you cannot add drinks to your room (as the tills do not work together we were told), again another huge failing in my eyes.

I defy anyone to sty in this place. Maybe out of sheer desperation!!!!

Sorry but had to be said.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha A
Thank you for the review we do appriciate your remarks, & as you are now aware we are very close to the south downs countryside & farmlands & are very sorry if you found the fumes overpowering.
We have also recently updated our hotel system & are now on par with europe & counties further afield & this is why it is a pay on arrival system, unless you have booked with an agency that will take the money before hand , but weappologise if you found this offensive,unfortunatley this is also why we do not have room tabs as we do not hold card details on our system.
We do explain our lighting system to all guests along with meal times & departure times of 11am,
Unfortunatley our housekeeping staff were on a tight schedule to have rooms available for our guests that were arriving on New Years Day & that is why when we had a phone call earlier in the morning we were unable to give a late check out time.

Travellers are raving about these Worthing hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I visited here as part of mothers 70th birthday meal, we had ordered food and as I waited at the bar to buy drinks, a very angry member of staff who appeared to be the manager! greeted me with " is it just drinks, no, go away!" Not serving! and walked off. Somewhat shocked at his aggression and not wanting to spoil my mother's dinner, I waited, for him to return and serve other people before me, he did so aloofly, but without the abuse, and then said "what do you want then?" Disgruntaly serving me the drinks. It was busy and he was obviously looking for someone to to be rude to, the fact that this was the manager makes it even more disgusting, I would suggest if he does not like his job, that he find an alternative employment instead of being so rude and aggressive to paying customers.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Mark140
We are terribly sorry that this has happened at such a special family event, We have spoken to the member of staff in regards to this as myself as the manager was off that evening & hadn`t been made aware of this
We hope to see you in the near future
bristol UK
Reviewed 15 December 2013

we stayed for one night this week. On arrival it was hard to find reception as there are no signs but as you drive in it's right round the front of the building, when you get round there you'll see it easily. Check in friendly and efficient. Room was big, lovely bed. Shower a bit temperamental but ok. Clean, nice TV and tea and coffee. The hairdryer was useless like something from the 70's, Bring your own. Main issue was windows didn't even open a crack and we were very hot. I had asked for a window as we sleep with one open. There are locks on them, maybe they will unlock if you ask? However we really liked it. The location is ace in the hills, lots of wildlife. Staff friendly, Breakfast was nice in the morning. We have rebooked already as my husbands family live down that way.

Room Tip: room 9 was nice