“Don't believe the bad reviews!”

The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I booked this hotel because I was at a training course in Durrington. I have to say that I read some poor reviews and my husband was pulling my leg about going to stay with Basil and Sybil - JUST DON'T MENTION THE WAR! he kept saying. To say that I was a little apprehensive would be underplaying it. However, from the beautiful sloping drive (like Downton Abbey? This is for you) to the gorgeous, characterful brickwork and authentic touches of history; from the very pretty tea room, to the delicious breakfast; from the breathtaking Highdown Gardens just behind the hotel to the expansive views further along the drive; from the charming French Bergere bedroom furniture, to the kind and friendly staff, I just couldn't fault it. The only thing that caused me any trouble was the lack of Wifi on my last night which stopped me sending a work e mail - the staff couldn't have tried harder to help, and as it was I just popped back down the drive and up the road to Asda and used their free Wifi, so it wasn't the end of the world. The public areas were beautifully decorated and had large old fashioned desks that one could work at. The room itself was clean and well serviced as was the bathroom (only criticism is that the bathroom décor was stuck in the 1990s but it was extremely clean) A fellow delegate was paying almost twice as much at the Premier Inn up the road - I was astounded. The receptionist even moved me to a room at the back as I was concerned that the one by the door would be noisy - the room was so quiet I could have heard a pin drop. Absolutely tip-top and I would definitely book again, and have recommended it to others. If you are alone I would recommend Room 10 - a twin with a chair, table, stool and desk. Perfect for working or leisure it is very convenient for local towns.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel - Room 1 is by the front door and at the bottom of the squea...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank happygolucky8214

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed here again for two nights mon and Tuesday. This time we had room no7. Ground floor next to the fire door, which was open on our arrival. First impressions of the room were good. They have definitely improved the decor and furniture since our last stay. However things slowly went downhill slightly when we realised we couldn't get wifi at all in this room. We could just about get wifi in room 14 on our last stay, which was bad enough. There were lots of flies in the room and outside the room. Once we got rid of the flies in the room (about 5 to be fair inside the room) we just tried to make sure the ones outside the room didn't get in when we opened the door. There was a strong smell of cigarettes in the room as well. The hot water was fine this time round. Last time we stayed it wasn't so good. The bathroom was cleaner this time, but they could do with updating the bathroom as well as the bedrooms. Breakfast was the same as last time. Choice of cooked breakfast or cereal. Tea, Coffee and juice We didn't go down till 8.30am and by this time the eggs and bacon were slightly on the harder side. The reception needs a bell to alert the staff that you are waiting to check in, as both times we had to search for the staff in the bar to check in. No milk cartons in the room, but this was rectified when we mentioned it to the cleaner the next day. Nice to see the cats again, although rather alarmed in the evening to see the cat bowls had turned into a slug restaurant with about a hundred slugs all piled into it having a feast. I took a photo because it was that disgusting. Not sure if there is a safe way to control the slugs without harming the wildlife? Or just remove the bowls of food at night because the cats can't eat it anyway. All in all, we would still stay there again, as long as we weren't planning on using the wifi, And would go armed with some raid fly spray ;) we didn't have the carvery this time so can't say whether that has improved or not.

Room Tip: Don't have room 7 if you're reliant on using the wifi
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was a late booking for Bank Holiday Saturday (one night only) . We had Room 6, which was obviously quite newly refurbished and included a beautiful four-poster king size bed and a spacious well appointed bathroom. We enjoyed the Carvery meal on Saturday evening (except for a male guest having a very loud mobile phone conversation about pigeons!) The food was well cooked and nicely presented, and very reasonably priced. We didn't visit the Tea Rooms as we arrived just as they were closing. It would have been nice to be accompanied from Reception (in the separate Restaurant building) to the actual hotel bedroom building. Also, there wasn't a light switch in the bathroom, this was in the hallway near the door to the room - awkward if you needed to use the bathroom in the night!!!. The breakfast was quite adequate, but it would have been nice to have an option of fruit (ie grapefruit, fruit salad etc) and.yoghurts. However, we enjoyed our stay and would certainly use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Four-poster bedroom every time!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My Girlfriend and I stayed here on the 15th of August for a wedding.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a beautiful surrounding and a great looking venue, the wedding was also taking place here to, the check in was easy and the staff came across as friendly, however, there was a hint of sewerage about the place.

We stayed in room 2, a 4 poster bed, initially we were impressed, the room it's self was well furnished and tidy, the bathroom really let this place down though. It was like my Grandma's bathroom back in 1960's!

We dropped our luggage off and headed to the main venue a short walk away, as we entered the main building to proceed upstairs for the ceremony, we came across 2 chef's sitting on the sofa eating dinner, they were asked to move as the wedding party was just arriving but they carried on eating, in my opinion it's very unacceptable. The venue was well presented and staff upstairs were helpful.

The reception was also held here in the evening, food was good, bar staff were inviting and friendly and it went smoothly. After a great night we retired to the room for sleep. Room was quiet and a nice temperature. In the morning I opened the bathroom door to the smell of sewerage and around 30-40 small flies in the toilet, sink and covering the bath and shower! Needless to say the bathroom had problems! We couldn't shower or wash due to smell and flies.

Breakfast was standard and edible, no complaints.

When we came to check out, I had taken some photos to show the receptionist, she apologized but it wasn't sincere, she said she would offer some money back and tell head office, she did refund me....... £10!! What a joke, no use of bathroom after a long night and a 4hr drive home.

We will never stay here again, shame because it could be so much more in the right hands.

I do not reccommded this hotel!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dan W
Reviewed 19 August 2014

highdown hotel which is set in the most beautiful location, next to the downs and with a wonderful garden attached. unfortunately the hotel doesn't live up to its location, mostly because of the lack of staff. no one to book you in or out, had to guess where your room was. breakfast it a bit early till 9am. they start clearing away at 8.45 am so don't come down late. the restaurant has a limited menu but the Carvery is really very nice so I wasn't upset at having to have that both nights. on Friday fish and chips were advertised but on the night weren't available.

its a bit like Faulty Towers, but saying that we stayed there again and intend to stay again on our next trip to Worthing. the parking is unlimited and there is a nice little teashop attached to the hotel.
F

Room Tip: ask for a family room as the ordinary double rooms seem to be smaller. we had room 5 which was very...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a profound sense of neglect. It could be lovely but the service is amateurish, the rooms are shabby and the corridor smelled of death. Very disappointing breakfast too with very standard basic options of low quality.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Dalston-guy
Reviewed 16 August 2014

came here today for Saturday lunch, the beef was rare in the middle so they offered to put a serving in a pan and cook it more which I accepted. Then got to the gravy and there wasn't any left. asked twice for it and it still took 15 to arrive, holding every one else up in the queue. when I actually tasted my dinner it was cold and the gravy has mint leaves in it, overly minty, ruining my whole meal. would not come here again unless I said I have a mint allergy so they would have to make me a separate cup of it.

• Stayed: August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worthing
Premier Inn Worthing Seafront Hotel
#8 of 10 in Worthing
Chatsworth Hotel
Chatsworth Hotel
#6 of 10 in Worthing

Been to The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!