“Nice welcome, average hotel”

Grand Victorian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Alcester, United Kingdom
“Nice welcome, average hotel”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Got checked in by the landlord Joe who came down to reception after i'd waited a while in the busy bar [there was football on]. Joe was really friendly and instantly put me at ease as after a long journey I just wanted to get to my room.

Sadly the hotel needs a bit of love. I was in room 1 and the windows were wide open when I got in there. After I closed them I realised why, it had the smell of a person who'd just come back from running a marathon. The floor couldn't have been hoovered either. To add to this decor was worn & dated and the TV buzzed really loudly when it was turned on. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, there was free wifi in the room and there was ample hot water but other than that I wasn't too impressed. The breakfast was ok (cooked buffet, fresh coffee & juice) but as I was late down (I got there 10 mins before it shut) they'd already cleared most of the other stuff away. I've definitely stayed in worse hotels but for £54 i thought it was a little over priced.

The Grand Vic is a big old building that was probably very impressive back in its heyday. Unfortunately it doesn't look like a lot has been done to it since said heyday and until they do it's not a place i'd really recommend. The bar was ill lit & busy when I arrived and it seemed to be a popular with a Wetherspoon type crowd. They have a happy hour from 12pm to 7pm. As for parking - there's no car park to the hotel but there's street parking available so long as (randomly) you don't park between 10am & 11am and between 2pm & 3pm as then it's permit holders only!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Hi

Just stayed at this hotel and i wouldnt stay there again. The place hadnt been hoovered - hair everywhere! Shower tap kept falling off the wall and there was mould in the corner of the room! For a extra £10 stay at the premier in up the road!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Worthing hotels

london
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I stayed here for one night for a wedding & booked this b&b as it was the cheapest around & the location was ideal right next to the station. The check-in time is quite late not til 2pm but this was made clear when I booked & as I arrived earlier than this I was able to leave my bags securely with staff & check -in later.

I was worried having read other reviews on here & as it's above a pub thought it could be a noisy night but I had a very comfortable stay. The pub was quiet when I checked in at around 8pm, it was a Sunday night so maybe that was why but my room was also on the first floor quite close to the pub & couldn't hear anything at all from the pub. Very quiet. Room was an adequate size, comfortable bed all very clean & with tea/coffee making facilities. Also impressed with the bathroom which was more than just a walk-in shower but had nice large bath as well.
Had the full English breakfast & selection of orange juice, tea or coffee & drinks were topped up when asked. It was not busy so I was served very quickly, it does seem to be one person doing all the breakfast so if it was busy with people you may end up waiting longer. But it was a lovely breakfast, staff were friendly, helpful & made a real effort to make sure guests were happy.

For me the location was absolutely perfect right next to the station with a taxi rank if you need it but sea front & town centre 10 mins walk away.

What was best for me was the price I thought it was excellent value for money & a lot cheaper than similar places. I would not hesitate in staying at the Grand Victorian again.
And the reviews saying the place looks old & tired... I disagree I loved the old decor of the pub, they've managed to maintain some original features, beautiful Tiffany lamps & it had a real charm without looking tired or dusty.
Would definitely book again.

Room Tip: Check-in not til 2pm.Breakfast served til 9am.Room 9 on 1st floor not the biggest or best view but w...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Scole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The potential that this place has is unbelievable. It retains it's character in the bar area, where you can perhaps get away with letting thing go a bit, but our room needed some attention. Saying that, we only really used it as a base to rest our heads and had a very comfortable night sleep. The breakfast did take a while, I would recommend giving yourself time in the morning, but that's a sign that it's not pre-cooked and just kept warm - things are done to order. Cannot speak highly enough of the staff as they were friendly, helpful and informative. I can see that a permanent receptionist may be a waste of money, I think it's a sensible business decision, and a quick trip round the corner into the bar area will find you a friendly face to check you in.
Overall, the issues can be pointed at the management company, not the team running it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This Hotel ticked all the boxes when I looked for a cheap Hotel in the Worthing area.
The TV remote did not work.
The full english breakfast arrived 45 minutes after being ordered. Even the tea took 20 minutes.
This Hotel suffers from a lack of staff and investment in decor.
Hotel had Karoke till 23:00 not mentioned on website.

Room Tip: Room was clean but amenities were basic, TV remote did not work.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank stevespittle
Manchester
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Stayed here for one night with my partner, curtain hanging off, rubbish left in the room. noise all night someone had pulled doors off welsh dresser in hallway during the night.
Chinese meal spilt all down the stairs, breakfast disgusting swimming in grease, (Waiter, cook and bottle washer same person!) would have been better suited being a bouncer seemed very agitated when I asked could my fried egg be actually cooked (looked raw on my plate) but came back like rubber, did complain about the noise during the night and the state of the room, but didn't seem to take my complaint seriously apparently this is owned by the Chapman Group so I am putting my complaint in writing as I said NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ManchesterMerseygirl
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The worst Hotel I have ever been to.... no toilet roll, no soap & the room stank of BO, we had to buy some soap & toilet roll & air freshener but we couldn't get rid of the foul sweaty stench, never any staff around, breakfast from 7 to 8am only & the service was a complete joke, DO NOT STAY HERE! You'd be better off paying a bit more & not being disappointed - would've given it zero out of 5 but one is the minimum... you have been warned.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family